News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igbo

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 21, 2012, 07:23:12 AM
I stand up for Kezar.

Me too. I think this is one of the first tapes I ever got. Still ranks high for me.

Caravan2001

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 21, 2012, 09:13:47 AM
Quote from: sophist on March 21, 2012, 09:10:40 AM
Are they allowing tapers for this run?

I'm sure they are. They always do, don't they?

No taping allowed, video OR audio, believe it or not.  On the website is says "no taping allowed of any kind (yet). Let's all try to be in the moment" or some bullshit like that.  Some people can't be in the moment if you don;t come onstage until midnight EST....Shit, I am on the west coast and I had to bail 35 minutes in....

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 21, 2012, 10:23:49 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 21, 2012, 09:13:47 AM
Quote from: sophist on March 21, 2012, 09:10:40 AM
Are they allowing tapers for this run?

I'm sure they are. They always do, don't they?

No taping allowed, video OR audio, believe it or not.  On the website is says "no taping allowed of any kind (yet). Let's all try to be in the moment" or some bullshit like that.  Some people can't be in the moment if you don;t come onstage until midnight EST....Shit, I am on the west coast and I had to bail 35 minutes in....

Hrm.. I meant for the upcoming tour. Not surprised about the Terrapin run.

VA $l!m

Quote from: nab on March 21, 2012, 01:13:49 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 20, 2012, 10:03:19 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on March 20, 2012, 09:39:06 PM
got a nice surprise random disc combo in my car cd changer today:

5-26-73 and 11-4-77.

was very interesting back to back.
actually similar feeling shows with some repeats  ( ie. Eyes) that really highlighted the progression of the band in those years.

hadn't heard the Kezar in awhile and it still holds top 20 all time show status for sure.

Was never a huge fan of Kezar for some reason.  Really looking forward to the official release that's coming up though.....

Me either.  It's a nice long show.  It's got some good hype.  But I've never really fallen for the show anymore than any other random show from the era.  It's full on 73 to be sure, but I've never heard the x-factor that brings it above it's brethren.   

Been a while though, maybe time to examine with a different headspace.

its weird. i dunno, its definitely one of the first shows i ever owned in perfect low gen quality back in the day, so its ingrained in my psyche.

though, i can see how some might glaze over it as par for the course.

however, i strongly disagree.
here's why:

1. VERY, VERY, VERY Strong first set(s) ( the second set is basically still 1st set mat'l).

Outside of excellent versions of the big 1st set songs, IE: Playin!, China>Rider, the type A material especially in set 1 is class A perfect/ well above average. songs you usually don't get more than one exceptional version of in a 1st set are all perfect in a row: DEAL, Tenn jed, Race is On, LLRain, TLEO, Biodtl, Woman enough, BOX---- these are all some of my top versions ever played all in one set.
--- add to that IS the VIBE/ X-factor... HC sunshine set opener?...yeah, it was on (--one of the best versions played BTW).

After 6-29-76, this is probably my most played first set(s) over the last 20 years. 'nuff said.

2. one of very few of the 3 set shows that has consistent playing for the Entire show. IMHO, this show never lets up as far as quality of playing. I've always listened to the entire show, which i almost never do with other shows.

3. the 3rd set. VERY underrated 3rd set. really picks up after the opener, but the He's gone>TRUCKIN>EYES>China doll really deserves to be mentioned in any discussion of best jam sequences they ever played.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 23, 2012, 09:33:19 PM
Quote from: nab on March 21, 2012, 01:13:49 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 20, 2012, 10:03:19 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on March 20, 2012, 09:39:06 PM
got a nice surprise random disc combo in my car cd changer today:

5-26-73 and 11-4-77.

was very interesting back to back.
actually similar feeling shows with some repeats  ( ie. Eyes) that really highlighted the progression of the band in those years.

hadn't heard the Kezar in awhile and it still holds top 20 all time show status for sure.

Was never a huge fan of Kezar for some reason.  Really looking forward to the official release that's coming up though.....

Me either.  It's a nice long show.  It's got some good hype.  But I've never really fallen for the show anymore than any other random show from the era.  It's full on 73 to be sure, but I've never heard the x-factor that brings it above it's brethren.   

Been a while though, maybe time to examine with a different headspace.

its weird. i dunno, its definitely one of the first shows i ever owned in perfect low gen quality back in the day, so its ingrained in my psyche.

though, i can see how some might glaze over it as par for the course.

however, i strongly disagree.
here's why:

1. VERY, VERY, VERY Strong first set(s) ( the second set is basically still 1st set mat'l).

Outside of excellent versions of the big 1st set songs, IE: Playin!, China>Rider, the type A material especially in set 1 is class A perfect/ well above average. songs you usually don't get more than one exceptional version of in a 1st set are all perfect in a row: DEAL, Tenn jed, Race is On, LLRain, TLEO, Biodtl, Woman enough, BOX---- these are all some of my top versions ever played all in one set.
--- add to that IS the VIBE/ X-factor... HC sunshine set opener?...yeah, it was on (--one of the best versions played BTW).

After 6-29-76, this is probably my most played first set(s) over the last 20 years. 'nuff said.

2. one of very few of the 3 set shows that has consistent playing for the Entire show. IMHO, this show never lets up as far as quality of playing. I've always listened to the entire show, which i almost never do with other shows.

3. the 3rd set. VERY underrated 3rd set. really picks up after the opener, but the He's gone>TRUCKIN>EYES>China doll really deserves to be mentioned in any discussion of best jam sequences they ever played.

HCS is killer. best version.

I remember when I first got the show and thought HCS?? Then I heard it. Problem solved.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

sls.stormyrider

Don't think this was posted yet

http://rockhall.com/exhibits/grateful-dead/

Quote[
Open April 12, 2012 - December, 2012 | Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum Floors 5 & 6
Share This

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is proud to present a major exhibition devoted to a truly unique American rock and roll band, Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip. The exhibit will open on  Thursday, April 12, as a part of the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Week events. 

"The Grateful Dead is a band that is identified with a remarkable era in American history, and, inasmuch as they embody that era, their work is timeless," says Jim Henke, Vice President of Exhibits and Curatorial Affairs. "They've inspired many performers and bands, but none has exhibited their musical depth and cultural resonance. In a 30-year career, this group wrote their own rules and created a community unlike any band before or since."

Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip explores the band from a non-linear point of view. Individual sections within the exhibit will be devoted to Grateful Dead as a recording group and a touring band, the fans who devotedly followed them, tapers and fellow travelers (people who were important to the band). It will include finished and working manuscripts for classic songs, handwritten notes from legendary taper Dick Latvala, artifacts from original sound designer Owsley "Bear" Stanley, and promoter Bill Graham's Father Time robe and Grateful Dead Hotline answering machine.

Art and design have always been closely associated with Grateful Dead, and this exhibit will include an unprecedented collection of original artwork that is immediately recognizable from the band's album covers and posters. It will feature numerous instruments used by the Grateful Dead over the years, including keyboards, drums, percussion, guitars and elements from the legendary Wall of Sound PA system. The Grateful Dead Archive at the University of California-Santa Cruz has loaned a significant number of items from their extraordinary collection, which will open to the public in Spring 2012.

Additional highlights include:

·    Five Jerry Garcia guitars, including his Travis Bean TB5
·    Mickey Hart's custom-painted drum kit
·    Two Bob Weir guitars, including his first Ibanez "cowboy" custom guitar
·    Several original lyric manuscripts, including "Truckin'," "Box of Rain" and "Sugaree"
·    Several original Grateful Dead-related artworks, including images from Workingman's Dead, Without a Net and Fillmore Auditorium poster art
·    Bill Graham's "Father Time" robe

Formed in Palo Alto, California, in 1965 from a previous incarnation as a bar band called the Warlocks, the Grateful Dead were at the epicenter of the sweeping cultural event that was San Francisco in the Sixties. Their music was informed by a diverse set of influences – contemporary classical composition, bluegrass, rhythm & blues, free jazz, rock and roll and the blues. Fueled by a cultural underground of writers, poets and bohemians that stretched from Oakland and Berkeley in the East Bay to Palo Alto on the peninsula, the Grateful Dead developed an ethos that embraced true artistic pursuits over commercial concerns, improvisation over rote arrangements and mind expansion through the use of psychedelic drugs.

The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame and Museum has teamed with the Grateful Dead and Rhino Entertainment on an exclusive line of merchandise around the exhibit. The items, which will be sold exclusively at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, will include apparel, accessories, and other items featuring iconic Grateful Dead imagery.

This exhibit will be open through December 2012.

"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Quote from: slslbs on March 23, 2012, 10:31:21 PM
Don't think this was posted yet

http://rockhall.com/exhibits/grateful-dead/

Quote[
Open April 12, 2012 - December, 2012 | Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum Floors 5 & 6
Share This

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum is proud to present a major exhibition devoted to a truly unique American rock and roll band, Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip. The exhibit will open on  Thursday, April 12, as a part of the 2012 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Week events. 

"The Grateful Dead is a band that is identified with a remarkable era in American history, and, inasmuch as they embody that era, their work is timeless," says Jim Henke, Vice President of Exhibits and Curatorial Affairs. "They've inspired many performers and bands, but none has exhibited their musical depth and cultural resonance. In a 30-year career, this group wrote their own rules and created a community unlike any band before or since."

