News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Last Jedi discussion

Started by VDB, December 17, 2017, 08:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: VDB on January 30, 2018, 10:20:50 AM
Shit. If only I had, like, listed the bomber issue, like, 20th or something, in order to, like, indicate its unimportance relative to the other, like, really big problems with the film.

I disagree with what I read about most of those too.

Hicks

Shit. If only I had, like, listed the bomber issue, like, 20th or something, in order to, like, indicate its unimportance relative to the other, like, really big problems with the film.

Well it is the one point you chose to continue to defend, so there's that.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

tet

FWIW, I thought TLJ was a great movie, and one of the best of the series (up there with Rogue One for being a bit different, in my book).  I don't really care that the science doesn't make sense - that's never been the point of Star Wars, which is clearly more fantasy, not sci-fi.  The entire movie was about character development, not plot advancement - it's very hard to advance the storyline when the movie is forced to start literally 10 seconds after the last one ended.  A slow "chase" and failed mission really just allowed us to get to know Finn better, and perhaps for him to get to know himself as a member of the rebels.  Remember, about 72 hours before this entire movie took place, he was a stormtrooper with the First Order.  I think there's a hell of a lot of  :crazy: going on because nerds just like to nerd.  Well, there's "healthy discussion" to be had about any movie, but all this rambling about "it's not Star Wars" or "WTF did they do??!" is not really adding anything except noise. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on January 30, 2018, 11:05:26 AM

Well it is the one point you chose to continue to defend, so there's that.

In defense of my defense, you did act like it was the stupidest thing I could have mentioned, so I had to stand up for my integrity. And you'll note that I used the occasion to raise a broader point. But yes, you do make the appropriate counterpoint here.

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 30, 2018, 10:39:37 AM

I disagree with what I read about most of those too.

But Slim said I was eloquent.  :cry:

Quote from: cactusfan on January 26, 2018, 04:20:54 PM
Just in case you want to be outraged by a contrary opinion, here's mine:

www.standbyformindcontrol.com/2017/12/star-wars-the-last-jedi-is-a-frog-named-mongo/

The TL;DR version: Worst Star Wars yet.

This was excellent.
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Of all the criticisms of TLJ the "there's no gravity in space" is in fact the dumbest.

Mostly because, well, that's wrong. 
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on January 30, 2018, 11:46:50 AM
Of all the criticisms of TLJ the "there's no gravity in space" is in fact the dumbest.

Please, then, defend the lobbed laser blasts while you're at it.
Is this still Wombat?

rowjimmy

Quote from: VDB on January 30, 2018, 12:02:56 PM

Asking someone to defend, or even really caring about, the science of Star Wars is a sign that you're doing Star Wars wrong.

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 30, 2018, 12:21:19 PM

Asking someone to defend, or even really caring about, the science of Star Wars is a sign that you're doing Star Wars wrong.

It was a rhetorical request (which should have been obvious) because there is no defending it (also obvious) yet there's been a lot of recent chatter focusing on one other inconsequential item mentioned in the same breath as that. So I'm criticizing selectivity.

What other stupid arguments should we have today?
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: VDB on January 30, 2018, 12:30:05 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 30, 2018, 12:21:19 PM

It was a rhetorical request (which should have been obvious) because there is no defending it (also obvious) yet there's been a lot of recent chatter focusing on one other inconsequential item mentioned in the same breath as that. So I'm criticizing selectivity.

What other stupid arguments should we have today?

Is the Cleveland Indian's mascot really that racist?

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

tet

Quote from: VDB on January 30, 2018, 04:14:25 PM
It is, but not until next year.

Don't worry, their name will continue to be racist for at least another 5 years... 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

kellerb

Quote from: tet on January 31, 2018, 08:32:09 AM
Quote from: VDB on January 30, 2018, 04:14:25 PM
It is, but not until next year.

Don't worry, their name will continue to be racist for at least another 5 years...

Cleveland?

rowjimmy

For those of you who don't Twitter, I'm going to share with you a smart thread of reasonable relevance.
Here's the link to the first tweet: https://twitter.com/patrickhwillems/status/959204374047350789

Quote from: Patrick Willems @patrickhwillems
Watching The Empire Strikes Back and wow all this comedy with C-3PO while Luke is almost dying is so out of place. Irvin Kershner ruined Star Wars.

Ugh and now Han and Leia are basically in a romantic comedy. Get this corny "humor" out of Star Wars.

Luke has telekinesis now?? Way to break the whole mythology.

So that giant asteroid worm can breathe in space? It should've died in seconds. Good to know this movie doesn't care about physics AT ALL.

Jesus I'm waiting for Luke to find the badass Jedi master and there's just these endless scenes of a dumb muppet stealing his food. Did he land on fucking Sesame Street?

Wait, Darth Vader, ultimate badass villain, is just a lackey to some crusty old dude? Does this old dude even have a name?? Where did he come from?

How are these TIE Fighters dropping bombs when THERE'S NO GRAVITY IN SPACE?? ?? ??

My boy Han Solo FINALLY gets some action and then it's ruined with more 3PO comedy like it's suddenly a god damn Inspector Clouseau movie

Luke is on some kind of vision quest in a haunted cave? How many times can one movie break its own mythology?

Oh sure you're telling me a Star Destroyer has no cameras or anything to detect a whole spaceship just sitting on its surface? No one's gonna look out a damn window and see it?

What's with the dumb subplot where Vader keeps murdering his admirals? The Imperial army is suddenly a wacky comedy routine and they expect us to take them seriously?

Isn't this series supposed to be about a war? This whole movie is about hanging out in a swamp or going on a road trip. What's the whole Rebel army doing? Shouldn't they be trying to, like, win?

Vader can just deflect blaster shots with his hand?? Why does he even need a lightsaber? Are they just making up new powers as they go?

And now Luke can just HEAR his friends from across the galaxy? So the Force is basically a psychic radio?

Yoda: "Don't go, it's a trap."
Luke: "I'm gonna go."
Leia: "Luke stop it's a trap!"
Luke: *keeps going*

How do they expect us to root for a protagonist this stupid? All suspension of disbelief: gone

Two days of training and Luke is suddenly a better fighter than Ben Kenobi #lackofconsistency

Wow so that movie went nowhere, they got rid of the best character, and the mythology makes no sense now.

Fuck Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan.

Please my petition to have The Empire Strikes Back removed from canon.

Donate to my Patreon.

Hicks

VDB

Clever.
Unpersuasive, but clever.

As best I can tell, our takeaway options include the following:

1. Star Wars movies have always been this crappy. I assume that's not the actual proposition here.
2. Flawed Movie A can be – and, by god, IS – just as great as Flawed Movie B. But flaws have degrees.
3. Anyone can twist anything to make any movie seem lousy, even if it wasn't. In that case what's the point of film criticism anymore?

Happy Friday, I love you all.
Is this still Wombat?