News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

There Will Be Blood.

yet another overhyped 'masterpiece.'
paul thomas anderson seems to have this knack for mimicing all the appearances of a great movie: nice shots, great actors giving big performances, good soundtrack (by johnny greenwood), a feeling of gravitas to everything, long running times... yet there's no there there. there's no movie. daniel day lewis embodies this hateful character very well as always, but the character does the same thing in every scene for almost three hours. nothing changes. nothing really happens, either. there's no dramatic build, nothing that happens in one scene really affects what happens later. you could almost shuffle the scenes randomly and not change anything, aside from the progress of the oil well. and the final scene, well, whatever. it makes no sense at all, other than to say, no, REALLY, this guy is TOTALLY a bastard. okay, i get it. jesus.

i want my three hours back.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: redrum on January 05, 2008, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: slslbs on January 02, 2008, 08:43:45 PM
Help! (gift from the mrs)

is it the re-release?

if yes, did you watch the extras yet and how are they?

anything special?
yes.
The bonus disc was interesting. Usual stuff - background stories on making the movie, mostly from Dick Lester and a little from Neil Aspinall. Some trivia-noteably Mal Evans (the road manager) was the swimmer looking for the White Cliffs of Dover. There was a scene that was cut. They don't show the scene; I suspect it doesn't exist anymore, but told the story. There was also a bit about the restoration of the movie.

I don't think the bonus disc is must have stuff. I'm not sure if the re-release is better quality video or not, though.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 06, 2008, 12:25:20 AM
Wrath Of Khan

Great movie, but I'm pretty sure it gave a whole generation of men my age horrible nightmares about ear slugs for years. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

redrum

Quote from: slslbs on January 05, 2008, 11:42:26 PM
Quote from: redrum on January 05, 2008, 11:52:17 AM
Quote from: slslbs on January 02, 2008, 08:43:45 PM
Help! (gift from the mrs)

is it the re-release?

if yes, did you watch the extras yet and how are they?

anything special?
yes.
The bonus disc was interesting. Usual stuff - background stories on making the movie, mostly from Dick Lester and a little from Neil Aspinall. Some trivia-noteably Mal Evans (the road manager) was the swimmer looking for the White Cliffs of Dover. There was a scene that was cut. They don't show the scene; I suspect it doesn't exist anymore, but told the story. There was also a bit about the restoration of the movie.

I don't think the bonus disc is must have stuff. I'm not sure if the re-release is better quality video or not, though.

you don't think it exists anymore? whys that? i'd think it would.

-------------------------

Last Movie I Watched?

JUNO

good flick. some good music references. i'd recommend it.

Quote from: sunrisevt on April 13, 2010, 03:18:25 PM
It's a great day on the interweb, people.

Quote from: McGrupp on July 06, 2010, 02:17:12 PM
You guys know the rule... If you weren't there, it wasn't anything special...

---

Anyone who ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and hate it.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: redrum on January 06, 2008, 05:52:35 PM

you don't think it exists anymore? whys that? i'd think it would.

I think if a missing scene existed, they would show it in a bonus disc that had a whole "chapter" about it, including an interview with one of the actresses in it.
but, who knows?
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

redrum

hmm.

maybe the remaining beatles are strapped for ca$h and they're holding out for the re-re-release.  :lol:

---

sls.stormyrider

on that topic, has anyone seen the DVD release of A Hard Day's Night?. I've read mixed reviews of the sound quality on that one.

redrum

Quote from: slslbs on January 06, 2008, 07:36:14 PM
on that topic, has anyone seen the DVD release of A Hard Day's Night?. I've read mixed reviews of the sound quality on that one.

the one that came out a couple (or few) years back?

funny cause i bought it and for some reason still haven't opened it.

its not like i buy stuff and don't open it either, just never did with that.

so guess i jus wasted your time to tell you that i can't answer your question.  :|

my bad.

---

sls.stormyrider

you could make it up by watching it and telling me what you think  :wink: :-)

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: slslbs on January 06, 2008, 07:36:14 PM

I've got it.
watched it multiple times.

sound is kinda shitty... but i enjoy that movie a lot, so the first few times through i didn't notice...

to me, it sounds like whomever remastered this really didn't have a full grasp on what they're doing.
there was one time i got pissed, and maybe i just got the glitched one...
but my sound dropped out for a split second.... if you're not an avid fan, you'd have not noticed.
but it's in dual layer format.. which i think might trigger a slight pause IIRC.....

the second disc is kinda fun on here... just people talking about memories about that time in the Beatles career...
Sid Bernstein talking about Carnegie hall and Shea stadium... Klaus voorman memories... one of their tailors laughing about a special fitting of the outfits from Hard Day's night... Martin's song by song of the soundtrack...lester and marton talking about production/direction of it... and i think a few other things...

now that i'm talking about it, mom wants to watch it... so i guess that'sw getting put in next....  :-)
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

rowjimmy

I've never noticed anything wrong with the sound on my copy of Hard Days Night.
Love that fuckin movie, btw.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 06, 2008, 09:15:43 PM
Love that fuckin movie, btw.

me too.

might be busting out the anthologies, now..... thanks guys...
looks like i'll be up all night :)

the antholgies... and anything of the like about any band i like tend to be my most favorite things to watch.
i'm always open for suggestions in the dept. of things you think i might not have seen  :wink:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

alcoholandcoffeebeans

the contract.

i have now seen EVERY movie (that i can find) that John Cusack is in or has had his hands in, somehow...

YES. he is my favorite.

Wolfmansbrother

Quote from: redrum on January 06, 2008, 05:52:35 PM

Last Movie I Watched?

JUNO

good flick. some good music references. i'd recommend it.

saw it last night
i knew nothing about it and had no expectations so i really enjoyed it
i actually hated the first 10-15 minutes or so and thought i had wasted nearly $20
but the rest of the flick made up for that in droves (of laughs)