News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R10/W07: 09-09-2000 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Started by pnchundi, October 04, 2010, 12:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pnchundi

Saturday, 09/09/2000 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Set 1: Possum, My Friend, My Friend[1] -> Jam > Gumbo > Maze, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Roggae, Guyute, Run Like an Antelope[2]

Set 2: Gotta Jibboo, The Curtain > Sand[3], Makisupa Policeman[4], Cars Trucks Buses[4], Funky Bitch[4], Cavern

Encore: Harry Hood[4]

[1] No "Myfe" lyric.
[2] Tom Marshall spoke the lyrics to Antelope.
[3] Michael Ray on trumpet and included a First Tube tease.
[4] Michael Ray on trumpet.

Notes: The My Friend ending did not contain the "Myfe" lyric. Tom Marshall spoke the lyrics to Antelope. Sand through Funky Bitch and Hood featured Michael Ray on trumpet. When he wasn't playing, Ray was dancing around the stage and exhorting the appreciative crowd. During Hood, he sat and relaxed in front of the drum riser before pulling several people out of the crowd, who proceeded to sit around the stage and occasionally dance. Trey thanked them as "The Michael Ray chorus." Sand included a First Tube tease

Here is my pick a week early.  I dont have loss/lossy at my fingers, so exalt to those of you who step in and help an unorganized wookie out.

Lossy (via the spreadsheet)

01- August
02 - RJ
03  KHalpin
04 Uncle Eb
05 Jezmund
06- MbW
07- Bvaz
08- Pnchundi
09- Sophist

mbw

justjezmund

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on October 04, 2010, 07:07:12 PM
anyone want/need teh lossless?

im grabbin it off bt but if you have it already you should up it.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mbw

sampled both sobel sources
both are distant, this one is less bassy, better, imo...

QuotePhish
September 9, 2000
Pepsi Arena
Albany, NY

source:
Schoeps mk41 > kc5 > cmc6 > Sonosax SX-M2 > Apogee AD-1000 > Tascam DA-P1 (@ 44.1 kHz)

transfer:
Sony PCM-R500 > Tascam HD-P2 > CF Card > usb > pc > WaveLab 5.01b (fades) > CD Wave v1.94.7 > FLAC v1.1.2 (Level 8)

recorded by Dave Flaschner
transferred by Jason Sobel (jasonsobel@gmail.com)
seeded May 6, 2006

Disc 1 - [72:54]
Set I
01 - [07:13] - Possum
02 - [07:34] - My Friend My Friend >
03 - [09:44] - Gumbo >
04 - [10:22] - Maze
05 - [06:18] - Boogie On Reggae Woman
06 - [08:21] - Roggae
07 - [11:38] - Guyute
08 - [11:45] - Run Like an Antelope

Disc 2 - [79:53]
Set II
01 - [11:49] - Gotta Jibboo
02 - [06:35] - The Curtain >
03 - [19:56] - Sand
04 - [04:37] - Makisupa Policeman
05 - [04:51] - Cars Trucks Buses
06 - [07:53] - Funky Bitch
07 - [04:32] - Cavern
08 - [02:40] - encore break
09 - [16:59] - Harry Hood

Show Notes:
Sand through Funky Bitch, and Hood, featured Michael Ray on trumpet.
When he wasn't playing, Ray was dancing around the stage and exhorting the appreciative crowd.
During Hood, he sat and relaxed in front of the drum riser before pulling several people out of the crowd,
who proceeded to sit around the stage and occasionally dance. Trey thanked them as "the Michael Ray chorus".

lossless (will stay on for .....24 hrs) - http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=517034
lossy - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YGFGG1ZF

blatboom

my 7th show!  walked out feeling like a million bucks despite Michael Ray & the Unfinished Hood (which should be classified as some sort of crime against humanity).  the tapes never held up to me but I do love the MFMF>Gumbo>Maze sequence.

khalpin

I haven't heard this one since the show.  I remember liking the first set and then drinking the Haterade in the second, thinking "Get this f*&%ing guy off the stage already".

Possum - Opening things up with some rockin' blues.
My Friend - A bit of a rough patch in the intro.  The screaming effect prior to Trey's solo is huge, as is Trey's short solo.  Makes up for the intro.  Cool spacey outro, too.
Gumbo - Pretty standard until the outro where it's a full band jam, which is pretty damn cool.
Maze - I remember this being the one tune I was hoping to catch at Albany and I got it the second night.  And it was SMOKIN'!!!  Great Maze.
Boogie On Reggae Woman - Tasty stuff here.
Roggae - :tte:
Guyute - A nice pick me up after that last one.  Played nice and tight.
Antelope - Not mind-blowing, but a nice capper to the set.  Tom Marshall makes a guest appearance and then a personal shout out to ME!!!!!!!  F&%* YEAH!!!!  :beerbang: :rawk: Listen for it at about 11:22 "This set is for Kevin Halpin, thank you".  I guess I didn't pick up on it at the show.  That would've really messed with my head.

Jiboo - Pretty standard.
Curtain - Nice!  Always great to hear.  Segues into.......nothing.
First Tube - nope, but Fishman thought it was...
Sand - Uugh.  This song is way too repetitive for my liking.  Plods along for 15 minutes and then Micheal Ray comes out.  Actually, at least it's a bit of a change of pace for a minute before he starts to pull people from the crowd onstage.  A nice little First Tube tease by Michael Ray.  Pretty cool.
Makisupa - Better than your average version, I thought.
CTB - Certainly a unique version.  I love how Page busts into his piano solo on fire.  Kind of "Hey, this is my song!"
Funky Bitch - The trumpet doesn't really work so well here, I don't think.  Some sweet fills by Mike there in between the trumpet and guitar solos.
Cavern - To close it out.
Hood - Can't ask for a better encore, IMO.  Unless it's unfinished.  Grrrr.  Maybe I'll fiddle around with this and splice in the ending from another Hood.  It's actually really solid and has some great playing.  Would've been great if they just finished it at 13:30.

I have mixed feelings on this one.  The first set is pretty hot and has a nice setlist.  The second set, on the other hand, is kind of a tease.  There's no meat to it.  You get a nice Curtain, but the rest of the set really does nothing for me, except for the encore (which is awesome, but unfinished).  I guess Cars Trucks and Buses was pretty cool, but not a set-saver or anything. First set A-, second set C.

rowjimmy

I was going to
post another song by song
series of haiku

but this show has not
inspired me to such lengths.
so i'll keep this quick

Honestly, I could take or leave the first set. Aside from the flubs in My Friend, there's nothing wrong with it but it doesn't really blast off either.

Sand was just starting to bore me when Michael Ray takes his solo. That I enjoyed.
I also enjoyed listening to Trey and Ray trade licks on Funky Bitch and the Hood was great no matter what.

pnchundi

Possum-  always a good way to start a show, page sounds good, and trey rips early on
my friend- good version, slightly improved, trey has a really heavy sound too.  i like the way the ending just drops into
gumbo- thick and tasty with a neat little jam at the end
maze- serious heat.  they arer really dialed in to each other and it makes for fun times
boogie- more gumbo flavor but it doesnt take off
roggae- i'll take this over B&R anyday
Guyute- wow a little surprise and its sounds good.
Antelope- hot damn.  Lots of energy here

A solid first seat with a great maze and lope.  The gumbo jam is pretty cool too, and while I like fish as a drummer, its rare for me to listen and appreciate what he is doing up there because Mike and Trey usually dominate my ear space.  But fish is kicking it up there throughout.  b+

jibboo- 3 mins in and trey starts the loops and this is where things start to go horribly wrong.  Fish and Mike seem to get really bored and just play the same thing over and over where Trey just wanks all over the place.  About 9 mins in Mike and Fish finally do something to alter the structure and try to create something, but at that moment, Trey is like "i'm peaking" but no one else is.  So the ending is forced and you can hear Fish steer them into the outro.
Curtain- lots of tension on stage as they are really trying to connect with each other.  Makes for an interesting take on curtain; the end is sort of left open and for a second I hoped for a "with" but instead
Sand- didnt you learn from jibboo? Early part is okay, but then trey goes into loopy land and then disappears.  Did he leave the stage to go take a dump? I go to shows to hear him play guitar not to have two keyboardists creating flat spacy sounds while the drum and bass limp along on twisted ankles.   When Ray finally comes out at 13 mins he does a couple of half hearted runs, and the band gets a little energy back and then next 5 mins are pretty cool.
Makisupa- schawg.  Nice interplay here by all
CTB- the one song they actually practiced here but the late 2nd set placement is odd
FunkyB- solid
Cavern- they got this one right.

Hood- they stretch out the opening, and the composed sections are solid.  Something really cool begins to happen as they build the tension/release sections, Ray comes in and actually adds something really positive, and then things are really humming along and Trey just stops playing? What? Thanks everyone? We arent gonna finish this? I imagine there were some angry discussions on the bus that night.

So I really liked this pick because it showcases one band in two entirely different places, one tight and focused, and the other bogged down by different worlds.  I dont know what happened in the set break, but Trey came back different.  Part of the problem is the Trey tunes; they are simple groove based repetitions so that a guitar player can layer sounds on top of them.  The problem is that Phish is capable of so much more than spacey funk as they proved through out 94/95.  For them to land back into this space speaks of laziness and shows the strains of being on the road for 17 years.  I get that Trey is trying to challenge himself and try on different roles within the band, but it should be at the cost of the music.  I think by the time we get to 3.0 Phish did figure out what to do with those songs and found a way to make them fresh and new again. 

