News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/02 - Super Ball IX - Watkins Glen, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by bacchist, July 03, 2011, 12:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Quote from: Caravan2001 on July 03, 2011, 01:06:01 PM
Quote from: Marmar on July 03, 2011, 11:58:22 AM
day one = dud

day two = dud

late night = dud

even if they pull out all the stops and jam their asses off......Super Ball IX = DUD.

All I hear is nostalgia.....didn't they already do a spacey late night?....like this makes the 3rd time?.....lame....UBER lame

Do yourself a favor and quit living in the past.....

Not living in the past one bit....

But there is absolutely NO WAY anyone can say these shows are good.....YAY they played, good.....they played a bunch of songs......there's no MUSIC being made.....nothing new.....stale.....standard setlists.....

christ, it's like the 90's GD setlist standards all over again.....I get that they might still be feeling each other out a bit, but after the first half of the tour, and the progress they made (which I actually dug....they seemed like they found a direction that worked for them) this "Ball" was like taking a giant step backwards....nothing got explored, same old noize and poor attempts at rawk peak.....it's just disheartening to listen to them play so mediocre after having gained so much momentum up to this point....

They fell flat on their faces.

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

bacchist

Rebuilding...

Caravan2001

Quote from: guyforget on July 03, 2011, 01:09:49 PM
day one = dud

day two = dud

late night = dud

even if they pull out all the stops and jam their asses off......Super Ball IX = DUD.

All I hear is nostalgia.....didn't they already do a spacey late night?....like this makes the 3rd

time?.....lame....UBER lame

i get that the hate gets old, but...

dont you at least feel a little blue balled by the fact that theyve played 5 festival sets and divided sky is the
longest song so far?  not counting the ambient set, obviously...

I hear your point.  And I honestly can't comment on the shows because I have only heard about 25% the stream....length does not really mean anything, but the fact that D.Sky is longer than anything else is a little disconcerting.....still, when a band is out there trying to put on a great event for their fans and all the time and effort that goes into it, calling it uber lame is uber lame.  Especially if it is a band you claim you are a fan of.  Regardless of whether they or not they deliver musically in your opinion, they are making an effort to do something.  Put on your own non-lame festival if it bothers you so much....

fauxpaxfauxreal

I only listened to the Sleeping Monkey last night, because I was out partying.  But the way Sleeping Monkey was played is the way that Phish should play EVERY song.

That is all.

Also, does Sophist lose his bet because of the fourth set?  I thinks yes.

phil

I think the fourth set is pretty meh-tastic. Aside from two five minute segments, the whole thing was, as someone else said, halloween noises. Nothing interesting. Just disjointed noisemaking. The sleeping monkey was cool. Really cool. It would have been nice if the whole set was that cool.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

guyforget

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on July 03, 2011, 01:29:06 PM
I thinks yes.

he definitely loses. 

Quote from: Caravan2001 on July 03, 2011, 01:24:08 PM
Quote from: guyforget on July 03, 2011, 01:09:49 PM
day one = dud

day two = dud

late night = dud

All I hear is nostalgia.....didn't they already do a spacey late night?....like this makes the 3rd

time?.....lame....UBER lame

i get that the hate gets old, but...

dont you at least feel a little blue balled by the fact that theyve played 5 festival sets and divided sky is the
longest song so far?  not counting the ambient set, obviously...

I hear your point.  And I honestly can't comment on the shows because I have only heard about 25% the stream....length does not really mean anything, but the fact that D.Sky is longer than anything else is a little disconcerting.....still, when a band is out there trying to put on a great event for their fans and all the time and effort that goes into it, calling it uber lame is uber lame.  Especially if it is a band you claim you are a fan of.  Regardless of whether they or not they deliver musically in your opinion, they are making an effort to do something.  Put on your own non-lame festival if it bothers you so much....

i've listened to most of it.  i've had a great time listening to most of it.  im in the camp that really loves going to phish shows and listening to them while they happen, but im much more selective when it comes to going back and re-listening or putting on the ipod or whatever.  i wouldnt put these shows on my ipod, is all im saying. 

tonight should be fairly predictable, but the opportunity to jam is there - dwd, ghost, yem, slave, free, wilson....  and fluffhead is out there to be a longer song thats not yem. 

the next two longest tracks, after divided sky are both jams, are gin and simple from the first night.  i did not hear the gin, but the simple was pretty hot from what i remember, but i was kinda drunk and havent been back for a 2nd listen. 
-AD_

Caravan2001

I heard the Simple jam and really liked it, especially  the Hendrix teases...

whatapiper

Quote from: Caravan2001 on July 03, 2011, 01:47:11 PM
I heard the Simple jam and really liked it, especially  the Hendrix teases...

overall the Simple, Hood and 4th set are my highlights but i have not heard the Gin.

Setlist may be predictable tonight but yes, the opportunity to really explore is definitely there
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

mattstick

I was pretty bored during the second set. I chose to just go to bed early to try and beat this cold instead of staying up for set III. Somewhat looking forward to hearing set III somehow.

I'm sure those in attendance had a great time, but the 3.0 train keeps rolling, not gathering steam just chugging along. 

fauxpaxfauxreal

Mattstick hit the nail on the head.

Only show I'll listen to again from this summer that I wasn't at (unless someone else plays it in my presence) is DTE.  I'll probably spin Charlotte from time to time too, but I won't count it because I was there.

G. Augusto

Quote from: mattstick on July 03, 2011, 06:16:10 PM
I was pretty bored during the second set. I chose to just go to bed early to try and beat this cold instead of staying up for set III. Somewhat looking forward to hearing set III somehow.

I'm sure those in attendance had a great time, but the 3.0 train keeps rolling, not gathering steam just chugging along.

It would be cool if it made a sound.

cactusfan

birdman

You guys sitting at home are all fucking nuts. Sets 3 and 4 were both wonderful. Keep sitting at home with your thumbs at your ass and the scowls on your face. Hate 3.0 is getting a little repetitive.
Paug FTMFW!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: birdman on July 04, 2011, 02:15:15 PM
You guys sitting at home are all fucking nuts. Sets 3 and 4 were both wonderful. Keep sitting at home with your thumbs at your ass and the scowls on your face. Hate 3.0 is getting a little repetitive.

Ser. Something is definitely happening and you people are missing it.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul