News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Daniel Johnston

Started by PIE-GUY, September 11, 2019, 06:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

I sometimes don't know how far these things go outside of Austin, but Daniel Johnston's legend looms large over this town. His influence outside of Austin cannot be overstated, either. I just don't know if he is someone y'all know. I just have no concept of him outside of Austin.

I'm not somebody who has spent years dissecting his insanely prolific songbook, but I was fortunate to see him perform twice in the last 20 years. The most memorable of those was at ACL Fest - he had the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand even as he clearly struggled be comfortable up there.

I saw the news of his passing while I was out and about trying to drum up some beer business that had me near the drag, so I swung by and visited his mural and snapped some pics.

Rest in Peace, Daniel. Thank you for leaving behind your art.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

Saw him about 4 years ago.  Short but profound concert.
RIP.

Hicks

Sad news, the documentary about him, The Devil and Daniel Johnston I think? is outstanding. 

Definitely a one of a kind artist who in his own way helped open the door for others on the fringe. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

PIE-GUY

Also this...

https://www.austinfilm.org/2019/09/watch-this-a-young-daniel-johnston-in-richard-linklaters-first-short-film

From the Austin Film Society:

WATCH THIS: A YOUNG DANIEL JOHNSTON IN RICHARD LINKLATER'S FIRST SHORT FILM

We are very saddened to hear the news of Daniel Johnston's passing today. To celebrate his legacy, we wanted to share AFS Founder and Artistic Director Richard Linklater's first short film from 1985, WOODSHOCK. Before it became "The Live Music Capital of the World," Austin, Texas was home to an alternative music festival known as Woodshock, the first taking place in 1981. The 1985 Festival included performances by local (and otherwise) musicians Daniel Johnston, Texas Instruments, Dharma Bums, the U-Men, Glass Eye, Cargo Cult (fronted by Biscuit of Big Boys), The Reivers, Poison 13, and the festival's unofficial mascot, The Hickoids. (–Dangerous Minds). Below is the full video of Linklater's WOODSHOCK featuring a young Daniel Johnston.