News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fall '96 open critique

Started by susep, October 25, 2005, 03:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

susep

I thought it would be fun if we talked about this tour esp. in light of its catapult of Phish towards funkdiom.

susep

3Nov>Bouncin' sounds unique with Perazzo certainly more towards the African influence Trey recently spoke of.  Tweezer begins funky and click clockedy>comparable to 24July99 in rythym/time>nice statements by Trey>nice contrast to the poly rythymic Perazzo>jam sounding like Dec. 95>clock returns>Phish searching for the collective, MMW style expression>high sustain by Trey>certainly over-rated imo. :-D

6Nov>FEFY features inspired runs by Trey.  Bowie rages like a good set closer.  Mike's sets an omnious tone>post jam finds Page experimenting leaving Trey sparse lines but great funk rythym/effect practice.

7Nov>Stash rips, standout version.  Gin contains its always evolving expression>hooking up big time>Page dominating>many moods.  Again overrated.  :-D  By ths time YEM had become funk #1 or 2 or ...

8Nov>DWD rages like many '96 versions.  Lope pushes the limits, liquid Trey.  Simple has it, that sound of simplicity>Trey on his rack>loops>raging Trey crescendo.  Funky Mike's into blazing Trey>cool jam follows. 

9Nov>Melt has a nice flow, descending chromaticism>high energy.  Funk house in YEM>over a year later they would drop the ultimate funk bomb at the Palace>great sound, crowd loving it>hose down.  Tasting better each show.

11Nov>Brother rages, great version ala 31Oct.  Timber yields he jamming>Fish racous infuences Trey>intenional soloing>experimental>Zappa-esque>great version.  Tweezer begins funky hinting at Mike's 8Nov jam>nice rythym by Trey but hits the rack too early>more funky then 3Nov, Mike esp.>nice transition>he sustain into 31Dec91 like breakdown/outro.

13Nov>post-Suzy jam not as connected but Phish showing their all about letting go>Dec '95 sound>another YEM is another scale on the Phish exoskeleton>nice solo effort by Trey.

15Nov>Maki-"stink kind".  Rippin' Maze>like so any on this tour this one burns.  Mike's transitions nto a neat, MSG95-esque groove.  Mean Mr.>Trey's love for Abbey Road.

mattstick

There's so much goodstuff on the Fall '96 tour, people slam it all the time, mostly because of all the Billy Breathes material - but if you made a highlights disc of the entire tour it would be right up there with any other.

crnl4bn

Quote from: mattstick on October 25, 2005, 05:36:24 PM
There's so much goodstuff on the Fall '96 tour, people slam it all the time, mostly because of all the Billy Breathes material - but if you made a highlights disc of the entire tour it would be right up there with any other.

righty-o...

http://db.etree.org/flavaflav

This opportune physical form
Is worth more than a wish-granting gem.
You only gain its like the once.
So hard to get, so easily destroyed,
It's like a lightning bolt in the sky.

Contemplate this, and you will realize
All worldly actions are but winnowed chaff,
And night and day you must
Extract some essence from your life.
I, the yogi, practiced this way;
You, wanting liberation, do the same!

- Lord Tsongkhapa, King of the Dharma

Itsnotanexperience

that's true......lots of stuff to really enjoy, and you could put the 12/6/96 show right up there w/ several more classic shows........

Alumni

Bumping this one following Project '96's  11.23.96 seed.

One general memory of Fall '96 that I have is that there was a lot of hand-wringing over whether Trey would ever "wail" anymore, or if he would just beat around on the mini-kit at every opportunity (And in fairness, it's not as though anybody had a pile of '97 CDRs lying around to proove that this would pay off).

After listening to 11.23.96 on a 2 hour drive yesterday . . . yikes. I don't think that's what people had in mind. I'm not sure whether Trey was playing the 'doc or committing aggravated assault upon it. It might have been a blast to see live, and it's memorable for its, um, energy. But on CD, in a car, with no sentimental stuff in the picture, this show struck me as the ANTI-n*sync that we were talking about recently. There are some really good Fall 96s, but this ain't one of 'em, imo. $.02
Cause I got a degree

Itsnotanexperience

interesting commentary - i've never heard the show but just dl'd it - now i can't wait ot hear what you're talking about............good point about the "wail"  - you're right - i remember sitting at the 11/15/96 show listening to a very jaded head bitching about that very thing........."trey's a fucking guitarist, not a drummer, ya know what i mean, man??!"   

mattstick

I've always thought 11/23 was one of the weakest shows of the tour.

Mid-Highway Blues is cool, but that's about it.

susep

Quote from: mattstick on November 04, 2005, 09:14:06 AM
I've always thought 11/23 was one of the weakest shows of the tour.

Mid-Highway Blues is cool, but that's about it.

I kind of dig the Mike's Groove(although by the end of 'paug Trey sounds out of tune) w/ funny Makisupa about the border incident. :mrgreen:

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: susep73 on October 25, 2005, 05:17:26 PM
7Nov>Stash rips, standout version. 

Yes, yes, and yes.  Had that Gin not occurred in Lexington that night, I think many of us would be talking about this Stash.

I love this tour.  Simple spread it's wings.  Has one the best Reba's ever performed (imo) in 11/8 (and Reba was performed well and often throughout the tour).  There was marked increase in Down with Disease from the Summer.  Second set 11/27 is one of the best of the year.  11/2 can be argued (not by me) that way as well.  10/26 is one of my personal favorite shows to throw on at any time and listen from beginning to end.  And on and on...     

susep

12/4 smokes, 12/1, 11/19, 11/16 also rock.

ucusty

there was alot of shows on that tour....

OctopusRider

I only saw a few shows in Fall '96. Civic Arena 11-24-96 and the Philly Holiday shows. What do you all think of those shows???

susep

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 17, 2006, 02:29:02 PM
Has one the best Reba's ever performed (imo) in 11/8 (and Reba was performed well and often throughout the tour).

1Dec. is another cool version.  I listened to 8Nov. last night and I like the "woot-woot" jamming.  The "woot-woot" is heard in a lot of the jams, 11Nov. Tweezer, 9Nov. YEM et al.  Definitely an ear-mark for that tour.

mattstick

No doubt.  I love that 11/11/96 Tweezer - I used to have a great vid of it on VHS and must've watched that Tweezer 100 times.