News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W07: 08-16-1996 Plattsburgh Air Force Base, Plattsburgh, NY

Started by shoreline99, June 24, 2006, 08:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Yeah....in certain ways the wheel day 1 beats ball day 1......they both have their strengths.....and weaknesses......

but the real question is how would you like to have your thick strawberry goo?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

jedifunk

Quote from: Marmar on June 30, 2006, 07:14:54 PM
but the real question is how would you like to have your thick strawberry goo?

good question...  i suppose in a nice tall milkshake glass.  :beers:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

shoreline99

I'm not saying you need to look at both shows to judge this one on its own merits.

It was the perfect way to spend a summer day and a smooth, rocking way to start off the first of what would become many festivals.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

gainesvillegreen

Listened to the second set this afternoon while working in the backyard.  Very nice how the solo out of Coil leads in to the Acoustic set.  Nice planning on their part

As has been mentioned, Mike's Song is on fire!  Good pick, I love this show. 

whatapiper

my 1st show! what a monster.  cant say enough about this show, the bar was set high for the rest of my show dayz, i have to say, even with the 30 shows i saw between 97-98, this festival was my personal favorite.  hampton 97-98 comes in a very close second...this show was a huge landmark for the boys, the vibe was electric.... :beers:  nice pic, i might have to put up the next night which is a but underrated imo.  the 3rd set was the worst of the six, but set II is what dreams are made of. :phish:
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

jephrey

Melt - Pretty hot...  I liked it.
Sparkle - the usual
Free - became one of my favs later on.  This one was really good for an early version.
Coil - Not terribly memorable for some reason
Waste - I liked it.  I listened closely because I've been working on this for the tribute album.  I like this mini-stage.  I first realized how awesome these guys were in 96 at Creek and there was a mini-stage there.  Cool shit.
Talk - another good acoustic bit.
Train Song - Almost getting a bit bluegrassy.  Mike is cool.
Strange Design - Favorite Phish slow tune, and I LOVE it acoustic.  I changed my mind, I might play this for the tribute instead.  Just gotta get the keys down a bit.  This may be my favorite version as well.
Hello My Baby - coo.
Mike's - Love that kind of vocal jam...  This is a good Mikes ->
Simple - What a great transition from Mike's.  Solid, but I wish that the rest of the guys would have followed Trey more closely into-
Contact - Another tune that I love, but it does depend on a lot of factors.  I have heard versions that haven't thrilled me.  This one started with more promise, but under-delivered. 
Week4paug - The bass intro was good but short.  Otherwise just plain good.  Unfortunately, when Gordo and Page started ripping it up, Trey had to go into his narrative about taking a set-break.

Oh well, this set was solid, and moreso than the first set.  Getting into Makisupa of the 3rd, I can tell it's going to rival set 2...

Jeprhey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

jeph- not sure if you've noticed yet, but your still a week behind :roll:
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

Yes, I've noticed...  Makisupa on now and I should be able to get to this week's show later today and tomorrow.

I haven't missed one yet though!

Makisupa - I always like Makisupa and this one is great.  It gets really chill and spacey which I like.  Definitely like Page's playing.
2K1 - Effin Sweeeeet.  Extended intro is nice.  This is a top version.  Page is rippin it up again.
DWD - I listened to another version of this this morning and have been really digging on DWD lately.  the return to the closing theme did not happen (and I love that), but the move on to NICU was an acceptable replacement.
NICU - I used to like this a lot more than I do now.  This is short and solid.
Hood - One of the best festival songs I can think of.  I remember the burning tower at (was that the Went or Lemonwheel?) and of course all the smoke at Cypress during Hood.  What a great song for a festival.  This one is straight up good, but nothing crazy.
Grace - typical

Quality show the whole way through.  Nothing crazy but very solid musically, and as far as the setlist goes.  A lot of festival-worthy tunes.  Unfortunately, I wasnt' blown away or anything

3.89702 out of 5 is my rating.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

williaa

this show looks awesome, im gonna give it a download and review tonite.  I was just gonna ask if there was an SBD of day 2, but i already found it on etree

shoreline99

Marmar [A-Train, etc] put out killer DSBD's of both days.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

August

too late to post a review?
i realized that i never did and stumbled upon the notes i made for the show (not in that order).....anyway

this is a top 20 show for me.like many have said, it is solid and not too flashy.
first big festival went off smoothly.

Chalk & Gin- both tight.i like how the gin moves along and picks up steam later in the jam.at points, it reminds me of the went gin in that it doesnt stray much from the original groove.

YaMar $ ACDC- yamar is always welcomed by me in a summer first set.always summer"y" sounding to me.great lead work by trey.the acdc is what it is.it rips quite hard.

Esther- always a fav of mine.the tape i had had the station call leters in the beginning of this tune, so i always hear it in  my head when they start playing this.
the ending was a little messed up, though.

SKy,Halley's & Bowie- all super tight.three huge phish tunes in a row.really, that is why this entire first set rules it, they are all classic tunes, with no throw aways!

Split- the beginning of this jam really sounds like the beginning of the columbus 93 jam.strange........cool jam.

Sparkle,Free & Coil- i will continue to say it "i love 95 and 96 Free's!".....this one aint no slouch. Coil always has that old school vibe for me.i always like a coil.

Waste,Talk,Train Song,Design,Hello-Expected but welcomed.

Mikes-Raging.awesome jam,quite firce with a super smooth segue into....

Simple-this one had a cool little jam towrds the end.the way this came out of mikes didnt kill the momentum.plus, i dont think i ws burned out on mikes>simple at this point yet.

Contact & Week- the weekapaug has such a funky breakdown after coming in with the verse at the end.a real long and worthy version.

Makisupa- always a cool indication that the set will be different.liitle jazzy section in the outro with sausage vocals...

2001-with the minikit.cool earlier version.

Disease-a real monster!just a real flowing jam for a long time.it really rips and rips some more, might possibly be the highlight of the show for me.

NICU,Mars?,Hood-i love life on mars?i really do.this hood was nice too.complete with fireworks.

Grace-appropriate encore, imo.

although, i would have liked to see a more obscure choice, this is a classic show that deserves my first A+.
a