News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Paug Runners' World

Started by GBL, August 21, 2009, 06:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

August

The stick is my go-to. I have 3 and keep one upstairs, downstairs and in my car.
Kinda hate the foam roller as it's kind of a workout.
I also have a Roll Recovery R8 which was a gift and will kick your ass.
Serious deep tissue recovery.

Pre-race, I'll do a few dynamic stretches and maybe a few strides for shorter distances.
Post-run is more dynamic stretches, generally hitting my calves.
I need to do all of these things more, tho.

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: August on January 22, 2018, 02:56:24 PM
Maybe you'll even inspire WTU to stick with running!

Did my complete drop-off in posts here give it away?

:wtu:=busted

I went 5 days straight... then planned to take two days off...which then turned into two weeks....or three....and here we are.  I've still been lurking in this thread though, what's that count for? 1/4 mile? 1/2 mile?  :shakehead:
Bring in the dude!

August

aphineday

Ok, so what's the secret to keeping your sweaty run stuff all fresh and clean smelling? I'm using the Tide Sport pods right now. Interested in finding out if you all have a better option?
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

August

Apparently, fabric softener isn't good for tech material, but my running gear just get lumped into all of my regular laundry anyway.
I just wash them like regular clothes!  :-D

gah

Yeah, I just include all my running/workout clothes in my regular laundry. Maybe that's not the best idea, but I'm too lazy to separate everything out.

Trip to Big Bend Outer Mountain Loop was sick, covered 35 miles in 3 days (8/18/9) with between 12-14K in elevation gain/change. Took it easy the first day, and then killed some mileage day two, and finished the loop day 3. My buddy who is a big time hiker was wore out the 2nd and 3rd days from the first days climb, and so I took the lead and was crushing it. We did a backcountry hiking trip through Zion back in November, and he said he could tell my marathon training had paid off in my hiking. This is also why I run... so I can go do shit I love like hiking trips or Jazzfest (you'd be surprised at how being in better shape greatly increases the enjoyment factor of a festival trip!).
Anyhow, the morning we were gonna come back, I saw there was a state park nearby, so I went out for a 4 mile trail run. It was slow going because of the two 600 foot climbs over loose, rocky terrain, but it felt good being free of a 20lb pack...
Then the day I got back, I did a 5 miler, and still felt good, so I think I just needed a little break from the high mileage runs and mentally needed a break from the rigidity of the training schedule. Pumped for a long run this weekend.

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

gah

August

gah

I had a friend tell me that applying body glide to his nipples prevents chaffing and bleeding. I can attest, painfully, that this is simply not true.  :shakehead: Bandaids it is.

August

Quote from: gah on February 12, 2018, 03:53:14 PM
I had a friend tell me that applying body glide to his nipples prevents chaffing and bleeding. I can attest, painfully, that this is simply not true.  :shakehead: Bandaids it is.

:-D

gah

Books. Over the last couple years, I've read or listened to some books, that have helped with motivation and also offer advice.

The Courage to Start: A Guide to Running for Your Life, by John Bingham - short chapters, with plenty of humor. Many, many years ago, when I used to get Runners World, I read his column first every time.
Running for Mortals, by Jenny Hadfield and John Bingham - also humorous but a lot of good initial advice for beginners, or those just coming back like myself
The Non-Runners Marathon Trainer, by David Whitsett and Forrest Dolgener - a 16 week training guide, with both the physical, but also psychological aspects of facing a marathon...I've found this to line up pretty well up or down by a week with my journey thru the training process
How Running Changed My Life, by Garth Battista - a collection of short 2-5 page essays by runners of all ages and levels, really great bathroom reading, short and quick and easy stories, but all powerful and that you can connect with.

Audible:
Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall - pretty essential reading/listening
Running Ransom Road, by Caleb Daniloff - personal memoir of a guy facing his past addictions, sobriety, and past thru running; personally, I really connected with this guys story
Eat and Run, by Scott Jurek - cool to hear his stories, and how having a vegan/vegetarian diet is compatible with a running life; the narrator on Audible makes him sound like a dick, and maybe he is, but I feel like if I read it, I'd have a different experience. Still cool tho.

Almost done with Eat and Run, any others you guys have read or would rec? I've also got Running and Being by George Sheehan, but it's a little too heady for me right now.

August

Ultramarathon Man: Dean Karnazes

gah

Quote from: August on February 13, 2018, 08:29:47 PM

Nice, got it next on tap.

What's up with the middle of the night runs?!?! 3, 4 am!?! Insane!

August

Quote from: gah on February 15, 2018, 01:01:41 PM

Sweet! Great, engaging, funny read. Definitely piqued my interest in distance running.

Yeah, I've been working on mental strength recently.
3AM long runs before work and endless loops.
The time is just more of a commitment thing.
Alarm goes off and I can either go run long in the rain or stay in a cozy bed for a few more hours.
The loops pass by my house every mile, which gives me the option to quit with every loop, so you're sticking to your commitment while building mental strength.
Plus, your mind starts getting a little weird while running loops, so it's kinda cool.
I might hop into a 50K in 2 weeks which is a 5K Loop ten times, so I'm just laying down a base if I do decide to race it.

gah

Quote from: August on February 15, 2018, 06:08:33 PM
Quote from: gah on February 15, 2018, 01:01:41 PM

Sweet! Great, engaging, funny read. Definitely piqued my interest in distance running.

Yeah, I've been working on mental strength recently.
3AM long runs before work and endless loops.
The time is just more of a commitment thing.
Alarm goes off and I can either go run long in the rain or stay in a cozy bed for a few more hours.
The loops pass by my house every mile, which gives me the option to quit with every loop, so you're sticking to your commitment while building mental strength.
Plus, your mind starts getting a little weird while running loops, so it's kinda cool.
I might hop into a 50K in 2 weeks which is a 5K Loop ten times, so I'm just laying down a base if I do decide to race it.

Beast mode!

That reminds me of a story in Scott Jurek's book, about how he was doing this 24 hour race, basically it's whoever can run the most miles in that time period, and it was loops as well, maybe 1 mile?, maybe 3? I can't remember. But he talked about how he didn't listen to music for the first 8 hours, to try and just see how long he could go before having to go to that as a distraction because of how mind numbing the endless loops become and mentally how challenging it can be. But as the hours passed, he began to see the music as a horizon off in the distance of his mind that he wanted to reach...Anyhow, 50K, and loops is sick. Hope you get a chance to do it.