News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What's going on with etree?

Started by mistercharlie, September 17, 2018, 06:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

So it looks like bt.etree.com and db.etree.com are both gone! Does anyone have any info on what is going on?
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mattstick

09/17 15:28 mgoldey : db.etree will be back shortly.  no idea about bt.etree

09/17 15:31 squints777 : IS the problem at btetree monetary? or is it just drama?

09/17 15:33 mgoldey : all drama
09/17 15:33 mgoldey : and lack of site maintenance or improvement over a period of 15 years

mattstick

09/17 15:35 mgoldey : heh, the other problem is that UNC is under a foot of water so they can't do any support on the servers at the moment
09/17 15:35 mgoldey : but that will change soon enough

mistercharlie

Man,that sucks. I Love bt.etree. I would just grab random shows sometimes and stoke gold, other times the music was crap. But the thrill of the dig is what kept me going.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Greetings friend!

etree.org has been the worldwide leader in legal lossless live music trading for quite a while now. And, as with any old dog learning new tricks, we got a little rickety.

We know you're concerned.

The Server Team is currently working hard to get things up and rolling again. Really hard. Trust us.

So - thanks for your patience while the new "tricks" get hammered smooth. And don't fear!

ETREE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE AND WILL BE BACK SOON!!

Maybe some questions we can answer:

• are you guys ok?
A: YES! It's work, but we love it!

• do you know what happened around aug 21st?
A: YES! When we get everything straight we'll let everyone hear the whole story...

• is there anything - I - can do to help?
A: YES! Bear with us while we figure out what that may be. .... ......

• does anyone need me to miracle my extra VIP package tickets with round trip airfare and everything included to Riviera Mara?
A: YES! Bring 'em on!!!

Thanks again, truly, for the selfless contributions YOU have made all this time to make etree.org the best community in music!

Cheers,

Your etree.org Server Team
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

tet

Quote from: Hicks on September 17, 2018, 07:26:43 PM

Greetings friend!

etree.org has been the worldwide leader in legal lossless live music trading for quite a while now. And, as with any old dog learning new tricks, we got a little rickety.

The Server Team is currently working hard to get things up and rolling again. Really hard. Trust us.

So - thanks for your patience while the new "tricks" get hammered smooth. And don't fear!

• are you guys ok?

A: YES! When we get everything straight we'll let everyone hear the whole story...

• does anyone need me to miracle my extra VIP package tickets with round trip airfare and everything included to Riviera Mara?

Thanks again, truly, for the selfless contributions YOU have made all this time to make etree.org the best community in music!

Cheers,

OK.  But when will then be now?
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

ytowndan

Quote from: tet on September 17, 2018, 07:31:33 PM

Greetings friend!

• are you guys ok?

Cheers,

You just missed it! 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Hicks

Quote from: ytowndan on September 17, 2018, 07:40:29 PM

Greetings friend!

• are you guys ok?

Cheers,

You just missed it!

Soon!
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on September 17, 2018, 07:55:14 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on September 17, 2018, 07:40:29 PM

Greetings friend!

• are you guys ok?

Cheers,

You just missed it!

Soon!

rowjimmy

mgoldey still leading the charge, I see...

ytowndan

Does anyone remember the beta version of what was supposed to be the "new" bt.etree?  This was maybe 8 years ago, it was a gazelle tracker, just like what.cd.  I hope something like that can happen again, it was very clean and modern.  It seemed like it was all ready to launch and there was talk that they were gonna go public, but then it just died for no explicable reason (at least that I knew of).  Pretty flaky management I suppose.

Hicks

From Mark Goldey:

There's quite a bit of misinformation here, so let me sort things out a bit. Gonna do this in the shortest way possible.

1) A few weeks ago, on 8/21, db.etree increased the security of logins because someone contacted us and explained a security breach he had found, and we fixed it.

2) This temporarily broke logins on bt.etree because the bt site never developed its own user sign up or authentication system. We told Trey, the bt admin who still runs the site, what was done and how to upgrade to bt site to use the new system, but it took something like 3 weeks until 9/14 or so. Y'all saw that, I suspect. No idea why, but Trey has a real life and we all do, too.

3) One side effect of being unable to log in to bt.etree is that you couldn't upload. 'Cause, you need to log in to upload, right? If you were still logged in via your browser and did upload, the torrent wouldn't seed because the site couldn't authenticate the seeder when he did the intiial download. (Or something along those lines. I don't run bt.etree and as you'll see I don't try to fix it.)

4) At the same time, there's something wrong with the bt site. Well, there are lots of things wrong with it, but specifically the seeder/leecher info, which was never really accurate all these years -- you've probably experienced this if you seed there -- stopped updating on the web page itself.

5) Even though the list of peers was being fed to the backend database from the bt tracker, when you went to bt.etree.org the website list of torrents wouldn't update properly because, by default it only shows active seeds, and the website itself couldn't find any active seeds. I don't really understand why, since the database itself works. It's probably the code on the bt.etree website, which really hasn't been meaningfully maintained or updated in 10 or 12 years. Tom and I pointed out what we could and checked with the site host that the database scripts were running with the correct user permissions, etc., but that's about all we could do.

6) On Friday night, 9/14, an old-time etree admin (not Trey) threw a hissy fit when he couldn't fix the bt site. He blamed Tom Anderson and me for these problems, and then decided all on his own that db.etree wouldn't be part of etree any more. Nevermind that the db has been around for 18 years and longer than the bt tracker, and that the ownership of etree.org is a community resource.

7) This person controls the etree.org DNS. And he likes to act out, so he decided to redirect db.etree.org from ibiblio at UNC, where it's hosted, to some other server that's configured to throw an error, with no explanation. If you've seen the "ngnix" message, that's the one. He also put up the various "goodbye" messages that you've seen and the strange login page that does nowhere. This sort of thing has happened before, you may recall if you've been in the community long enough.

8) Nothing has happened to db.etree except that the site won't load anymore because you wind up someplace else. Tom and I will attend to that once UNC dries out a bit from hurricane Florence and they can give us some assistance to solve the DNS problem. Nothing to do but wait. But your list is still there. The db is still there. That's not going to change.

9) As for bt.etree itself, I can't say. It was never really my problem, although lord knows I put a lot of time into supporting site users who couldn't get help from the "server team" over the years. Indeed, that's how I know many of you. In any case, bt is no longer my problem. I hope the site is restored soon, but I can't say because I don't know.

Hope that's useful information. As before, you can reach the db team at etreedb@googlegroups.com, which hasn't changed all these years. (Babies can't change Google's DNS, you know?).

ytowndan

Thanks for the update, Jason!  Glad to hear the db hasn't lost all its entries or anything crazy like that. 

kellerb

jasonsobel

sing me back home before I die