News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: anthrax on October 23, 2018, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 23, 2018, 07:02:49 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 23, 2018, 02:50:36 PM
Bob Weir and Wolf Brothers 10/22/18 Keller Auditorium

Went in with low expectations and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Bobby definitely knows his performing days are numbered and it seems he's putting in a lot of effort to make the most of the time he has left. Great setlist with a lot of covers and only a couple Jerry songs, it was really cool to see stuff like Playing and Music Never Stopped in this stripped down format. Crowd was totally throwing down, nice to see a party happen in what usually is a very stuffy opera house type venue. 

Secondary market tickets were really cheap here, if that's the case in your town then I would highly recommend hitting one of these shows up. 

Big ups to caravan for beers and food, thanks man!

Yeah dude, that was awesome.  I feel like dogshit today.

been digging the boards of these shows!

Lemme know if you see a board of Portland. Thanks!

shoreline99

Three nights of the Avett Brothers at the Cap. My SIL is a huge fan. She and my BIL are moving to Seattle this winter and we won't get to see them much, so it was cool to hang out with them this weekend. Brought our younger kids to a couple of the shows, too, their first at that venue.

The Friday & Saturday shows were fantastic; Thursday show had some sound problems early on and a bit of a slower setlist. Their regular touring violinist (Tania Elizabeth) is out on maternity leave, so Ketch from Old Crow Medicine Show filled in - his voice really complimented the band's harmonies. Fun times.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

anthrax

Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 23, 2018, 09:59:16 PM
Quote from: anthrax on October 23, 2018, 07:29:44 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 23, 2018, 07:02:49 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 23, 2018, 02:50:36 PM
Bob Weir and Wolf Brothers 10/22/18 Keller Auditorium

Went in with low expectations and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Bobby definitely knows his performing days are numbered and it seems he's putting in a lot of effort to make the most of the time he has left. Great setlist with a lot of covers and only a couple Jerry songs, it was really cool to see stuff like Playing and Music Never Stopped in this stripped down format. Crowd was totally throwing down, nice to see a party happen in what usually is a very stuffy opera house type venue. 

Secondary market tickets were really cheap here, if that's the case in your town then I would highly recommend hitting one of these shows up. 

Big ups to caravan for beers and food, thanks man!

Yeah dude, that was awesome.  I feel like dogshit today.

been digging the boards of these shows!

Lemme know if you see a board of Portland. Thanks!

getting this soon.

anyone know which of these bobby shows is the "best?"  or top 3?  i don't really want to weed through them all.

Buffalo Budd

I caught Jack White on Tuesday at our new arena that opened in August.
Venue was cool for larger shows but sound somewhat lacking. It was GA on the floor, great for milling about and running into friends old and new. No cell phones, so wasn't really possible to connect with anyone not in your immediate vicinity, which I found refreshing as I hate 15 cell phones raised in my sight line. Show was good but Jack's voice was shot from a long world tour and the bass was pretty low in the mix. He played quite a few White Stripes tunes, which are great but not what I came to hear. Encore was solid start to finish and made the show imo.

Jack White
11/13/2018 (Tue) Avenir Centre – Moncton, NB
Set 1: Over and Over and Over, Freedom at 21*, A Martyr for My Love for You**, Hotel Yorba**, Corporation, Love Interruption, Cannon**, Why Walk a Dog?, That Black Bat Licorice, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground**, Humoresque, Catch Hell Blues**, Respect Commander, Battle Cry
E: Steady, as She Goes***, Ice Station Zebra, Connected by Love, Black Math**, I Think I Smell a Rat**, Sixteen Saltines, Seven Nation Army**
* - Devil's Haircut (Beck) bridge in middle of song.
** - White Stripes song.
*** - Raconteurs song.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 15, 2018, 09:57:22 AM
Venue was cool for larger shows but sound somewhat lacking. It was GA on the floor, great for milling about and running into friends old and new. No cell phones, so wasn't really possible to connect with anyone not in your immediate vicinity, which I found refreshing as I hate 15 cell phones raised in my sight line. Show was good but Jack's voice was shot from a long world tour and the bass was pretty low in the mix. He played quite a few White Stripes tunes, which are great but not what I came to hear. Encore was solid start to finish and made the show imo.

Jack White
Set 1: Over and Over and Over, Freedom at 21*, A Martyr for My Love for You**, Hotel Yorba**, Corporation, Love Interruption, Cannon**, Why Walk a Dog?, That Black Bat Licorice, Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground**, Humoresque, Catch Hell Blues**, Respect Commander, Battle Cry
E: Steady, as She Goes***, Ice Station Zebra, Connected by Love, Black Math**, I Think I Smell a Rat**, Sixteen Saltines, Seven Nation Army**
** - White Stripes song.
*** - Raconteurs song.

What does that mean?  Do they make you check your phone at the door?  Is that per Jack White or per the arena (or some weird Canadian thing  :-D)? Either way, I'm a fan of that.

emay

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 15, 2018, 01:10:08 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 15, 2018, 09:57:22 AM

Jack White
** - White Stripes song.
*** - Raconteurs song.

