News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Old turntable / preamp question

Started by shoreline99, July 16, 2014, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shoreline99

Just dug out my old turntable, which has been at my parents' for many years. Technics SL-DD22. Have to check the cartridge, but a question to you audio peoples - IIRC this turntable has a line level output and needs a receiver with a preamp built in or a separate preamp. I got rid of my old stereo equipment years ago. I haven't dug out my vinyl in many years but now have some space to dig out my old stuff and set it up.

Any recommendations for a preamp/simple setup? What's the best way to hook this up to my crappy SONY system for the time being? Eventually I will upgrade the whole system once the basement is finished; all surplus funds being diverted to that cause at the moment.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

PIE-GUY

If your amp has a "phono" jack and setting then you are all set. If not, you'll need a basic pre-amp. I used to use one of these... but I sold it to Justjezmund...

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-PA1-2-Phono-Pre/dp/B002PSJVV4/
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

You need a Phono pre-amp to defeat the RIAA EQ curve.

Not sure what I/O your Sony system has, but if you can input with RCA cables, this box will do the trick:

http://www.parts-express.com/art-dj-pre-ii-phono-preamp-with-riaa-equalization--245-876

mbw

Quote from: mattstick on July 16, 2014, 11:08:47 AM

Not sure what I/O your Sony system has, but if you can input with RCA cables, this box will do the trick:

http://www.parts-express.com/art-dj-pre-ii-phono-preamp-with-riaa-equalization--245-876

that's what i use and was gonna recommend as well.
for a inexpensive unit, it gets very good reviews, even on the audiophile sites.
and for your purposes you don't need anything more really.

shoreline99

Quote from: mattstick on July 16, 2014, 11:08:47 AM

Yes, it has RCA cable inputs; it's an old reliable bookshelf system that I've had for years and I use it with my XM receiver now. Perfect.

Thanks to both you and PG for commenting; I don't want to dump a lot of cash into a new system until I have the room for it.

Augustus

I have that Art pre that I can ship to you for $25.

shoreline99

Quote from: Augustus on July 16, 2014, 04:09:13 PM
I have that Art pre that I can ship to you for $25.

Damn, already ordered it and it's shipped

antelope19

Hoping to get a new table in the next 6 months, so I may jump on that at some point, Aug. 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Buffalo Budd

So I swapped my table upstairs to my old SL-B2 that I had collecting dust since the one I was using seemed to lag at the odd spot in certain records.
Then this different one seems to be doing the same thing. I've adjusted the pitch and it just seems to slow down randomly.  I gave them both a serious cleaning but didn't take em apart to get every small part.
Should I A) give her a spray of WD40 or B) take it to get her cleaned by a professional?
Am I outta my league here is what I'm getting at?

ETA. And does anyone get a crackle when a high pitch is hit in a song?  Working w/o an EQ here.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

kellerb

probably just a space-time distortion in your house.  Adjust your quantum control slightly.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: kellerb on August 12, 2014, 09:04:02 PM
probably just a space-time distortion in your house.  Adjust your quantum control slightly.

I think that was included on the SL-B1 but then scrapped when they came out with the B2.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Augustus

Crackle is either dirt on the record or a sign that your stylus is getting too old.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Augustus on August 13, 2014, 04:34:13 AM
Crackle is either dirt on the record or a sign that your stylus is getting too old.

Well, it only happens with the odd disc so I'm gonna go with former. 
I play a lot of records but I can't imagine the red is gone yet.