Grateful Dead: The Long, Strange Trip explores the band from a non-linear point of view. Individual sections within the exhibit will be devoted to Grateful Dead as a recording group and a touring band, the fans who devotedly followed them, tapers and fellow travelers (people who were important to the band). It will include finished and working manuscripts for classic songs, handwritten notes from legendary taper Dick Latvala, artifacts from original sound designer Owsley "Bear" Stanley, and promoter Bill Graham's Father Time robe and Grateful Dead Hotline answering machine.

Art and design have always been closely associated with Grateful Dead, and this exhibit will include an unprecedented collection of original artwork that is immediately recognizable from the band's album covers and posters. It will feature numerous instruments used by the Grateful Dead over the years, including keyboards, drums, percussion, guitars and elements from the legendary Wall of Sound PA system. The Grateful Dead Archive at the University of California-Santa Cruz has loaned a significant number of items from their extraordinary collection, which will open to the public in Spring 2012.

Additional highlights include:

·    Five Jerry Garcia guitars, including his Travis Bean TB5
·    Mickey Hart's custom-painted drum kit
·    Two Bob Weir guitars, including his first Ibanez "cowboy" custom guitar
·    Several original lyric manuscripts, including "Truckin'," "Box of Rain" and "Sugaree"
·    Several original Grateful Dead-related artworks, including images from Workingman's Dead, Without a Net and Fillmore Auditorium poster art
·    Bill Graham's "Father Time" robe

Formed in Palo Alto, California, in 1965 from a previous incarnation as a bar band called the Warlocks, the Grateful Dead were at the epicenter of the sweeping cultural event that was San Francisco in the Sixties. Their music was informed by a diverse set of influences – contemporary classical composition, bluegrass, rhythm & blues, free jazz, rock and roll and the blues. Fueled by a cultural underground of writers, poets and bohemians that stretched from Oakland and Berkeley in the East Bay to Palo Alto on the peninsula, the Grateful Dead developed an ethos that embraced true artistic pursuits over commercial concerns, improvisation over rote arrangements and mind expansion through the use of psychedelic drugs.

The Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame and Museum has teamed with the Grateful Dead and Rhino Entertainment on an exclusive line of merchandise around the exhibit. The items, which will be sold exclusively at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, will include apparel, accessories, and other items featuring iconic Grateful Dead imagery.

This exhibit will be open through December 2012.

When I went last year to the exhibit in NYC, it was amazing.  I can't wait to get down to UCSC to see the whole shebang once they get that up and running.  Sounds like the show at the Hall of Fame has some different stuff, I think they only had a few of Jerry's guitars and not the Travis Beam.  I think just the lightning bolt and Rosebud maybe....good stuff, really fun to look at up close....

PIE-GUY

The rock hall has had a couple of Jerry's guitars on display for years. I'm gonna try to get up there this year. I saw the springsteen exhibit last year and was cool. I'd really like to see the Dead one.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

I was there about 10 years ago, they had a special exhibit on Furthur and SF.
very cool

mattstick

Two of Jerry's guitars and the Phish Hot Dog and Fries are all in the main lobby area, you don't even have to pay to see them.

But it's worth paying to go into the Rock Hall...

kellerb

Jim Irsay's got a display of his randomly-collected(BOUGHT) stuff at the state museum here for a couple months.  I need to go check it out.  It's got at least one Jerry guitar along with the original "on the road" scroll

VA $l!m

Quote from: kellerb on March 24, 2012, 09:02:11 PM
Jim Irsay's got a display of his randomly-collected(BOUGHT) stuff at the state museum here for a couple months.  I need to go check it out.  It's got at least one Jerry guitar along with the original "on the road" scroll

i saw something on ESPN awhile back about the current owner of the Colts, the son of the original Irsay (BITCH  :-P), he had one of Jerry's guitars he bought. i think it was Tiger.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

barnesy305

Quote from: VA $l!m on March 24, 2012, 09:06:16 PM

i saw something on ESPN awhile back about the current owner of the Colts, the son of the original Irsay (BITCH  :-P), he had one of Jerry's guitars he bought. i think it was Tiger.

It was, I believe he also owns Blackie.

kellerb

Quote from: barnesy305 on March 24, 2012, 09:07:59 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on March 24, 2012, 09:06:16 PM

It was, I believe he also owns Blackie.

I believe it is Tiger.  I hadn't heard that he was the one that bought Blackie, but it doesn't surprise me.  Say what you will about his NFL decisions, he's spent a shit-ton of money preserving that "On the Road" scroll and I assume he gives the same respect to his other acquisitions.

A good followup discussion:  Jerry's guitars:  regardless of current "owner," should they be out there being played constantly or should they be preserved in a museum context.  I assume we all agree that they should not be locked up in some rich guy's private collection.