News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Yes I have a Mac, where to go from here...

Started by whatapiper, May 23, 2009, 01:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haleakalari

^
just format whatever external drive you buy in unix file system, hfs or fat, and your mac will totally be able to access that shit. the mac4noobz sites are full of whiny douche-farts and self-important ass-dweebs though, be careful... but you can find many (just google macrumors and/or mac os x hints, also the apple.com discussion forums are extremely active). i'd be more specific but i still haven't had my caffeine for the day... feel free to p.m. with any questions though, i have mac(s), used to manage an all mac office network and well... when i'm awake, i like this sort of stuff.
The bemonstering of your ganache awaits!

jedifunk

yes, to all your questions ;)

but seriously, airtunes kicks ass... i use this everyday at my house to stream to 3 different sets of speakers throughout the house, and dont have issues... there were issues a while back but apple has upgraded the software and all is good now.

as for the hardware... i'd say get more RAM (4GB) and skip the bigger HD since it sounds like you'll be getting an external for your music and images.  you'll see a bigger increase in speed an efficiency by getting the RAM instead of the larger HD.

as for HDs... Buy whatever HD you'd like, and just reformat it to HFS+ from your mac.

congrats and welcome to the club!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

inourdr

Thanks haleakalari and jedifunk. Your input is appreciated. I think you're right with the 4GB Ram over the HD. Question though, I format the ExHD to HFS+ before I add files to it on my PC correct? Otherwise I'd lose the stuff I put on it right.

haleakalari

correct. format the drive before before you transfer files to it from your pc. format it in windows though, as fat32 for now. then when you have everything moved over to your mac, it's your choice what format you'd like to use permanently on the external drive.

i personally prefer unix file system, but if you don't plan on setting up any linux boxes anytime soon, hfs is a safe bet (especially if you're ditching your windows box after you've completely migrated). if you're planning on using the drive with both mac and windows boxes, fat is not a bad choice, except you can't write files over 4gb large to a fat drive (at-least with fat32) if you don't work with huge files though leave your drive formatted with fat, it's a safe choice for compatibility.

basically, if you're looking for native read/write support in os x *and* windows, stick with the fat format. if you're only concerned about mac/unix-like os compatibility though, unix file system and hfs are fine.

p.s. caffeine is kicking in ;]

jedifunk

i would say format to HFS+ before the migration. and use macdrive on windows to make the drive writeable by windows.  that way there's no chance of losing data in a reformat after the transfer.

if you have more questions i'd be happy to help you out.  and i could probably provide a copy of macdrive too
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

haleakalari

Quote from: jedifunk on June 09, 2009, 02:15:54 PM
...and use macdrive on windows to make the drive writeable by windows...

you sly fox. i haven't touched my windows machine in years. but out of curiosity, is macdrive more reliable on windows than the os x equivalent(s) alternative ntfs drivers (ntfs-3g etc...) are on a mac?

i've never had good luck with the ntfs drivers for os x, which is why i format any external drives that i need to use with windows and os x (or linux) with fat. basically, is the situation for read/write support with hfs drives on windows, better than the situation with ntfs drives on os x?

shoreline99

Quote from: jedifunk on June 09, 2009, 12:38:25 PM
but seriously, airtunes kicks ass... i use this everyday at my house to stream to 3 different sets of speakers throughout the house, and dont have issues... there were issues a while back but apple has upgraded the software and all is good now.

i have two airport express setups and use airtunes on both. the software upgrade cured all my ills; just make sure the airport has the latest firmware on it.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

jedifunk

Quote from: haleakalari on June 09, 2009, 02:43:37 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on June 09, 2009, 02:15:54 PM
...and use macdrive on windows to make the drive writeable by windows...

you sly fox. i haven't touched my windows machine in years. but out of curiosity, is macdrive more reliable on windows than the os x equivalent(s) alternative ntfs drivers (ntfs-3g etc...) are on a mac?

i've never had good luck with the ntfs drivers for os x, which is why i format any external drives that i need to use with windows and os x (or linux) with fat. basically, is the situation for read/write support with hfs drives on windows, better than the situation with ntfs drives on os x?

actually i've not used ntfs-3g... but have had good success with macfuse in the past.

my philosophy is that since 99% of my computing is done on my mac (not including at work), i should set up my system and workflow to be fully mac compatible.

i employ different techniques / softwares where necessary, including macfuse in some cases.  although i'd rather use something like macdrive on the PC than mess with my perfect mac workflow.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

haleakalari

Quote from: jedifunk on June 09, 2009, 05:12:33 PM
actually i've not used ntfs-3g... but have had good success with macfuse in the past.

my philosophy is that since 99% of my computing is done on my mac (not including at work), i should set up my system and workflow to be fully mac compatible.

i employ different techniques / softwares where necessary, including macfuse in some cases.  although i'd rather use something like macdrive on the PC than mess with my perfect mac workflow.

ahh. we have somewhat different approaches then. when i'm working for someone else, setting up a network or doing something like that, i ad-lib, i'll resort to using alternative drivers [like macfuse] and things of the sort. but on my personal machines, because i have so much spare electronics at home, i basically use specific devices for specific tasks rather than mucking around with extra applications or system extensions etc... so i have a few drives formatted fat, a few ufs, one hfs, and one ntfs. i only resort to using 3rd party apps to overcome compatibility issues when the situation is dire or i've run out of options (for instance, the only way i can fully utilize my messagepad 2000 with my macbook pro, is through a usb<->serial adapter and an accompanying system extension. or the only way i can reliably play ogg, flac and shorten files etc... is through using a third party application like cog). but if something can possibly be done with even the most byzantine set-up of bash scripts, apple scripts and event listeners, i'll do that rather than resort to an entire application. a lot of it probably has to do with my compulsion to tinker though ;]

jedifunk

we do the same thing then... i have very few times when i have to "ad-lib"... windows compatibility is one of them.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

haleakalari

^
then we are both full of win! :banana:

and, yes... apparently we do :]

inourdr

Purchased a 13inch MacBook Pro this weekend and must say I'm sad I didn't make the switch from PC to Mac YEARS ago! This thing rocks! Quick question for the Mac users here ... What Apps/Programs do you recommend I DL/Pruchase?

Thanks in advance for your help.

haleakalari

Quote from: inourdr on June 15, 2009, 02:38:08 PM
Purchased a 13inch MacBook Pro this weekend and must say I'm sad I didn't make the switch from PC to Mac YEARS ago! This thing rocks! Quick question for the Mac users here ... What Apps/Programs do you recommend I DL/Pruchase?

check out osx.iusethis.com
my profile is here: http://osx.iusethis.com/user/haleakalari
but look around, that site is full of good comments and suggestions.

jedifunk

nice haleakalari.... i haven't been over to iusethis in quite a while... i probably need to update my profile..

but yeah, inourdr, i sent you a PM so you should have lots to look at
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

inourdr

Quote from: haleakalari on June 16, 2009, 12:34:36 AM
Quote from: inourdr on June 15, 2009, 02:38:08 PM

check out osx.iusethis.com
my profile is here: http://osx.iusethis.com/user/haleakalari
but look around, that site is full of good comments and suggestions.

Thanks for referring me to osx.iusethis.com.... Another work day shot while I browse and make a "shopping list"!