News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

agreed, possibly Allen's last great one.

edit - upon further review, and after being corrected by caravan, this has been edited.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

cactusfan

aw, heck no! manhattan is allen's best, i think, but he was just getting started with the brilliant movies.

stardust memories is a great overlooked one, also shot in glorious black and white. basically his version of a fellini movie, very 8 1/2 like.

the purple rose of cairo is great (and is in fact allen's personal favorite of his movies. he's not in it, maybe that's why).

broadway danny rose is great.

crimes and misdemeanors is the other true masterpiece. just devastating. for some reason he revisited the exact same theme in that tennis movie he just made with scarlet johansson-- um-- match point-- though that movie basically sucked. now why he's making two movies about men who murder inconvenient women and then learn to live with it is something to think about...

husbands and wives is great, with a performance by judy davis that's got to be one of the most amazing ever.

and finally, what i think is his last great movie, bullets over broadway. beautifully written. and he's not in it. that was in '94. everything since then has kind of sucked to one degree or another. he seems to just crank out movies for the sake of cranking them out. oh well. he's done enough. and he's old and nuts.

sls.stormyrider

hmm. guess I forgot a few.

I was never much of a fan of stardust, but I do like the others that you mentioned. a lot.
I guess I was thinking of the few clunkers (shadows and fog, everyone I love you) and forgot the good ones.
I also liked Sweet and Lowdown. Small Time Crooks was funny for the first half, then got a little tired.
I'm also a huge fan of Banannas, Annie Hall, and Sleeper.

I guess what I'm trying to say is ignore my remark about "last great one".
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Guyute

The 6 year old and I watched Star Wars start to finish this afternoon, he loved it.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

mattstick

Sunshine.

Exactly what I expected, so fun in that respect.  Otherwise it was SciFi fluff.

shoreline99

This Is Spinal Tap!

Hello Cleveland!!!  Rock and Roll!!!
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

kellerb

Quote from: shoreline99 on August 10, 2007, 02:15:21 PM
This Is Spinal Tap!

Hello Cleveland!!!  Rock and Roll!!!

I watched spinal tap last night w/ the commentary on--its almost, but not quite, as hilarious as the original movie.  Best "actor" commentary I've heard in a long time.

rowjimmy

Love the Tap commentary... All in-character.

Hicks

Breach

It sucked.  Ryan Phillippe cannot act his way out of paper bag.  It also featured the worst "German" accent I've ever heard in my life.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

Once, I LITERALLY had to act my way out of a paper bag.
It was so surreal, but I got out.
Then I partied so hard.
Celebration style.
a

mattstick

Breach did suck, I fell asleep.

Hicks

Quote from: August on August 11, 2007, 11:08:46 PM
Once, I LITERALLY had to act my way out of a paper bag.
It was so surreal, but I got out.
Then I partied so hard.
Celebration style.
a

music got you celebrating?
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

Quote from: Hicks on August 11, 2007, 11:11:38 PM
music got you celebrating?

I'm just celebrating!
General.
In it.
a

Hicks

thechad

Just finished The Fountain, watched it on blu-ray, was really good, however, it now wins as the most depressing movie that I have ever seen.  But I highly recommend it, especially so in one of the HD formats.
"There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese."          -Bobby Finstock