News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What's your favorite opener, and why?

Started by Gundo, October 29, 2015, 03:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcr3

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 29, 2015, 09:52:46 AM
I gotta go with Buried Alive as well. There's other songs I like more -- But nothing else makes quite the statement like Buried Alive opener. Like RJ pointed out, it's almost always the sign of a great show to come.

Can't go wrong with a Llama opener. Runaway Jim>Foam is another classic combo that get's me psyched...

I listened to some Aug93 show recently that opened with BBFCFM. That shit ruled face.

8/8/93
Nautica Stage, Cleveland, OH
Set 1: Big Black Furry Creature from Mars, Foam, Loving Cup, Runaway Jim, The Horse[1] > Silent in the Morning > Punch You In the Eye, Fast Enough for You, Paul and Silas, I Didn't Know[2], David Bowie[3]
Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Rift, Harry Hood, Wilson > It's Ice > Fluffhead > Possum > Big Ball Jam, Hold Your Head Up > Love You > Hold Your Head Up, Daniel Saw the Stone, Good Times Bad Times
Encore: My Sweet One, Free Bird
[1] Trey on acoustic guitar.
[2] Fish on Madonna washboard.
[3] Random Note and Simpsons signals.
Teases:
· Divided Sky tease in Big Black Furry Creature from Mars
· Dixie tease in Foam
· Tequila tease in Possum
· Charge! tease in Hold Your Head Up
· Rock and Roll Part Two tease
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

WhatstheUse?

That's the ticket!

Also, that show is proof that Phish can play a fantastic show with virtually no "jams" -- I wouldn't necessarily say it stands out against most other gigs that month but it's a damn fine music concert!
Bring in the dude!

emay

Llama

or Bowie

Or PYITE

tweeprise is great too

birdman

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 29, 2015, 10:01:06 AM
That's the ticket!

Also, that show is proof that Phish can play a fantastic show with virtually no "jams" -- I wouldn't necessarily say it stands out against most other gigs that month but it's a damn fine music concert!
When I first started seeing them "Big" jams were few and far between. Fantastic shows, however, were played nightly.
Paug FTMFW!

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sunrisevt

Quote from: birdman on October 29, 2015, 10:21:13 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 29, 2015, 10:01:06 AM
That's the ticket!

When I first started seeing them "Big" jams were few and far between. Fantastic shows, however, were played nightly.

This. A thousand time, this.

Also,
Quote from: mehead on October 29, 2015, 10:23:54 AM
PYITE
Llama
Buried Alive

+ Funky Bitch completes the perfecta box. A Funky Bitch opener generally augers a barn-burner.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

runawayjimbo

I damn near lost my shit when they opened with Alumni at Camden '10.

Buried Alive, Runaway Jim, and Mike's are all also excellent answers.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 29, 2015, 10:42:37 AM

Alumni > BBFCFM no less!  :crazy:
Bring in the dude!

emay

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 29, 2015, 10:53:23 AM

Alumni > BBFCFM no less!  :crazy:

yeah this was great!
antelope opener second night of dicks 2012 was the tits as well.

Gundo

Agree with Funky Bitch opener. Nothing like getting one of their best grooves right out of the gate  :crazy:

Would anyone argue that the funky Llama from this last summer is the best Llama opener in phishtory now?

emay

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 29, 2015, 09:52:46 AM
I gotta go with Buried Alive as well. There's other songs I like more -- But nothing else makes quite the statement like Buried Alive opener. Like RJ pointed out, it's almost always the sign of a great show to come.

Can't go wrong with a Llama opener. Runaway Jim>Foam is another classic combo that get's me psyched...

I listened to some Aug93 show recently that opened with BBFCFM. That shit ruled face.

Speaking of things that rule your face:

QuoteFriday, 12/01/1995   Hersheypark Arena, Hershey, PA
Set 1: Buried Alive > Down with Disease > Theme From the Bottom, Poor Heart, Wolfman's Brother > Chalk Dust Torture, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird, Stash, Cavern
Set 2: Halley's Comet > Mike's Song -> Weekapaug Groove, The Mango Song > Wilson > Suspicious Minds > Hold Your Head Up, David Bowie -> Catapult -> David Bowie
Encore: Suzy Greenberg

Gundo

mopper_smurf

Also Wilson.

They opened with it at the Amsterdam show in 1996.

Things started falling apart soon afterwards. Because drugs....

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

sunrisevt

Buried Alive, Runaway Jim, and Mike's are all also excellent answers.

I mentally dq'd Jones Beach 2012 for this discussion b/c the two openers were such anomalies...

The week I moved out of my ex's house,  :phish: opened consecutive shows with Skin It Back and Alumni, the two unicorns I'd been chasing--loudly--for my entire history w/ the band.

I'm still not entirely convinced they didn't somehow know what I needed to hear.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.