News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R2/W05: 06-26-1995 SPAC, Saratoga Springs, NY

Started by birdman, March 10, 2008, 09:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

yes. pretty much what everyone else said.

solid first set, with bonus of having really cool song selection. nothing that blew my mind, but all good. odd ending to Gin where trey all of a sudden sings "bathtub gin" once and boom, the song stops.

disease is the monster. very typical of summer '95 in the almost total lack of melody. some of these insane summer jams don't work so well, others end up being incredibly compelling, and this is one of the latter. i love the crunchy slow segue into free, beautiful. at first free is sooo slow, but they speed it up just slightly during the beginning to get it at normal free speed.

free is a great version, again they're playing it in this style that sometimes doesn't come together (i'm not a fan of the boring 33 minute landover version), but it totally works here, and it is a unique free, the jam going where it normally doesn't.

YEM is a monster. bass and drums section is huge. love the vocal jam.

hot antelope to close it out.

i'd pick a couple other summer '95 shows as my favs, but this one is up there.

Caravan2001

Great show...solid first set, with the highlights for me being the pre-funk style Gin, Don't You Wanna Go, Sloth (of course), and very nice version of Tela.  All in all, a mellow 1st set, but the energy picked up with the gin, sloth and Possum.  A very solid first set, but little indication of what was in store after the break.  This is a top ten Disease I think, and that is saying a lot because there are a lot of monsters out there.  This one kicks serious ass, and foreshadows what is to become of Disease later in the bands career, or even Fall tour '95.  The goods.  Free brings down the house as well, and is to me, one of the top versions out there as well.  Just plain sick.  Best Poor Heart ever?  In my opinion, yes.  At least off the top of my head, if someone said what's the best Poor Heart, I always think of this version first.  That's when you know the band is in the zone, 'cause they can take a snoozer like Poor Heart, and make it a second set contender.  Reminds me of the Great Went Uncle Pen that followed the mammoth Disease->Gin that night. The YEM is also great, and as August, I mean G.Augusto, said, the drum and bass segment is fucking reee-dic. Mike is just beating the kids into submission at this point.  Killer.  Strange Design is perfectly placed so you can go pee, or get a water in time to come back for the Antelope. You'd think they'd be tired at this point, but they get behind this Antelope kick down some serious shreddage.  Not the best version ever, but certainly better than 90% of later versions.  Trey is burning on this one.  Sleeping Monkey->Rocky Top:  I was hoping for a little more than this combo after such a strong second set, but if that's what they felt like playing then who I am I to complain.  All in all, a great show from an excellent tour, though not my personal favorite of the tour (but close).  Good pick.....

bluecaravan521

Set I:
Nice MFMF opener
Awesome Don't You Wanna Go to get the first set moving
Gin- nice gin, a little chaos and dissonance, nice participation on all part- liked the "I know I can't dance" part.
NICU- nothing special but fun
Sloth- good song but I caught a little slop by Trey iirc at points
MMGAMOIO- always a cool cover
Ice- Nice spacey Page led part back into the song
Dog Faced- meh, not a great version
Tela- love this song
Possum- Dirty version out the gates, nice building feel throughout Trey's soloing, beginning low and climbing, using the Heartbreaker tease as yet another rung to the top.

Overall set I gets a B+, not very exciting at parts where they were lacking energy, and hardly representative of the monster Set II.  The Possum really saved it from B territory, but overall it was solid.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...

birdman

Set II

DWD- Here we go...This was the first and only DWD they played during summer 95. We all thought they had shelved the tune due to it's lack of variety. Up until this point the song never strayed from its original roots and was generally nothing but a high energy, set filler. Well this version changed everything. I dont need to describe it. Let's just say they gave this the summer 95 treatment...part chaos, light on melody, but as powerful as they come.

Free- Nice segue into this new tune. This is my favorite version from summer because it goes where the others didn't. Unique and inspiring. The boys are in the zone and the hose is wide open.

MPH- Like Caravan mentioned earlier, if you asked me too pick a standout version of Poor Heart, this would be it. A disease-ified version.

YEM-They just had to drop a monster jam in this slot to keep things rolling. This YEM doesn't disappoint. D&B section forces one to but a move. Also, anyone else notice the SPAM song (Monty Python's Flying Circus) in the beginning of the vocal jam? Nice touch.

Strange Design- Ah Page sings. I managed to catch this tune so often I saw more than half of all the versions they ever played. It was pretty much a given that they would play it if I was in attendance.

Antelope- I love this Lope. Rocking version with all the boys on fire. Just enough of that summer 95 chaos finds it's way into the jam. Just enough to make it hard to dance to in sections, but when they hit the groove coming out of these chaotic sections....pure bliss!

Sleeping Monk/Rocky Top- We were on the bridge, ready to hit the lots or run back in, when they started this duo... We kept heading to the lot.

Lots of fun revisiting this show. One of the highlights of summer 95 with probably the most unique song selection. Also, I should note that I love this venue. Plenty of room to move around, trees, a nice flat perch up top, only downside is the sound is mediocre high on the lawn.

Also, when we arrived back at our vehicles post-show my friend realized he left his new Volvo's drivers side door wide open for the whole show. Not a thing was missing or out of place. Something that would have never happened in the years to come.