Poor Ray stumbled into a mess in the second set, but I do think he pulled off something fresh in Makisupa/CTB.    First set B+, second set C, overall low b-.   Whats funny is that I havent heard this show in 7 or 8 years but I remembered really liking it. 

sophist

Quote from: pnchundi on October 04, 2010, 12:57:25 PM
Saturday, 09/09/2000 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY

Set 1: Possum, My Friend, My Friend[1] -> Jam > Gumbo > Maze, Boogie On Reggae Woman, Roggae, Guyute, Run Like an Antelope[2]

Set 2: Gotta Jibboo, The Curtain > Sand[3], Makisupa Policeman[4], Cars Trucks Buses[4], Funky Bitch[4], Cavern

Encore: Harry Hood[4]

[1] No "Myfe" lyric.
[2] Tom Marshall spoke the lyrics to Antelope.
[3] Michael Ray on trumpet and included a First Tube tease.
[4] Michael Ray on trumpet.

Notes: The My Friend ending did not contain the "Myfe" lyric. Tom Marshall spoke the lyrics to Antelope. Sand through Funky Bitch and Hood featured Michael Ray on trumpet. When he wasn't playing, Ray was dancing around the stage and exhorting the appreciative crowd. During Hood, he sat and relaxed in front of the drum riser before pulling several people out of the crowd, who proceeded to sit around the stage and occasionally dance. Trey thanked them as "The Michael Ray chorus." Sand included a First Tube tease

Here is my pick a week early.  I dont have loss/lossy at my fingers, so exalt to those of you who step in and help an unorganized wookie out.

Set I. 

I like set I a lot.  Several highlights for me:  MFMF > Gumbo > Maze.  The jam in Gumbo is dirty.  Great version of Maze too.  Raging Antelope to close the set I.  Set I is a solid A to me.  Tight playing, great song selection. 

Set II. 

Jibbo has some soaring Trey.  I dig it.  Solid version here.  Sand is sand, it kind of meanders until Ray steps in, then it gets interesting.  Very Miles Davis like sound to it with him sitting in.  Never been a fan of the tune.  Rest of the set is standard to me, but I dig Ray's sit ins this set.  Encore is awesome.  Set II + e is a solid b-/b. 

Overall I liked this show.  Good pick.  On to the final week >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

justjezmund

i never like to skimp with the review notes.  But i really wasnt feeling this show at all.

set 1

i like the possum opener and besides the mfmf lyrics, the >gumbo>maze is pretty cool. Antelope also finishes the set pretty hot.

set 2

pretty standard stuff through out i thought.  Horn sit ins usually perk me up a bit but this time i hate to say nothing standout-ish. 

E

Hood always rules. 

def not a bad show, but not one to write home about.  Ill give it a C
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

mbw

RD10/W7 9/9/00 Pepsi Arena Albany NY

I
Possum - let the games begin.  Lots of energy from the crowd and band.

MFMF - the double opener.  Love how the end melts into goo >

Gumbo - little trouble remembering how to get through this.  Interesting little trippy dance groove emerges >

Maze - whoa.  This maze is SER BIZ!  For ser.

Boogie - just ok.

Roggae - cool.  While it can be an energy zapper, I like it and it fits in the dark set.

Guyute - keeping it dark.  I wasn't feeling this one though, think I'm a little burnt out on Guyute right now.

Antelope - this set needed a little energy.  Raged at the end.  Tom is always fun.

II
Jibboo - love how this jam seems to float on air.  Gets on a little long though.

Curtain - played well >

Sand - ooof.  Pretty rough start.  They try a few different tempo's before settling on 'slooow.'  Fish still seems to want to mess with the tempo, trying to pull a "We meant to do that."  I ain't buying it.  Trey puts in some nice dirty soloing.  Ray comes and and some nice music is made.  Sounds like Bitches Brew for a while.  It goes on way to long though, and Ray, sensing it, throws in a First Tube tease as if to tell them its about time to change it up.

Makisupa - schwag.  Just ok, ends abruptly.

CTB - pretty cool.  Some nice playing from Ray.  This set is starting to feel a little lifeless to me though.

Bitch - rocked pretty well.  Ray just starting to play sporadically.  Sitting down?  lol.  Some bizzare yet cool shredding from Trey.

Cavern - to end it.

Hood - very cool as an encore, put something just isn't right with this one.  Ray pops in at the end and it is left unfinished.  Trey takes a jab at Ray for sitting down when he 'couldn't find his horn.'

So, I liked the dark first set.  Possum through Maze sounded great, with the Maze as the highlight.  Petered out after that a little.  The second set was strange.  Ray started out sounding really good with the band, and then stepped back.  The band seemed to be playing backup to him, giving him ample time to shine, which he only took about 50% advantage of, leaving a set with not much Phish and a half-assed guest. 

Thanks for the listen.  C+/B-

khalpin

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on October 12, 2010, 09:34:46 PM
leaving a set with not much Phish and a half-assed guest. 
That's a very good summary of the second set.

sprobeck

I'm listening to this right now. Just happend to put it on. Didn't know about this thread. Anyway, just started but I dig the Possum :banana:
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

birdman

This was the first show I ever attended where I sat down the majority of the night.
Age'd
Paug FTMFW!

blatboom

man. maybe this is the worst prehiatus show I saw?  I had some really good drugs so it's hard to tell...