News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New turntable/speakers

Started by aphineday, January 01, 2011, 01:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aphineday

Quote from: Hicks on January 04, 2011, 11:53:27 AM
Quote from: Igbo on January 04, 2011, 11:14:44 AM
I think everyone knows my love for my Technics 1200, i've posted it multiple times so i dont need to say how great of a table it is. Audiophile sure it's not, but  high quality and will last forever, yes.

Buuuuuut, if its your 1st turntable and $$$ may be an issue, why blow your wad asking "audiophile" types what to be? Next thing you know your in for $500+. Fuck it man, its your first turntable, look on craigslist. There are always people selling tables. You can get a decent Dual or even a used technics for $500 with a cartridge. OR, buy a shitbox table like a Best Buy Sony for $90 just to get started.

Basically, my advice is just get a good started table and save your money TO BUY RECORDS!!!! Who wants to have a sick system and your bargain bin scratchy copy of Frampton Comes Alive to play it on?

I agree, unless you want to DJ you don't really need a 1200.

Pick up a Technics DL or Pioneer direct drive turntable that's in good shape at Goodwill for $50 or so and you'll be set. 

Yes, when you are ready to buy speakers I will guru your shit!   :mrgreen:
Seems like solid advice, thanks to all of you for your input. Also, I'm definitely down to let you guru my system. We'll need to talk a little more in-depth to kind of figure out what I need once I get a little scratch put back, but should be in the near future.

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 05, 2011, 11:22:27 AM
I just wanted to jump in hear and say that you should just send the records to me, stick with flac and buy speakers from Hicks.

that is all.
:clap:
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

postjack

Technics SL1200MK2 - actually this retails for $800ish now, they had a recent price jump. still the best deck <$1000 IMO.
Pro-Ject Debut III or Rega RP1 - starter tables which include a prealigned cartridge, $300-$450 range. people seem to like these, though they might have pitch or noise issues you may or may not notice. all you need if you get one of these is a phono stage.

the best value is to do some research and buy a used vintage deck. if you go this route you'll probably have to get a new cart and align it, which will introduce you to a world of frustration and anger.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

aphineday

Thanks to all of you again. I found a used Fisher MT-6225 pretty close to me for $40. The link is below, and it looks like pretty decent shape for a vintage deck. I'll probably end up going with this for now.
EDIT: Here's the link: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ele/2144742355.html

antelope19

Quote from: aphineday on January 06, 2011, 12:22:22 PM
Thanks to all of you again. I found a used Fisher MT-6225 pretty close to me for $40. The link is below, and it looks like pretty decent shape for a vintage deck. I'll probably end up going with this for now.

I think that guy lives at an Olan Mills Studio!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Hicks

Do it, that AT cartridge looks like it's in nice shape and that's worth almost $40 right there.

ETA, assuming that's the actual TT you will get.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

aphineday

Quote from: antelope19 on January 06, 2011, 12:34:18 PM

I have literally been laughing out loud for the past 2 minutes. So right.

antelope19

Quote from: aphineday on January 06, 2011, 12:39:34 PM
Quote from: antelope19 on January 06, 2011, 12:34:18 PM

I have literally been laughing out loud for the past 2 minutes. So right.

:-o

I'd be careful when you go to pick it up.   :-D

In all seriousness, congrats on the new purchase!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

aphineday

Quote from: Hicks on January 06, 2011, 12:38:33 PM

Do it, that AT cartridge looks like it's in nice shape and that's worth almost $40 right there.

ETA, assuming that's the actual TT you will get.
Word, I'm all over it. Just emailed the guy and told him I'd take it. Should be picking up this evening!

aphineday

"I have a friend coming from Ames tonight to look at it, on the off hand chance he doesn't buy it, there is one other person in front of you, I'll let you know if it doesn't go to either one of them."
After I emailed him and asked if it was still for sale! What a fuck.

Pholy M. Pia

This is a very informative thread! It inspired me to hit craigslist and I'm now second in line to buy a Dual 1214 for $25, that went, in working order, into storage 20 years ago. This seems like a good deal from what I've been able to pick up here and skimming over at audiokarma.
So, If I might ask, is there anything I should know about this model? The low entry price makes it less than critical but any advice would be appreciated. Also, would I need a preamp to run this satisfactorily through an early nineties Onkyo component amp?
I've got my old vinyl collection waiting, but I'm just getting started in the realm of playback, looks like a steep, slippery slope.  :evil:
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

ph92

Quote from: aphineday on January 06, 2011, 12:58:15 PM
"I have a friend coming from Ames tonight to look at it, on the off hand chance he doesn't buy it, there is one other person in front of you, I'll let you know if it doesn't go to either one of them."
Did you ever end up getting that table dude?
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Caravan2001

Quote from: Pholy M. Pia on May 06, 2011, 12:32:23 PM
This is a very informative thread! It inspired me to hit craigslist and I'm now second in line to buy a Dual 1214 for $25, that went, in working order, into storage 20 years ago. This seems like a good deal from what I've been able to pick up here and skimming over at audiokarma.
So, If I might ask, is there anything I should know about this model? The low entry price makes it less than critical but any advice would be appreciated. Also, would I need a preamp to run this satisfactorily through an early nineties Onkyo component amp?
I've got my old vinyl collection waiting, but I'm just getting started in the realm of playback, looks like a steep, slippery slope.  :evil:

While the 1214 is on the lower end of the Dual line, it will do a great job for you provided it has a decent cartridge.  I have a 1219 and love it.  You shouldn't need a pre-amp to run it through the Onkyo.  Good luck!

mattstick

I have a 1219 too.  Love it.

Pholy M. Pia

Thanks! Here's hoping for the first caller flaking!
"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

aphineday

Quote from: phishhead92 on May 06, 2011, 12:37:13 PM
Quote from: aphineday on January 06, 2011, 12:58:15 PM
Did you ever end up getting that table dude?
Nope, he ended up selling it to the first guy I guess. Money got a little tight, so I kind of put this on the back burner even though I didn't want to. By a weird turn of events, over Easter a friend of mine who is moving to China offered to give me her current table. Pretty sweet even though I have no idea what type of table it is. We'll see.