News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Need Phono Preamp Suggestions

Started by nab, March 02, 2010, 10:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Well I made the decision to start venturing into the vinyl realm this weekend.  There was a Dennon DP-11F in the basement and I decided to start from there.  I took the turntable to the local turntable repair shop and had them bring it up to specs.  This included some rewiring of the arm, a new Grado Presige Green Stereophonic Cylinder (Phono Pick Up), a lubrication and a cleaning of the timing unit.  It seems to be running slick now.

Problem is, I forgot that my Yamaha HTR 5940 receiver would need a Phono Preamp to get any decent signal out of the turntable.

I already spent $100 bucks on the turntable repair and only have about $50 for a  preamp.  I was wondering if any of you vinyl guys would be able to point me in the right direction on that budget.  I realize that I could spend a lot more on a preamp, but I'm pretty much stuck at that budget for a while.

I would like to find one with a usb connection should I choose to transfer any of my vinyl in the future, but all those that I have looked at only run at 16 bit 48khz. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Edit to Add:  I need one that isn't usb powered as well.  I don't want to have to have it hooked to the computer to work.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

nab

Thanks Hicks.

I went into the shop where I got the turntable work done today and asked what they had available.  I wasn't impressed with the option they showed me after looking over what was available last night.

The guy went back in the back room and brought out one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-SP-2-Stereo-Phonograph-Preamplifier/dp/B00005T3FF

Probably not the best choice in the world, but it will at least allow me to asses my vinyl capabilities, and it was free taboot. 

I'll definitely look into the AT you suggested, just gotta lay low on the electronics for a while.

Bought Hazards of Love vinyl for my first new vinyl purchace and was impressed with the results even using this phono premamp.

You'll be happy to know I'm planning to give Merriweather Post Pavilion another try since I found it on vinyl at the local store as well.  Might take this time.

Thanks

rowjimmy

That phono pre that you picked up is adequate. I use one because I'm too lazy or otherwise "broke" to upgrade.

tet

glad you got something that works for you. 

if you have enough saved up in the future, i'd grab something with a bit more oomph.  i snagged a Bellari VP-129 from the audiogon forums a year ago on the cheap- they have a new model out now, the VP-130, so you might find some decent deals on the 129 at this point...  the thing is a champ and adds such a nice warmth to my vinyl- especially when plugging my Grados directly into the pre-amp (most pre-amps will have the ability to route the sound to the stereo and headphone simultaneously)
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

postjack

Quote from: tet on March 04, 2010, 10:31:06 AM

if you have enough saved up in the future, i'd grab something with a bit more oomph.  i snagged a Bellari VP-129 from the audiogon forums a year ago on the cheap- they have a new model out now, the VP-130, so you might find some decent deals on the 129 at this point...  the thing is a champ and adds such a nice warmth to my vinyl- especially when plugging my Grados directly into the pre-amp (most pre-amps will have the ability to route the sound to the stereo and headphone simultaneously)

i agree, this is a decent little unit.  i haven't used mine since i started using the phono in my pre and dismantled my secondary vinyl rig.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

rowjimmy

I'm thinking seriously about selling another piece of equipment that I own to finance a new phono pre (among other things...)

tet

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 04, 2010, 11:38:35 AM
I'm thinking seriously about selling another piece of equipment that I own to finance a new phono pre (among other things...)

Your Grados??   :-o :crazy: :rawk: :music:
-Phish

postjack

Quote from: tet on March 04, 2010, 11:52:32 AM

don't do it!!  :crazy:
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

nab

Quote from: tet on March 04, 2010, 10:31:06 AM

Yeah, I don't really view it as a permanent fixture in the system (then again what is), but then again as RJ said:

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 04, 2010, 10:09:40 AM
That phono pre that you picked up is adequate. I use one because I'm too lazy or otherwise "broke" to upgrade.

The wife isn't gonna let too much more money go out for any more system upgrades for a while, so it will do for now.

rowjimmy

That's what I'm considering...

tet

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 04, 2010, 12:55:54 PM

That's what I'm considering...

-Phish