News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

12/29 - Madison Square Garden - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by runawayjimbo, December 29, 2011, 11:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

OMG THIS YEM IS AWESOME.  Fucking from when Trey winds it up at 12:48 and then the fucking full-band rhythmic/thematic jamming afterwards...omg this is so good.
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

OMG THIS YEM JAMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

the ending could have continued on for longer, felt it was prematurely wrapped up in that its energy limit hadn't been reached.  But then it totally could have sinked into a SICK ambient-ish Type II groove before they brought the ending back with the Mike solo part. 

Regardless of the flubby parts early on, this was fucking SICK.  omg. 

%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

Gumbo72203

omg onto the Mike's.............   !!!!!!!!!!!!

best start to a Mike's jam since.....definitely pH, without a doubt.  when Trey starts the slow trill thing... omg.  OMG.  love Trey's new major key solo lick he throws in around 5 mins, which first appeared in the start of the Cities jam on 12/28

HD video with Schoepps audio:

Gumbo72203

onto Maze....  totally thought they were gonna start playing The Curtain at like somewhere after the 4 min mark. 

Theres some SERIOUSLY good shit in here.  Man, if they were touring with this level of playfulness and looseness, fuckin a.  Theres a lot of rust, but behind that rust, which is natural rust, which is an okay kind of rust, there lies a lot of fucking glowing positive gooey smirking.  Like, they know. 

Lifeboy

Quote from: mattstick on December 30, 2011, 09:55:47 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/31/arts/music/phish-at-madison-square-garden-review.html

Along with "Lifeboy," there was an unexpected twist: "Chalk Dust Torture," a Phish staple that still delights disgruntled undergraduates, somehow evolved during the jam into the recognizable melody of "This Is Hydrogen," played considerably faster than usual. It was the kind of variation that makes Phish's fans take notice, though it wasn't exactly a grand innovation.

lol
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

VA $l!m

Quote from: Lifeboy on December 30, 2011, 10:03:18 PM
Quote from: mattstick on December 30, 2011, 09:55:47 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/31/arts/music/phish-at-madison-square-garden-review.html

Along with "Lifeboy," there was an unexpected twist: "Chalk Dust Torture," a Phish staple that still delights disgruntled undergraduates, somehow evolved during the jam into the recognizable melody of "This Is Hydrogen," played considerably faster than usual. It was the kind of variation that makes Phish's fans take notice, though it wasn't exactly a grand innovation.

lol

heh, sorta sad when a NYtimes reviewer considers somethin  phish does not innovative... i mean, considering the frame of reference.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

WhatstheUse?

This was my favorite show of the run. I look forward to listening back.
Bring in the dude!

mbw

took this mikes groove for a spin on my way to work.

i thought the mikes was great the decision to go into chalkdust worked real well imo.
nice ripper there.

now.....  took some balls to try and seg into hydrogen from the middle of a chalkdust shred...and....it......ALMOST worked.
if they practiced more often and could hook up better, this would have been epic, but alas.

it wasnt as bad as folks made it seem while it was happening, and i have to give trey credit for trying something different.

really dug the slow, melodic, paug opening, which continues into the jam which is pretty cool for a while.  it fizzles pretty hard by the end though.

all in all, it was was a good listen.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 04, 2012, 01:03:28 PM

i thought the mikes was great the decision to go into chalkdust worked real well imo.
nice ripper there.

now.....  took some balls to try and seg into hydrogen from the middle of a chalkdust shred...and....it......ALMOST worked.
if they practiced more often and could hook up better, this would have been epic, but alas.

it wasnt as bad as folks made it seem while it was happening, and i have to give trey credit for trying something different.

really dug the slow, melodic, paug opening, which continues into the jam which is pretty cool for a while.  it fizzles pretty hard by the end though.

At first GAH and I were thinking it was a little Allman's then after he kept hitting on it we realized it was hydrogen, but I actually liked the segue.  Its definitely no tasty tranny material, but I enjoyed it live (webcast).
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

birdman

Quote from: UncleEbinezer on January 04, 2012, 02:59:50 PM
Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 04, 2012, 01:03:28 PM

nice ripper there.

At first GAH and I were thinking it was a little Allman's then after he kept hitting on it we realized it was hydrogen, but I actually liked the segue.  Its definitely no tasty tranny material, but I enjoyed it live (webcast).

Ha. I was yelling some nonsense about an Allman's tease while it was happening as well.
Personally, I thought this whole Mike's Groove rocked.  Easily my favorite of 3.0.  It's also the first 3.0 H2 I've seen that hasn't been horribly botched.
Paug FTMFW!

WhatstheUse?

Probably my favorite 3.0 Mikes groove as well. I didn't think the transition was all that bad and the Mikes and chalkdust had some great rock energy .
Bring in the dude!

gainesvillegreen

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog