News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Remembering Shawn...

Started by tet, May 18, 2012, 11:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

I have just received an upsetting PM on Facebook from Shawn's (whyweigh) brother, informing me that Shawn has lost his battle with polychondritis. 

I am at a true loss for words, other than to say that getting to know Shawn has been an absolute pleasure over these many years.  He always had a smile on his face, which was incredible, knowing how much he was suffering for so many years.  Yet, he persevered so long and fought so courageously that his strength is a lasting inspiration to me.  He was a good soul and the type of friend who comes around very rarely in life - utterly loyal, genuinely caring, and completely full of life. 

We'll miss you, buddy.  Rest in peace.

:cry:

from Dave Williams
    You don't know me but you were acquainted with my brother Shawn Williams. I'm sending this message to as many of the people that knew him as I can reach in the hopes of getting the word out to everyone who knew Shawn and grew to know him as a friend. Shawn passed away last night after his 9 year battle with relapsing polychondritis at around 8pm. No arrangements have been made yet but once they are I will share them with anyone that is interested. Email me at williams.dave@hotmail.com if you would like information on the viewing, funeral service, etc, when those things are decided.

Shawn was such an amazingly strong, thoughtful, and upbeat individual in spite of the cards he was dealt by life. I know the people he touched in life would want to know of his passing, that's why I'm reaching out... But I don't know everyone. If you know anyone that would want to know but I can't reach on Facebook, please let them know.
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

blatboom

Oh no.  Rest in peace Shawn  :cry:

sophist

RIP Shawn.  We will miss you my friend. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

UncleEbinezer

Absolutely awful. 

RIP Shawn. 
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

McGrupp

What a genuinely good human.

Rest In Peace, dude.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

Hicks

Only met him once but he seemed like a really mellow and nice guy in person and of course he was always good to have around here.

Dude was a very talented photographer too.

Sad news, RIP. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

thechad

Oh man, I'm so out of touch with what has been happening in these parts that I did not even know the extent of Shawn's medical issues.  He was a truly good and kind person, I am better for the little I got to know him.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock

aphineday

Wow, this sucks. What a good dude, those of us who loved his photography will keep his spirit alive through his art.
I only met Shawn once, but I wish I could have spent more time with such a genuinely great guy.
I was unaware of his fight other than the car accident, but this couldn't have happened to a better person.
RIP Shawn, you will be missed.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

PIE-GUY

Wow. I am completely at a loss for words. Rest in peace, my brother.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Mr Minor

Wow.  This is a shame.  I never had a chance to meet him, but loved his photography. 

RIP Shawn.

PIE-GUY

Looking through his flickr galleries... he had a photographer's eye, no doubt. Incredibly creative.

Anyway, thought I'd post this pic... I will miss seeing him at shows. I always ran into him. Every show I went to in the last couple of years.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sophist

One of my favorite parts about Shawn was that he was one of the really dedicated people to the band.  I can remember him asking me if could arrive in Atlanta early last year for the shows.  The guy drove solo from PA to Atlanta in one day.  He showed up at my apartment around 1am.  It was mind blowing to see him be in such physical pain but at the same time so liberated by the music of Phish.  He'd always be in the corner of the apartment while Scott and I are sitting on the couch just being super crazy, a small shit eating grin on his face as he watched us be mad.  Despite his hearing, I think you could just tell the guy loved life and being in the moment in life. 

The hotel debacle from NYE '10 is another great memory I have of hanging with Shawn.  Having to scramble on the 31st of December to find lodging in Manhattan, after we were kicked out of one hotel.  I'll never forget, the 180 of feeling so fucked to victory.  We lucked out and pulled a room at the Hotel Penn for the 31st and 1st.  After the paug brunch on the 1st, I remember meeting Shawn at a pub right by our hotel, and we had a beer while he was waiting on a bunch of people from phishposters to meet him.  And again, despite his physical handicaps, it was this sort of zeal that I did come to admire about him.  The man lived life as best he could, and overcoming all odds.  I always had the utmost respect for him because as others have mentioned, he was a genuinely good human being with such a warm and caring heart. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

guyforget

totally shocked by this....   

id say it was close to a decade ago when i first met shawn in person.  i dont recall the show, but i think phish was still on hiatus1.  moe. or yonder or something...

such a positive person despite all of his medical problems, dude always wanted to just keep moving, get to the next show, etc, etc.  never heard him complain, just kept moving...

so sad today.
-AD_

Igbo

Wow. Only met Shawn a couple of times but was really a great pleasant dude. RIP Bro.

JPhishman

Very sad to hear of Shawn's passing. His perseverance through his health issues to be where he wanted and do what he wanted in life can teach us all something. His art and his dedication will be missed.

RIP
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie