News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Quiz Time

Started by sophist, November 13, 2006, 02:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Hicks

Surprise, surprise!     :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

Quote from: gainesvillegreen on November 13, 2006, 05:41:42 PM
I am almost positive this church is closely associated with Ralph Waldo Emerson.  That might be a good place to start your research phan...
I will look into that.  thanks.

K+ for those that took the quiz

thanks.

Some of the results surprised me, some didn't (cough) Ikki (cough)  :wink:
Ikki, your score wasn't as liberal as I thought it would be. 

anyway, thanks again to all who took it and those who plan to take it.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mattstick

tet

Liberal... who'd have thunk!   :evil:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

susep

Here's my religion score:

1.  Unitarian Universalism (100%) 
2.  Theravada Buddhism (94%) 
3.  Liberal Quakers (91%) 
4.  Secular Humanism (80%) 
5.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (79%) 
6.  Mahayana Buddhism (69%) 
7.  Neo-Pagan (69%) 
8.  Taoism (64%) 
9.  Jainism (59%) 
10.  New Age (57%) 
11.  Nontheist (54%) 
12.  Sikhism (51%) 
13.  Bahá'í Faith (50%) 
14.  Hinduism (46%) 
15.  Orthodox Quaker (45%) 
16.  Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (42%) 
17.  Reform Judaism (41%) 
18.  Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (40%) 
19.  New Thought (40%) 
20.  Jehovah's Witness (34%) 
21.  Scientology (28%) 
22.  Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (26%) 
23.  Seventh Day Adventist (20%) 
24.  Orthodox Judaism (14%) 
25.  Eastern Orthodox (9%) 
26.  Islam (9%) 
27.  Roman Catholic (9%) 

susep

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism:

Theravāda Buddhism

Theravāda is Pāli for "the Doctrine of the Elders". Theravāda teaches one to encourage wholesome states of mind, avoid unwholesome states of mind, and to train the mind in meditation. The ultimate aim of practice, according to Theravāda Buddhism, is the attainment of freedom from suffering. Theravāda teaches that this experience of suffering is caused by mental defilements like greed, aversion and delusion, while freedom can be attained though putting into practice teachings like the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path.

The Theravāda school bases its practice and doctrine exclusively on the Pāli Canon and its commentaries. The Sutta collections and Vinaya texts of the Pāli Canon (and the corresponding texts in other versions of the Tripiṭaka), are generally considered by modern scholars to be the earliest Buddhist literature, and they are accepted as authentic in every branch of Buddhism.

Theravāda is the only surviving representative of the historical early Buddhist schools. Theravāda is primarily practiced today in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Laos, Thailand, Cambodia as well as portions of China, Vietnam, Malaysia and Singapore. It has a growing presence in Europe and America.

Mahāyāna Buddhism

The Mahāyāna (Sanskrit: "Great Vehicle") branch emphasizes infinite, universal compassion (maha-karuna), or bodhicitta - the selfless, ultra-altruistic quest of the Bodhisattva to attain the "Awakened Mind" (bodhicitta) of Buddhahood so as to have the fullest possible knowledge of how most effectively to lead all sentient beings into Nirvana. Emphasis is also often placed on the notions of Emptiness (shunyata), prajna-paramita and Buddha-nature. The Mahayana can also on occasion communicate a vision of the Buddha or Dharma which amounts to mysticism and give expression to a form of mentalist pantheism or panentheism (God in Buddhism).

In addition to the Tripitaka scriptures, which (within Mahayana) are viewed as valid but only provisional or basic, Mahāyāna schools recognize all or part of a genre of Mahayana scriptures. Some of these sutras became for Mahayanists a manifestation of the Buddha himself. Mahāyāna Buddhism shows a great deal of doctrinal variation and development over time, and even more variation in terms of practice. While there is much agreement on general principles, there is disagreement over which texts are more authoritative.

Native Mahāyāna Buddhism is practiced today in China, Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka and most of Vietnam. The Buddhism practiced in Tibet, the Himalayan regions, and Mongolia is also Mahāyāna in origin, but will be discussed below under the heading of Vajrayāna. Some of the sects of the Mahāyāna include the various schools and traditions within Chan/Zen and Pure Land.

Hicks

Quote from: phan003 on November 14, 2006, 09:14:52 AM

Ikki, your score wasn't as liberal as I thought it would be. 

Really?  Although I am a third generation liberal Democrat, I've always considered myself pretty middle of the road as far as liberals go.  I guess it's all about context, here in the People's Republic of Portland, I am far from a leftist nutjob.  Here's some k for ya phan, looks like your mystery smiter got busy again last night.   :|
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sophist

QuoteHere's some k for ya phan, looks like your mystery smiter got busy again last night.
thank you.  I don't know whats going on with that.  I disagree with Marmar on his statements, but it was a civilized disagreement. I wish the individual would confront my statements, and explain why they feel that way. 

oh well,
thanks again.   
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

PhishJY

Your PERSONAL issues Score is 70%.
Your ECONOMIC issues Score is 90%.
Quote from: nab on April 13, 2007, 09:50:05 AM
Honestly though, this whole post whoring thing is getting to be a little ridiculous.  But does having a higher post count make a cooler pauger?

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

gimmetela

wow....liberatarian....i knew that already.   :banana: