News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

State of the Union Address

Started by Guyute, January 23, 2007, 10:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

No need to explain yourself, I know you were just busting my balls.  Usually I'm pretty good with catching grammatical errors, but today seems to be the exception. 

I had no idea that Arkansas was in that bad of shape.  Here in Georgia, especially in Atlanta, racism isn't that prominent, but the further south or north you venture(outside of I-285) the more obvious it is to the naked eye(in certain cities its real obvious while other rural areas have made some progress).  I have some cousins that live near Savannah, and well I'll just say that they are a little behind in their appreciation of racial equality.  Its really sad to me, but bitching about ignorant people belongs in another thread. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Guyute

Quote from: phan003 on January 24, 2007, 03:44:37 PM
No need to explain yourself, I know you were just busting my balls.  Usually I'm pretty good with catching grammatical errors, but today seems to be the exception. 

I had no idea that Arkansas was in that bad of shape.  Here in Georgia, especially in Atlanta, racism isn't that prominent, but the further south or north you venture(outside of I-285) the more obvious it is to the naked eye(in certain cities its real obvious while other rural areas have made some progress).  I have some cousins that live near Savannah, and well I'll just say that they are a little behind in their appreciation of racial equality.  Its really sad to me, but bitching about ignorant people belongs in another thread. 

I used to have a client in Stone Mountain, it was pretty obvious there.  Of course it was the last town in America with a mayor that was open about being a KKK member.

BLINK BLINK
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

sophist

Quote from: nab on January 24, 2007, 01:57:29 PM
Anyone know where I can get a video of the address online.  The google video is unavailable.  I missed the speech due to birthing classes last night and would like to see it in its entirety before judgment.   
nab,
here is the complete transcript and webcast:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/stateoftheunion/2007/

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

susep

from Webb:
QuoteWhen I graduated from college, the average corporate CEO made 20 times what the average worker did; today, it's nearly 400 times. In other words, it takes the average worker more than a year to make the money that his or her boss makes in one day.

"Slave to the Corporatelight"

sls.stormyrider

thanks for the link- fell asleep just as he started talking about Iraq.

Agree with your comments, Phan. His domestic ideas sound good, but most of them are the same ones he has been talking about for 7 years. Either he hasn't tried to get'em done, or he couldn't get his Repub Congress to get it done. Either way, bad for him.

QuoteNot that I am sticking up for this president, but I will say that I spent a year in Arkansas doing a statewide assessment of the entire public school system down there.  And it wasn't for my enjoyment, trust me.  It was directly related to "No Child left Behind".  What a mess the public school system was/is down there.  Arkansas is second only to Mississippi for the worst school system in the country.  It really made me appreciate the things we take for granted up here in the Northeast.  I have seen things that you wouldn't believe, in terms of what they consider "learning arenas"  Major water damaged and even crumbling buildings, outdated, ripped text books, disgustingly dirty food halls, fire hazards, etc etc etc.  I could go on for hours.  But now they have set up an entire infrastructure down there dedicated to their school system.  They are FINALLY pumping money into and consolidating many of their school districts.  And the worst part about it, Racism still runs rampant down there in some areas.  I got every greeting in the book; from those poor schools who thought I was the second coming of Christ because they knew that I was there to help, to being chased off of campus with a machete because one of the wealthier, still prodominantly all white schools knew I was there to change their "perfect little world".  And NO, I am not exaggerating in the slightest.  This same project has already happened in Boston and areas of Ohio.  Arkansas was the first State wide assessment, but others are coming down the pipe.  This was an experience I will never forget.   
intersting story Antelope. Glad to see some good stuff happening. Just curious (the skeptic in me), is this really because of No child left behind, or something else.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

nab

Thanks for the link.  Made for some interesting conversation with the wife.  Might be the first time I've heard a republican president utter the words "global climate change".  While that phrase is not as politically loaded as "global warming", I can only hope that it might be a start in the right direction.  I won't be holding my breath however.

susep

Quote from: nab on January 25, 2007, 01:15:03 PM
Thanks for the link.  Made for some interesting conversation with the wife.  Might be the first time I've heard a republican president utter the words "global climate change".  While that phrase is not as politically loaded as "global warming", I can only hope that it might be a start in the right direction.  I won't be holding my breath however.

Bush is good at throwing key issues on TV but in reality he and Cheney are  :evil:  His team knows what we want to hear so he speaks.  Divide by 10 and there's the real Bush.

nab

Quote from: susep73 on January 25, 2007, 01:24:51 PM
Bush is good at throwing key issues on TV but in reality he and Cheney are  :evil:  His team knows what we want to hear so he speaks.  Divide by 10 and there's the real Bush.

No doubt, a snake is a snake.  This is why I had to watch the address as opposed to reading it.  I can tell when he is lying by watching him.  On second thought, maybe I don't need to watch at all, I already know when he's lying, when his lips are moving.

Guyute

blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

nab

Quote from: Guyute on January 25, 2007, 01:39:50 PM
blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink blink

Probably just nervous.