What does that mean?  Do they make you check your phone at the door?  Is that per Jack White or per the arena (or some weird Canadian thing  :-D)? Either way, I'm a fan of that.

Dave Chappelle and this comedy club does that here. I have heard rumors of some music acts wanting to do that like Jeff Tweedy but havent seen it happen. Actually I went to an Ajunadeep show that was ambient techno with Lane 8 and some others and they made everyone lock their phones and no filming or pictures were allowed it was pretty awesome.
But Chappelle did it at red rocks which really blows my mind since it actually went pretty smooth for having to lock like 6k peoples phones and unlock at the end of the night. They have people set up with these magnetic cloth cases and you give them your phone and they lock it up in this pouch. You can only unlock it a station at the exit or side of the venue.

Buffalo Budd

Definitely Jack White initiated. He's done it the whole tour, trying to make concerts a unique experience between the artist and fans. I 100% approve.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

PIE-GUY

I'm a huge fan of the sleeve to lock phones during shows. It's much better than security enforcing the no phone policy which I find completely intrusive... perhaps even worse than the annoyance of the phones in the air.

ETA: plus, the two times I've been to shows with this policy, I just left my phone in the car and avoided the hassle altogether. You've been warned by the artist that this is happening. No reason to bring a phone if it's gonna be locked up anyway.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

I saw Keith Jarret several years ago who prohibited phones and pics. People started taking pics as they came out for the 3rd encore and he just stopped. He said life should be experienced as it happens, not through a blue screen.
Rich Robinson has also ranted about vids - why experience something through a shitty little screen when you can experience it real time on stage

agreed
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: slslbs on November 15, 2018, 03:44:58 PM
I saw Keith Jarret several years ago who prohibited phones and pics. People started taking pics as they came out for the 3rd encore and he just stopped. He said life should be experienced as it happens, not through a blue screen.
Rich Robinson has also ranted about vids - why experience something through a shitty little screen when you can experience it real time on stage

agreed

I don't understand.

How are you supposed to let other people know you were there then if you can't post on social media in order to find validation of your existence, or bolster an otherwise weak self esteem through a fickle form of social approval called "likes"?

Pfft, seems like pissy artists being holier than tho to me.  :roll:
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

VDB

I do think people are not as bad with their phones as they were when these contraptions came out. Yeah, it's still pretty annoying to have someone stick a screen up in your line of sight for an extended period of time. But at a lot of the kind of shows we go to, where people come from all over and reunite with various friends and the crowd is fluid, the phone is an important tool and depriving everyone of that just because a small number will brandish them strikes me as not always reasonable.

Interestingly, I saw Dave Chapelle and for all the stern warnings, the surrendering of phones at the door was strictly on the honor system. You could've kept it in your pocket the whole time. I didn't see any offenders, though, so I guess the message was effectively sent.
Is this still Wombat?

mopper_smurf

The Aristocrats kindly reqiested not to use a phone. Worked like a charm.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: VDB on November 15, 2018, 11:33:06 PM
I do think people are not as bad with their phones as they were when these contraptions came out. Yeah, it's still pretty annoying to have someone stick a screen up in your line of sight for an extended period of time. But at a lot of the kind of shows we go to, where people come from all over and reunite with various friends and the crowd is fluid, the phone is an important tool and depriving everyone of that just because a small number will brandish them strikes me as not always reasonable.

Interestingly, I saw Dave Chapelle and for all the stern warnings, the surrendering of phones at the door was strictly on the honor system. You could've kept it in your pocket the whole time. I didn't see any offenders, though, so I guess the message was effectively sent.

You're allowed to go out to the lobby or whatever and use your phone. It's not like you're incapacitated. If I really wanted to connect with someone, it was possible.

rowjimmy

Saw two shows this week.
Bob Weir & Wolf Bros at The Warner Theater in DC.
Great show. West LA Fadeaway was probably the highlight of the first set They jammed it for a bit which was unexpected and cool. Second set featured a powerful BT Wind and a guest spot from John K. He sat in for Playing > Scarlet Begonias. Then the sat carried on and was terrific. We got a Hard Rain's Gonna Fall which was unexpected and the obligatory for DC, Throwing Stones. Encore was Playin Reprise > Touch with John K.
Good times.

Last night I saw One Eleven Heavy in Richmond. THeyre a kickass new band made of of a bunch of players who've been around the indie scene for a while. I had the guitar players, Nick & James on BrokedownPod recently (see here: https://brokedownpodcast.blogspot.com/2018/10/030-one-eleven-heavy.html). Nick was even wearing my t-shirt!

Anyways, they rocked. Looking forward to seeing them again next year.
Here's a video that I shot with my phone that I didn't keep in my pocket.

sls.stormyrider

Marcus King Band last night

Ida Mae opened, did a fine job

Marcus King smoked. 2 1/2 hours of constant energy.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."