News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

All Things COMIC BOOKS

Started by mistercharlie, February 03, 2011, 08:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

^ I had always wondered what your avatar was. I had just assumed that it was the cover to an album that I had never heard of.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Multibeast12

Just figured out how to put comics on my Droid, and that i can download them. Infinity Gauntlet series everywhere i go FTW!!!

rowjimmy

Forgot to mention my love for R. Crumb and Gilbert Shelton's Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Frank is a really awesome comic.

Thanks for reminding me.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 04, 2011, 09:18:20 PM
Forgot to mention my love for R. Crumb and Gilbert Shelton's Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Those are both great. Crumb was one of the books my mom used to have around and I loved reading it, even as a young'un.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 04, 2011, 09:18:20 PM

when i was a little kid i had a friend whose dad was a big stoner and comic collector, and there were always Fabulous Furry Freak Bros comics around the house, which we'd read all the time. i was familiar with the expression 'dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope' long before i knew what the hell that really meant.

mistercharlie

Just thought I'd remind people that Marvel has been running a Dark Tower series for the last three or four years. It deals with Roland before the events of The Gunslinger.

Multibeast12

Quote from: mistercharlie on February 10, 2011, 11:59:39 PM
Just thought I'd remind people that Marvel has been running a Dark Tower series for the last three or four years. It deals with Roland before the events of The Gunslinger.
My friend Collects those. He likes them a lot. I have yet to read any of them.

Just went to my local comic book shop and bought
Bela Lugosi's - Tales from the Grave Vol. 1
It's pretty good. If you see it i recommend getting it. interesting strange horror stories.

rowjimmy

I just started reading Fables.
Good start.

I was let down by Ex Machina... It started well but just got annoying and preachy near the end.

fauxpaxfauxreal

I liked the first Trade Paperback for Fables.  About midway through the second one, I got tired of it, however.

A little too "gimmicky" for me.

If you find you're looking for something a little grittier after fables, I'd suggest:

It's a comic noir, with a great premise.  Basically, the comic is about people who have fallen on hard times because of the actions of others.  As they are struggling, a "government" man shows up with a dossier showing proof of exactly who harmed them and how their actions caused the characters downfall.  Then the G-man hands the character a brief case with an untraceable handgun and 100 untraceable bullets.  The G-Man then explains that no harm will befall the character if they are to shoot the person in the dossier.  The character can choose to do whatever they want.

The comic then takes off from there.  The simple premise starts to get really interesting and more complicated as the series goes on.

It's pretty awesome, honestly.

rowjimmy

Cool. I have received that recommendation before and plan on checking it out.

Thanks.

shoreline99

I started reading comics again in college. There was a comic book shop next to the used record place I went to.
I started off reading Marvel, especially X-Men and Wolverine. I have the original '82 series and most of the v2 run. I gave up on Marvel when the x-men split up into many factions and there were about 15 series running concurrently. I also collected spiderman for a while, when Todd Macfarlane was drawing it. Good stuff.

I got into Batman years before, when the Dark Knight Returns came out. that's what got me into reading comics in the first place. I'm a huge fan of the elseworlds series, which puts Batman in different periods of history. They've lost me in the last few years, with the whole 'death of Batman' thing. I still read the non-canon one-shot stuff, it's very gritty and always interesting.

My current recommendations:

Completed Series:
100 Bullets
Y: the last man
BONE, by Jeff Smith
Sandman and associated comics
The Watchmen, and pretty much anything by Alan Moore
Ex Machina
Transmetropolitan
The Maxx, by Sam Kieth
Sin City, by Frank Miller
Kick Ass (I)

Ongoing Series:
The Stand (Comic book adaptation of Stephen King's novel)
Fables
DMZ
Chew
Proof
The Goon
Anything Hellboy or BPRD
I, Zombie
House of Mystery (a distant tie-in to Sandman)
Hack/Slash
Kick Ass (II)

If you liked the long Halloween (I have the original comics of those. amazing artwork), you need to read Catwoman: When in Rome and Batman: Dark Victory. Both of those series continue the story where Long Halloween left off.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

whyweigh5.0

well.  A long time ago our uncle gave up his entire collection to me and my brother.  We had split them down the middle.  Most were just run of the mill xmen, spiderman, batman... stuff like that.  There were some obscure ones in there though.  There were a good bit of ElfQuest.  Which I took.  Anyways... they had been in this filing cabinet forever down in the basement.  I guess not long ago he came to take his.  I was poking around down there yesterday and I noticed that every single one was gone.  He took all of them :samurai:
The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson
http://liquidgoggles.blogspot.com/

fauxpaxfauxreal

Shoreline---How good is the Last Man?  I'm thinking about picking it up, but haven't had much motivation to.  The size of the series is rather intimidating...

In other news, I reread the first half of "The Kindly Ones" story arc of "The Sandman".

Fuck the comic never gets old.  I've probably read it at least 5 times.

rowjimmy

I really liked The Last Man. It was pretty solid most of the way through without too many fluffy arcs.