News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W14: 12-01-1994 Salem Armory, Salem, OR

Started by sophist, August 14, 2006, 08:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Quote from: petert686 on August 17, 2006, 08:05:18 PM
hey jedi....

you said this was your first show, i was just wondering if you had listened to any phish before going to this show or was this the first time you even heard the boys?

one of the best friends of mine asked me on the day of the show if i'd like to go see the show (god bless his soul)... i said "phish?  whats that?  oh, its a band... what kind of music?  mmm, weird... well, i do have a test to study for, but sure i'll go...  it was really close to where i grew up and knew salem like the back of my hand, so i said i could navigate him there (we were in school up by portland)....

i'd never really been to a concert before (i'd seen somethings with my parents, but i dont count those, cuz i didnt pay attention)... needless to say i was  :-o :-o :-o to the Nth power!
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

thats funny...
i did my first show when i was 13 (93).
at the time, i loved nirvana.
by brother had already done about 50 shows, and i knew their stuff.
first show was great .
second show was great.
third show (7-2-94) was the one that GOT me.
and it was % sky that just "pulled it all together"...
i had the "tears of joy" (uncontrolable laughter mixed with tears of happiness)
throughout.
there was no looking back from then on!
a

jedifunk

yep, my 1st (this show) really opened my eyes :o to a whole new kind of music...

but it was my 2nd show, 10-5-95, and that forbins>narration>mockingbird that made me fall in love
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

thelot

Quote from: august on August 17, 2006, 11:56:14 PM
a

Is your brother still into Phish?

August

Quote from: thelot on August 19, 2006, 09:13:18 AM
Quote from: august on August 17, 2006, 11:56:14 PM
a

Is your brother still into Phish?

barely.
a

thelot

What was his first show and when did he start losing interest? Your parents must've loved having two phishheads in the house! :-D

August

Quote from: thelot on August 19, 2006, 12:02:12 PM
What was his first show and when did he start losing interest? Your parents must've loved having two phishheads in the house! :-D
i believe it was 5-14-92 Portchester, NY.
he probably couldnt tell you anything after 95, though.
he wound up doing around 225-250 shows...he is not totally sure of that, either!
a

jedifunk

ok, well i think its well noted here that this show means a whole lot to me (being my 1st and all)...  aside from that though this show kicks all kinds of ass!

1st set:
sample, pen- solid opening, i've really begun to appreciate sample as a great tune lately.
fefy- love this one, great rendition taboot
maze- not a huge maze fan, but this one is fun
guyute- love the old skool, when it was still a treat... because of that, this choice raises the level of this set
IDK- is what it is
split- hightlight of the set... this one is great...  love how it builds way up, then they dont release, instead heading into this deep, dark, persian style jam, where they start building again.... and slowly the build in the split ending... a top version of this tune IMO.

2nd:
peaches- umm, yes please
mound- one of two i was fortunate to see (other 12/31/02)
tweezer- this is an AMAZING tweezer.... top notch stuff going on in here... i really enjoy mike on this one, his tone is just great.  also love the frenetic chaos that happens right before they mellow it out into the NW jam, which is sublime also... into
furry creatures- not one of my more favorite songs, but it keeps the energy where it needs to be->
maki- policeman came to my house!  great version->
NICU- YES! i love this tune, its just soooo fun->
tweezer- another nice jam to hold you over till->
jesus left chicago- page is just blistering on this one!  hot blues ->
hood- oh man, this set just keeps going up and up and up!  and then a great hood to bring you back around... great collective playing
golgi- just for good measure... as if the rest of the set wasnt enough!  and like sample i've really begun enjoying this one again... reminds me of why i first started liking :phish:

monkey->reprise- nothing like a reprise to send you out the door into the night!

ok, well, this show just goes to show that they had "IT" in 1994... while i think their consistency of great shows was better in later years, this one is NO JOKE... probably one of the best shows we've had in the SOTW...

easily an A, really approaching A+, but needed one more something for me in set 1... it could have been maze for some, but its a lesser tune for me...

this show rips... period.  great choice phan!  i never have a problem with this one..

and it make it easy to see why i left that show going :o  and my friend saying "i told you!", and me looking at him and saying :o .... nothing...!
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

sweet jesus that 2nd set is sick!!!!!!!!!!

I gave it another spin today and wow!!!!!!!

the tweezer is pure fuck me in a hot sack nasty. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

jedifunk

Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

sophist

thanks, all of the above statements made me laugh really hard when I saw them  :-)
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

birdman

Well, not much else can be said about the 2nd set, that hasnt already been said. A unique mix of 94 rarities (Peaches, BBFC,NICU Makisupa, and Jesus) all linked together by an insane Tweezer. Couldnt ask for a more perfect set.. A+ for sure. I give the show an A- overall, only because the first set was Avg. 94.
Kick Ass pick  :banana:
Paug FTMFW!