News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R6/W03: 10-18-1994 Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN

Started by birdman, January 04, 2009, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Here's a nice SBD from Fall 94 w/ Bela Fleck.
Enjoy!

Lossy:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ckd5sk  Set I
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lb9r0x   Set II
Lossless:
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=520450

Phish

10-18-94

Vanderbilt University Memorial Gym, Nashville, TN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This show is included in the 1994 Phish Project.

http://people.atl.mediaone.net/danmarq/1994_phish_project.html

----------------

Source:         SBD>C0>DAT (unknown DAT generations)

Conversion:     Tascam DA-20 MkII-> Monster Coax-> M-Audio Audiophile 24/96->

Soundforge 5.0b (48KHz->44.1KHz at highest setting [4 of 4],

with anti-alias filter)-> CD Wave 1.61-> mkwACT v0.97

**No DAE at all**

Minor Edits:   Fades (in/out at beginning/end of sets, as well as cassette flips.)

----------------

Transferred by Dan Marquardt <danmarq@msn.com>, please contact me with questions/comments.

There are also 48KHz shn's of this seed for archival.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD/Set 1:

01. Simple         04:36

02. My Friend My Friend      07:00

03. I Didn't Know      03:37

04. Poor Heart         02:20

05. Stash         11:00

06. Tela         06:49

07. It's Ice %         08:55

08. Guyute         10:44

09. The Divided Sky      14:14

Amazing Grace (not on DAT)

Set 2: (Requires an 80min CD)   77:14

01. David Bowie         14:39

02. The Horse->         01:29

03. Silent in the Morning   04:58

04. Reba         18:15

05. Scent of a Mule* %      06:15

06. Lifeboy*         06:06

07. The Old Home Place#*   03:16

08. Bow Mountain Rag#*      03:08

09. Nellie Cane#*      06:29

10. Llama*         06:34

11. Crowd         02:37

Encore:

12. My Sweet One      03:25

% Cassette flip (Mule ending cut!).

* With Bela Fleck on Banjo.

# Acoustic.

Submitted Reviews

Ytown
August
Birdman
Declan
Khalpin
Blatboom
Mandi
Mr. Minor
Mirthbeatenworker
Paug FTMFW!

khalpin

The one problem with this source is that the Scent of a Mule is cut and it happened to be one of the best versions.  Here's the complete version from the akg source:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yeh875

fauxpaxfauxreal

birdman

Quote from: khalpin on January 04, 2009, 01:28:08 PM
The one problem with this source is that the Scent of a Mule is cut and it happened to be one of the best versions.  Here's the complete version from the akg source:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yeh875
Thanks!
Paug FTMFW!

G. Augusto

G. Augusto

Maybe I'll seed the AUD (which I feel is better than the SBD) tomorrow...
a

Declan

I just shat a brick!!!

last weeks review of mine will be up tomorrow, i just have to grab it off my lappy

great pick birdman!!!
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

G. Augusto

G. Augusto

Listen to the AUD!  :wink:

Simple - First of only three times used as a show opener. I actually like it here. Nice segue into >>>

My Friend - Trippy outro vocal section. Goes on for a bit and melds its way into >>>

IDK - Your standard version.

Heart/Stash - Trey having some fun with the composed sections of Stash. He lays down a sick, quick run at ~5:25. Doesn't take long to get evil and chaotic. Very tense version with a release that kinda sneaks up on ya.

Tela - Just a perfect version.

Ice - Page shines during the breakdown. As with most '94 versions, this one gets pretty funky.

Guyute - I love the '94 renditions. I like how everyone is so silent for the tune and then applauds so wildly once they get their faces smashed.

Sky - Another super solid version.

Grace - Nice cap. Plenty of variety during set one...
You get a vacuum solo, some bluegrass, a jammed out tune, a new song, an a capella song and plenty of classics.

Bowie - In such a short amount of time, this one goes all over the yard. It kinda plays out like a Fall '94 Tweezer, in that it really takes you for a ride. It is more cohesive than most of the Tweezers, however. They NAIL the return back to the main jam theme. Great version.

Horse/Silent - Trey has some fun with his fuck ups during Horse. The creature from the black lagoon!

Reba - Tight composed section. This is one of the classic versions. Very relaxed and flowing for the beginning of the jam. 9:50 - 11:50 is what really defines this version. It gets evil in a subtle way...12:30 is where they start to borrow a bit from the 07-06-1994 Reba. Slight DEG ~15:35 in. Classic version.

Scent - Bela goes OFF during the "elegance" verses.

Lifeboy/Homeplace - Bela adds such a great dynamic to these, especially the Lifeboy.

Beaumont - I guess you really need Bela on this one to do it justice. The second and last time played.

Nellie - More bluegrass...

Llama - H33T! Acoustic intro with Bela TEARING IT UP! So precise! I love how they bust right back into a full-out Llama shrager. Great version.

MSO - Only the second time it was used as a standalone encore.

A virtually note-perfect performance.
My second favorite October show behind 10-27-1994.
Super solid pick gets an A+!
a

alcoholandcoffeebeans

i'm into listening to studio stuffs lately.. and Rift has found a lot of play time for me lately...
and colorado 88 got played from end to end tonight during trivial pursuit/i love the 80s trivial pursuit/i love the 80s game...

this show has got me pumped after my studio listens, today....

can't wait to throw it in tomorrow, while cleaning :)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

Declan

i just teased myself with the stash last night.... great balls of fire  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

birdman

When I heard Phish was coming to play at my college in fall of 94 I was pretty damned psyched. My favorite band was they going to be playing a stones throw from my house! I was praying that they would shake up our very conservative campus with some face melting jams. The day before they were scheduled to play we had some interesting tour types staking out prime realestate on our "Alumni Lawn" in the center of campus. We offered places for some of them to crash. A couple spent the night in our apartment and rewarded us with some primo opium...things were looking up for thishow. The next day as the lot started to fill up we saw Mike wandering around the campus. One of my buddies approached him and gave him a "Simple" hat, telling him how much he loved the "new" song, asking him to please play it that night. Entering the gym, we realized they were only going to fill half the place. They had set up the stage lengthwise across the basketball court and were only playing to one side. We took our seats in the 2nd row, right in front of fishman. We puffed on that ball of opium HARD before the lights went down.

Simple- Well you can imagine my friends surprise when Mike walks out wearing the Simple hat and then they bust into his request. 1st time they opened with it and still my favorite placement for this song. As they were wraping it up, Mike took off the hat and whipped it into the audience. Pretty standard early version, but it worked well as an opener. I like the vocal outro.

My Friend- Here is the "normal" opener. Well played with some cool vocals thrown in at the end.

IDK- Another song with heavy emphasis on vocals. The band sounds great. Spot on version.

MPH- A little ditty for music city.

Stash- Typically great Fall 94 Stash here. 1st song of the night that takes us outside the box. Lots of tension and a great climax.

Tela- Note perfect version. May have lost a bit of the crowd with this one, but we were enjoying the hell out of it.

Its Ice- Love the breakdown in this one. Page. Page. Page.

Guyute- Only the 5th time played and my 2nd time hearing it. I liked it alot better this time around knowing what to expect.

Divided Sky- This turned alot of people on to Phish that night. Made believers out of them. How could you not love this band.

Grace- Amazing

II

Bowie- Here's the face melting jam I had been waiting for them to drop. Take that all you Greek freaks, I hope you lost your mind. Typically great Bowie.

Horse/Silent- Was hoping for something more uptempo, but you just cant help loving this tune.

Reba- If you haven't heard this version before...too bad for you. One of the most outstanding version they have ever played to these ears. Certainly the most atypical version I ever saw. One of the highlights of the night and the whole of fall 94.

Scent- You know my feelings about this tune. The only thing that makes it bearable is the addition of Bela. Changes the whole dynamic of this tune.

Lifeboy- Love this song. Love this version. Similar to what they did to Slave next year in Nashville with Bela Fleck. Makes the song so much more enjoyable.

Old Home/Beumont/Nellie- More bluegrass for the citizens of the bluegrass mecca.