Paug FTMFW!

khalpin

My first time hearing this one:
My Friend, My Friend I love this as a set/show opener.  Solid.
Don't You Wanna Go First time I ever heard this one.  Wish they would play it more often.  Seems to have some untapped potential.
Gin Pretty good jam.  Nothing too crazy, though.
Nicu Standard, which is a good thing.
Sloth Also standard
MMGAMOIO Also standard
Ice Nice, tight version.  Good to hear.
Dog Faced Boy Bathroom break
Tela Can't go wrong with Tela. A nice treat.
Possum Nice finish to the set.  

I'd give the first set a B+, based on a good setlist and solid jamming.  Nothing to elevate it to an A, though.  The highlights for me being Don't You Want to Go, Ice and Tela.

sls.stormyrider

great show
great sound quality

Set 1
solidly played, not much here to blow me away.
Highlights for me were Gin, Tela with nice work by Trey, and a killer Possum. OK, the jam started to blow me away.

Set 2
epic
DWD- amazing jam, great segue>
Free- both of these are top 10 versions
Poor Heart-good
YEM-not much to add to others comments. I didn't notice the spam on the vocal jam. I did hear "hot tub", which I'm gonna guess is taken from Eddie Murphy's James Brown spoof
Strange Design-great song. perfect after YEM
Antelope-picked up where the others left off. rages

E
Sleeping Monkey, Rocky Top- they had to do an encore.

To me, set 2 is what  :phish: is all about. great, exploratory jams with 4 pairs of hands and one mind.
on the strength of set 2, give this one an A
wish I was there.
thanks, Birdman
:beers:
+k
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Set 1
My Friend My Friend as an opener is usually a god sign unless they fuck it up. This one is a well-played portent of good things to come.

Don't You Wanna Go is rockin. Good little tune that I don't hear enough.

Bathtub Gin: Great version. The 'I Know I Can't Dance" bit is funny. Someone mentioned the ending is odd where the just finish with the words, "Bathtub Gin" but that's old school, iirc.

NICU: Great little tune. A long time fav.
>The Sloth: another fav of mine but there's not a lot to it.
My Minds Got a Mind of its Own is a great bluegrass selection.
It's Ice = hotness
Dog Faced Boy = sweet
Tela = Trey rips this up and Page sounds great...

OK. Before this starts I'm gonna write that this set needs a tit ripper or it's a throwaway.
The intro to Possum forbodes great things and they deliver. Not life changing but a classic hot Possum.

Set 2
Down With Disease: Ok the comparisons to Tweezer are not unjustified. This is pure 1995 improv here. Building and following changes introduced by each of the band members with random grooves and peaks... I love it.

>Free Is rockin. A lotta long wanking solos from trey but still hot as balls.

>Poor Heart ?? Not a smooth transistion by any means but hey... what's this weird chorded 'solo' in here? Whatever. Thank you, Page, for tearing it up on a traditional solo on that there piano. Then another clunky transistion into

>YEM. Ahhh.... This one is meaty and well done. It never goes really out of bounds but it's a great example to offer to someone who wants to experience a YEM. Long vocal jam...

Strange Design is pretty.

Antelope Good not mindblowing...

E
Sleeping Monkey is good.
>Rocky Top is Rocky Top.

I gives this show a 7 of 10. Not crazy, off the chain but certainly a top notch entry.

G. Augusto

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 17, 2008, 12:35:06 PM
Don't You Wanna Go is rockin. Co-Written with JOhn Popper, I believe... Good little tune that I don't hear enough.

Big John co-wrote a traditional Gospel tune with the Missionary Sisters and then gave it to Trey?!  :-o
What a sleeeze...
I think you're thinking of "Don't Get Me Wrong".  :wink:
a

rowjimmy

Called out and corrected...
:frustrated:

Hell it's a miracle that i was able to give this show enough attention to review it... Tough week this has been.

khalpin

Set Two:
DWD Fantastic.  Takes a little bit to get
going.  Gets a little spacey ~8:00, then by ~10:00
Trey's doing a little Peter Gunn-ish line, starts to
get atonal with some off-beat stuff thrown in around
~15:00.  Like pnchundi said, it's almost like a
Tweezer jam.  Picks up some steam after a bit.  Wow,
this is really good stuff.  Great segue into:
Free I think it's safe to say this is the best version of Free I've heard.  Nice spacey jamming.  Trey gets a bit Hendrix-ish around 8 or 9 minutes in.  Really picks up around 11:00 in.  This also sounds like a Tweezer jam.
Poor Heart Even Poor Heart gets shaken up a bit.  What a crazy set.
YEM Curious to hear this, as it was on my list of songs I needed to hear.  Not as adventurous as the rest of the set preceeding this, but contains some quality jamming and as others have mentioned, contains a great B&D segment.  And, as usual, I just can't stand the vocal jam.
Strange Design Finally, the set settles down for a bit.
Antelope But not for long.  Good, solid version.  Not great, though.
Sleeping Monkey Not really a fan of this one.
Rocky Top Love it.

Great second set.  Borderline perfect up to Strange Design.  I'd give the set an A and the whole show an A-.  Thanks for turning me onto it.