News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

twitter?

Started by jedifunk, February 02, 2009, 10:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

anyone here use twitter?  i just joined, and i'm still trying to wrap my head around why i would use this... and trying to see who else uses it and why.

i'm not sure i understand the gist of it... am i supposed to update it by the minute or by the hour or by the day?  why would i follow some of the things that are on twitter... IE, i am following a mac website (tuaw) and it now dominates my list since they add every post on their site as a tweet... why wouldn't i just use the RSS that i already have to follow what they are posting?

any insight or advice is appreciated.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Never used it, never saw the need.

As I understand it, it would be useful for a live-blogging sort of thing. Maybe live setlists?

jedifunk

yeah, it seems to be to duplicate what i already do on facebook.  but on a way more limited scale... basically it seems like its simply a status updater
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

And you can link it, I think, to update your facebook status when you post on twitter.

jedifunk

why though?  seems redundant to me.  i'd have to assume that almost everyone on twitter is also on facebook.  i'm still trying to understand this whole thing
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on February 02, 2009, 11:37:34 AM
why though?  seems redundant to me.  i'd have to assume that almost everyone on twitter is also on facebook.  i'm still trying to understand this whole thing

I suppose it's a way for people who aren't necessarily your "friends" to follow what you are doing.

I'm supposed to do it to help promote my company, but I don't. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on February 02, 2009, 11:37:34 AM

I think Hicks is close to the point there but beyond that, I wouldn't know.

jedifunk

ok, but WHY would i want people that are not my friends to follow me?
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Hicks

Quote from: jedifunk on February 02, 2009, 02:23:18 PM
ok, but WHY would i want people that are not my friends to follow me?

Guerilla marketing, brah.  It's so hetty.    :roll:
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Hicks

I'm giving this a shot, feel free to follow me so I don't feel like I'm completely wasting my time and post your page here if you want so I can follow you.

http://twitter.com/sirHicksalot

kellerb

Quote from: rowjimmy on February 02, 2009, 10:56:32 AM

As I understand it, it would be useful for a live-blogging sort of thing. Maybe live setlists?

Prescient...

rowjimmy

Quote from: kellerb on June 23, 2009, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on February 02, 2009, 10:56:32 AM

Prescient...

I'm a genius at work.

At home, not so much.

oh and I'm http://twitter.com/rowj

mopper_smurf

I use Twitter to post updates on my blog automagically mostly:

http://twitter.com/hctf

(who is following the 'paug twitter dOOds as of ... now)
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

antelope19

So I decided today to give this shot.  We'll see how it goes. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment