News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

DISCO BISCUITS

Started by woodsyn2o, April 24, 2007, 08:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechad

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 16, 2007, 07:57:01 AM
The biscuits were amazing....

....like 8 years ago.

Agree, but maybe more like 10 to 11 years ago.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

williaa

i dont know about 10-11 years ago, you cant really hear those recordings (at least the ones from 96 you cant really find)  That was when they were covering the phish.

thechad

I saw them at the Gathering of the Vibes in '96 and they weren't that bad, and their 1st album was out at the time.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

Casey Lenahan

heres the real setlist

05/20/07 The Town Ballroom, Buffalo, NY
Set I: Sweating Bullets, Highwire> I Remember When, Nughuffer, Frog Legs
Set II: Basis For A Day> Floodlights> Solstice> Confrontation> Above The Waves1> Basis For A Day
Encore: Reactor2> Confrontation

1 Inverted
2 Dyslexic completion of 5/16/07 version
I owe Aug $20

haleakalari

to all the naysayers. you can not really judge the biscuits negatively until you have heard some of their stuff from before altman left in their heyday. if you pick up either the 4.30.99 and/or the 10.19.02 shows [my favourite examples] off of archive.org, listen to them and still don't like them, then... well, you really don't like them. but until you have heard a sick show from when altman was still around, don't be so quick to cast the biscuits aside, provided their new drummer improves with time.
The bemonstering of your ganache awaits!

sophist

I just don't like them.  I've seen them live, and I've heard a dozen or so shows and I just can't get into it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

haleakalari

if some of the stuff you have heard and some of the times you have seen them play were with altman around, then you really dont like them. i only say this because they sound so different without him, so it is almost like judging two different groups as one.
The bemonstering of your ganache awaits!

williaa

I completely agree with you, haleakalari.  My first biscuits shows were during the starland 06 run, and I loved it, but Allen and the 2.0 sound is completely different than the sound with Sammy.  Sammy is more like a drummer, whereas I feel sometimes that Allen is part machine.  He doesnt "imrpovise" or change the beat as much as Sammy did, Sammy's almost like a trance/techno version of Fishman (Begin Flaming).

Dont get me wrong though, Allen is an incredible drummer, and hes such a perfectionist that you can compare him to a drum machine.  I just like how Sammy sounds and improvises more like a traditional drummer

danje

I find it interesting that most of us younger paugers that never saw Phish like the Disco Biscuits, where as those that saw Phish seem to dislike the Disco Biscuits.

Casey Lenahan

probably because most of the 'paugers that saw phish are older and cant really handle the transfusion beat anymore, as to where us younger 'paugers still have it in us because we are 50 less phish shows under the belt. Im sure dancing to that much phish would whoop me up too.
I owe Aug $20

kellerb

I'm just waiting until they do a set that looks like Sandstorm->zombie Nation->some dj tiesto track->zombie nation->Sandstorm.

thats some shit I can boogie to.

rowjimmy

Quote from: haleakalari on May 21, 2007, 05:10:20 PM
to all the naysayers. you can not really judge the biscuits negatively until you have heard some of their stuff from before altman left in their heyday. if you pick up either the 4.30.99 and/or the 10.19.02 shows [my favourite examples] off of archive.org, listen to them and still don't like them, then... well, you really don't like them. but until you have heard a sick show from when altman was still around, don't be so quick to cast the biscuits aside, provided their new drummer improves with time.

So I should love a band because they used to be good?

Hrmmm... works for phish I guess.

Seriously tho, I've seen them. They bored me.

I've said it before, I'll say it again.
Music needs dynamics.

60 minutes of deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedlewhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha
deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedlewhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha
deedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedledeedlewhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawhawha
bores me.

then they play a second set.

sophist

Quote from: haleakalari on May 21, 2007, 05:17:43 PM
if some of the stuff you have heard and some of the times you have seen them play were with altman around, then you really dont like them. i only say this because they sound so different without him, so it is almost like judging two different groups as one.

I saw them in Atlanta 2002, and in Asheville in 2003.  I can't get into it. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 17, 2007, 07:51:53 AM
You probably read this:

But what you didn't see, was this:

I failed to mention that the producers actually got the PA turned down but then the band's sound crew turned it back up. Shitty . Real Shitty.
:lol:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=506697
Here ya go RJ.   :-P

rowjimmy