News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Show Attended?

Started by cactusfan, November 03, 2006, 01:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 04, 2019, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: shoreline99 on February 04, 2019, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 03, 2019, 03:41:21 PM
Hicks and I made a last minute decision to hit Phil and Family Band last night.  Beers were had.  It was a decent show.  I bailed halfway through.  There were some good parts and some not as good parts but always good to see Phil and always good to hang with the Hickster.  :syf:

I just can't bring myself to shell out the $$$ to see Phil and Family again. Once was enough.

At least with Phil & Friends you get a decent line up - McLaughlin, Herring, Molo, Jackie Greene, or the likes. JRAD started as basically a P&F spin off..

Quote from: gah on February 04, 2019, 11:16:17 AM
Marcus King Band friday night....so good. The kid can shred, but he also took me places the way Derek Trucks does...and his band is super tight as well, all talented musicians. Check him while you can on these smaller stages, cause he's going to be around for a long time and playing bigger and bigger venues.

Saw him for the first time last year with As the Crow Flies. Kid has chops, and definitely has a long career ahead of him.

Yeah, that's why we made a last minute decision and put a $50 cap on what we were willing to spend.  Some of it was good, I mean, it is Pbil after all, but for the most part it's pretty watered down and as far as other tribute type bands, Family band is toward the bottom of my list.  Last time I saw Phil it was underwhelming as well which is sad to say, but I mean, the guy is pushing 80 so....

I dunno man, I thought the last Crystal show we saw was way better than this one. But that's probably because that time they had Krasno and this time they had the kid from Grateful Shred, so yeah, kind of a big difference there.  They closed the set with Saturday Night and it felt like that pretty much summed it up. 

Anyway, I had fun, thanks again for meeting up with the ticket brah, but the show was kind of on the meh side of things. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

WhatstheUse?

The family band is.... not great. Probably the weakest side project ever associated with his name.

It's a tough one to swallow. I'm sure I'd want to tour around with my kid when I reached that age too... hard to fault the guy. But..... it's got to be less fun for him musically too, right?
Bring in the dude!

Caravan2001

Quote from: Hicks on February 04, 2019, 07:21:57 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 04, 2019, 05:10:20 PM
Quote from: shoreline99 on February 04, 2019, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on February 03, 2019, 03:41:21 PM
Hicks and I made a last minute decision to hit Phil and Family Band last night.  Beers were had.  It was a decent show.  I bailed halfway through.  There were some good parts and some not as good parts but always good to see Phil and always good to hang with the Hickster.  :syf:

I just can't bring myself to shell out the $$$ to see Phil and Family again. Once was enough.

At least with Phil & Friends you get a decent line up - McLaughlin, Herring, Molo, Jackie Greene, or the likes. JRAD started as basically a P&F spin off..

Marcus King Band friday night....so good. The kid can shred, but he also took me places the way Derek Trucks does...and his band is super tight as well, all talented musicians. Check him while you can on these smaller stages, cause he's going to be around for a long time and playing bigger and bigger venues.

Saw him for the first time last year with As the Crow Flies. Kid has chops, and definitely has a long career ahead of him.

Yeah, that's why we made a last minute decision and put a $50 cap on what we were willing to spend.  Some of it was good, I mean, it is Pbil after all, but for the most part it's pretty watered down and as far as other tribute type bands, Family band is toward the bottom of my list.  Last time I saw Phil it was underwhelming as well which is sad to say, but I mean, the guy is pushing 80 so....

I dunno man, I thought the last Crystal show we saw was way better than this one. But that's probably because that time they had Krasno and this time they had the kid from Grateful Shred, so yeah, kind of a big difference there.  They closed the set with Saturday Night and it felt like that pretty much summed it up. 

Anyway, I had fun, thanks again for meeting up with the ticket brah, but the show was kind of on the meh side of things.

Yeah, better all around setlist and better playing.  The Lovelight that night was pretty legit.

Caravan2001

Saw the Richard Thompson Trip last night.  He was awesome!  It was mix of older Fairport stuff and new songs.  He really is a master of the Stratocaster, but I think I might have been most impressed with the solo acoustic stuff.  Some of the fingerpicking was beyond.  The guy can shred for sure.

PIE-GUY

Literally happening in real time these days:

https://jambands.com/news/2019/02/06/the-capitol-theatre-moves-marcus-king-bands-garcias-show-to-main-stage

QuoteThe Capitol Theatre Moves Marcus King Band's Garcia's Show to Main Stage

After selling out both of their upcoming shows at The Capitol Theatre's Garcia's bar in early March, The Marcus King Band have been moved to The Cap's main theater stage for their performance on March 8.

The Port Chester, NY venue announced the switch today, marking the first time a Garcia's show has been upgraded in this manner. Tickets to the show go on sale this Friday, Feb. 8, at noon EST, with a venue pre-sale beginning tomorrow, Feb. 7, from 10 a.m to 10 p.m. (previously purchased tickets to the Garcia's show will be honored for the new location).

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sls.stormyrider

Cool
They deserve it
So happy to catch them at the Sinclair in Cambridge when we did
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: slslbs on February 06, 2019, 02:51:01 PM
Cool
They deserve it
So happy to catch them at the Sinclair in Cambridge when we did

Absolutely they do.

Good for them for getting that upgrade at the Cap.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

shoreline99

Saw St. Paul and the Broken Bones over the weekend. Good show, band has a lot of talent and the guy sure can sing, but uneven setlist and relatively short set for a headliner. Rocked the upbeat songs but their slow numbers draaaaaagged.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

Caravan2001

Went to Spiritualized on Monday with Hicks and BurmesePython.  Really good show, I was super impressed.  Sound was great music was excellent.  If you have a chance to see this tour, do it.

Buffalo Budd

Spiritualized do not disappoint live, even though Spaceman usually sits in a chair not facing the audience. Never quite understood that.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 03, 2019, 12:32:34 PM
Spiritualized do not disappoint live, even though Spaceman usually sits in a chair not facing the audience. Never quite understood that.

Ha, yep, that was indeed what he did. 

Nine piece band though, and yeah sound was on point in a venue known for having dodgy acoustics as the stage is in a corner of all places.

Stoked to have finally seen him, played the new record all the way through and it gave me a new appreciation for it.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

The new album is pretty sick, would love to hear it live.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

Bela Fleck and Chick Corea

likely will have a new album soon

really cool show
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gah

Quote from: slslbs on April 29, 2019, 01:36:38 PM
Bela Fleck and Chick Corea

likely will have a new album soon

really cool show

Nice! I was just looking at tickets for that show for next Saturday night. Will likely attend.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

rowjimmy

Saw Nickel Creek last night at Music Hall of Williamsburg. They were wonderful. This was their first show in five years as well as the first of 2 nights at MHoW leading up to a Wednesday night double-bill with Thile's other band, The Punch Brothers, at Carnegie Hall.

They sounded wonderful together and the audience was terrific too. Quiet in the quiet parts and singing enthusiastically at other times. This heavily partisan crowd hung on every note. Thile's unbridled enthusiasm is almost comical at times but, because it is also infectious, you can't disparage it. The guy won't stop smiling and neither did anyone in the room.