News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Movie You Watched.

Started by converse29, August 12, 2006, 10:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Poster Nutbag on August 30, 2008, 03:41:41 PM
Anyone watch the movie on Dylan... I'm Not THere...?? Great flick, such a good way to portray Dylan... Dylan was a bit of a riddle to say the least...
not what I expected but a very cool movie

I recognized the source of Thin Man from RJ's last mix  :-)

The other night I put in the  :syf: movie
still is unreal
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

antelope19

I watched Grateful Dawg the other night.  Great flick and I loved the footage of those 2 together. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Mr Minor

I am teaching a film studies class to high schoolers and we are watching different genres of films.  Just finished a "not just sports movies" genre and watched:

Cool Runnings
Miracle
Victory

Starting a musicals genre with:
The Music Man
Blues Brothers
A Hard Days Night

Ri©h

Hamburger Hill.

Probably the best and most accurate depiction of the Vietnam War.  Great movie.

cactusfan

Quote from: Rich on September 04, 2008, 04:51:47 PM
Hamburger Hill.

most accurate? for all i know. best? hell no! try watching Apocalypse Now. or Full Metal Jacket.

cactusfan

Quote from: Mr Minor on September 04, 2008, 02:21:47 PM
I am teaching a film studies class to high schoolers and we are watching different genres of films.  Just finished a "not just sports movies" genre and watched:

Cool Runnings
Miracle
Victory

Starting a musicals genre with:
The Music Man
Blues Brothers
A Hard Days Night

i just watched West Side Story for the first time last night. i generally don't get into musicals, but it's pretty great. as long as you can get past a couple of gangs singing and dancing. would be good for your class. and though it's a bit racey, there's All That Jazz. but if you already showed the R rated Blues Brothers, maybe that's cool. and you really have to show Singin' In The Rain, since it's the best musical of all time. (said the guy who's not into musicals).

rowjimmy

West Side Story is epic.
A must for a discussion on Musical Film.

gah

Tell No One.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362225/

In french with subtitles, but a helluva mystery thriller. Check it out if you get the chance.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

Ri©h

Quote from: cactusfan on September 05, 2008, 12:32:38 AM
Hamburger Hill.

most accurate? for all i know. best? hell no! try watching Apocalypse Now. or Full Metal Jacket.

Apocalypse Now is less about Nam and more about a complete psychopath and the man sent to kill him.  Full Metal Jacket is awesome...  no doubt about it.

Hicks

Quote from: Rich on September 05, 2008, 02:13:50 PM
Hamburger Hill.

Apocalypse Now is less about Nam and more about a complete psychopath and the man sent to kill him.  Full Metal Jacket is awesome...  no doubt about it.

Indeed Apocalypse Now just happens to be set in Nam, it's more about war and the madness it causes in general. 

No love for Platoon?  It was the first to try and tell it from the grunts perspective.  Willem Dafoe and Tom Berenger were really good in it too and even though Sheen is a joke now his performance is decent. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on September 05, 2008, 02:30:15 PM
Hamburger Hill.

Indeed Apocalypse Now just happens to be set in Nam, it's more about war and the madness it causes in general. 

It's bigger than that. It's not just about the madness of war, it's about the madness of man.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 05, 2008, 02:43:38 PM
Hamburger Hill.

It's bigger than that. It's not just about the madness of war, it's about the madness of man.

Sure, sure but since all of the characters are engaged in war then it becomes a chicken or the egg debate.  Are they crazy because they are in the middle of a war, or was the insanity always there and was it the root cause of war in the first place?

mind=bl0wn!  :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Ri©h

No love for Platoon?  It was the first to try and tell it from the grunts perspective.  Willem Dafoe and Tom Berenger were really good in it too and even though Sheen is a joke now his performance is decent. 

When Platoon came out I was working in a movie theater and I saw it a lot.  A great movie to be sure.  Not long after that Full Metal Jacket came out and when I saw it I thought it blew Platoon away.  Don't get me wrong though... I still love Platoon.  8-)

Mr Minor

Quote from: Hicks on September 05, 2008, 02:51:11 PM
Hamburger Hill.

Sure, sure but since all of the characters are engaged in war then it becomes a chicken or the egg debate.  Are they crazy because they are in the middle of a war, or was the insanity always there and was it the root cause of war in the first place?

Apocolypse Now is based on the book "Heart of Darkness" which focuses on the themes of the absurdity of evil, the hypocrasy of Imperialism, and the madness as a result of imperialism.   Kurtz from the novel deals with Imperialism; Kurtz from the movie deals with the US involvement in the war.

The movie uses the setting of the war to illustrate these themes, so it's not the chicken or the egg, it's just a avenue to illustrate these ideas.
Sheen's character is not "involved in the war" as his mission is to get Kurtz.  Involvment in the war along the way is another symbol of the movie.
In the novel, the Congo river is the symbol of the white man's ability to get into Africa and not be a part of the what is going on around him.  The same goes for Sheen's character who uses the river to get to places he should not be, allowing him to do so without be part of the war around him.  The struggles on the river in both the movie and the novel symbolize the struggle the main character is having with understanding Kurtz.

edit: It is still a mind blowing movie...

rowjimmy

Quote from: Mr Minor on September 05, 2008, 03:03:06 PM
Quote from: Hicks on September 05, 2008, 02:51:11 PM
Hamburger Hill.

Apocolypse Now is based on the book "Heart of Darkness" which focuses on the themes of the absurdity of evil, the hypocrasy of Imperialism, and the madness as a result of imperialism.   Kurtz from the novel deals with Imperialism; Kurtz from the movie deals with the US involvement in the war.

The movie uses the setting of the war to illustrate these themes, so it's not the chicken or the egg, it's just a avenue to illustrate these ideas.
Sheen's character is not "involved in the war" as his mission is to get Kurtz.  Involvment in the war along the way is another symbol of the movie.
In the novel, the Congo river is the symbol of the white man's ability to get into Africa and not be a part of the what is going on around him.  The same goes for Sheen's character who uses the river to get to places he should not be, allowing him to do so without be part of the war around him.  The struggles on the river in both the movie and the novel symbolize the struggle the main character is having with understanding Kurtz.

edit: It is still a mind blowing movie...

Exactly.