LLama- Must hear to believe. Yes. This actually happened. I couldnt believe it as the band switched over to electric one at a  time. They blew the doors off the Memorial Coliseum with this one. My personal favorite Llama, how could you argue against it.

MSO-Eww! Unique as an encore. There is a reason it doesn't belong in this slot. I must admit it left me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall, the band seemed very focused on Nailing the songs this night. Not so much focus on jams. Makes sense, phish was still relatively unknown down south and playing to many newbies in the crowds. Really, it would be a perfect introduction to the band, seeing as they displayed their diversity and strengths throughout the evening.
  While not a top ten attended for me, it certainly holds its place in my heart.

I need to find my yearbook from 94. They reviewed the show and it is so full of misinformation and jumbled facts that its hilarious. There are some nice photos though.

Paug FTMFW!

birdman

Paug FTMFW!

fauxpaxfauxreal

khalpin

First off, Birdman, that story about Simple is awesome!  I love hearing stuff like that.

Second, I'm with Aug, the audience source is crisp.

Simple: Short and sweet version with no jam section whatsoever.

My Friend: Always welcome. I liked when this was in the regular rotation. Vocal jam-ish ending which segues into:

I Didn't Know: Does its thing.

Poor Heart: Fits well. Nice solo spots.

Stash: Trey plays some sweet stuff during the "maybe so, maybe not" section. Dark jam, thought it was gonna go into BBFCFM for a second there. Solid version that I wish they would've kept going. Seemed like it was starting to go somewhere but they brought it back to finish earlier than necessary.

Tela: Love it.

Ice: Nice and tight. Dynamite middle section. Mike teases Mission Impossible. The break back into Ice is pretty unique. Almost like it was botched and they didn't know quite what to do, so they extended the jam a bit, while going back into Ice at the same time. In any event, good stuff. I like this one.

Guyute: Always strange to hear these early versions where there's no immediate applause. Well-played version.

Divided Sky: Great addition to an already solid set. Well played, as well. Well, well.

Amazing Grace: Couldn't hear it.

Set one is Fall '94 goodness.

Bowie: Not easing into this set. Heat right off the bat. Tight composed section. Jams out in '94 style. Starts out like your basic Bowie jam. They start on a theme for a couple minutes, then gets dark and goes into the two-chord dissonant tension thing, then a spacy, floating jam, then it gradually picks up theme and SLAMS back into the Bowie closing section with a full head of steam. Great Bowie.

Horse>Silent: A little cool down.  Trey messes up and then embellishes.

Reba: Composed section is spot on.  The jam section is pretty standard for a couple minutes and then they fade out and fade back in with the heavy dissonance and a rhythmic jam.  Very different for a Reba jam.  Almost like a rock version of Bartok.  Dissonance CAN sound beautiful.  The jam turns a little friendlier to the ears and grows in intensity as the jam gets brighter.  It then fades and they steer back to the Reba jam.  Great peak ~15:40.  Finishes out strong.  My personal favorite version.

Scent of a Mule: I think Bela couldn't hear himself there at first, hence the slides in the first verse (Am I plugged in?)  He stays pretty reserved until the middle section, at which point he totally takes over.  I thought I heard a couple song teases in there, but maybe not.  Anyway, the real goods are when they go back and refrain the chorus.  Bela rips it up and the band is clearly having a great time.  Also, my favorite version.

Lifeboy: Normally a bathroom break, but I had to stick around to see what Bela was going to add to it.

Old Home Place/Beaumont Rag/Nellie Kane: Mic-less bluegrass.  Bela spices up all three of them nicely.  Top notch versions.  Too bad they're mic-less, although I'm sure it was something else to witness.

Llama: This Llama is the show highlight(not something you hear everyday).  Not only does Bela's input take it up a whole 'nother level, but the acoustic-to-electric changeover builds up the drama to such a climax, it's almost like a faster version of Slave.  Top notch stuff.

MSO: Strange encore, but it seems to work after the bluegrass-filled set.

An all-around awesome show featuring a second set with THREE top-five versions of tunes (Reba, Scent, Llama).  Not too much more to say about this one.  A+.  Great pick.