News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Fire Torre?

Started by tet, October 09, 2006, 10:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tet

Quote from: august on October 09, 2006, 11:31:02 PM
ok...
i say fire him.
a

if they do, then i hope they hire somebody with balls.... like Valentine   :clap:
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

August

Quote from: tet on October 09, 2006, 11:45:39 PM
ok...
i say fire him.
a

if they do, then i hope they hire somebody with balls.... like Valentine   :clap:

at least we agree on something!
Bobby was great.
a

cleech74

How about Lasorda.  What's he doing now? :-P
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

Guyute

Quote from: cleech74 on October 10, 2006, 01:04:47 AM
How about Lasorda.  What's he doing now? :-P

GM for the Dodgers I think.

Firing Torre, great idea.  The problem can't be the team George is putting around him.  Torre won with guys from the farm orginization, George decided it was superstar time.  Problem is, a lot of the time the superstars can get you to the playoffs, but stink in them. 

Of course that and a pitching staff with an average age of 102.

Really, your ace should have his AARP card.
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

DoW

I have your answer for you.  Joe Girardi.  Think about it.  It makes sense.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

jephrey

I sure liked Girardi as a player.  Always solid.  Good catcher.  Seems like catchers would make good managers and he did well considering the circumstances this year.  The Cubs are also looking at him along with this years' announcer Bob Brenly who used to manage the Diamondbacks.  His commentary in the booth makes me think he'd be OK.  Chicagoans keep thinking that they're trying to get Ron Santo, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Ryno, etc a championship.  that was the reason for Dusty Baker and all the money spent on good players.  Unfortunately, it hasn't panned out yet.  Luckily, not as much dough as the Yankers, but still a lot.  Wait till next year...  Bears > Cubs > Bulls > Blackhawks.  Who cares about any other teams?

J
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tet

-Phish

shoreline99

Quote from: tet on October 09, 2006, 11:45:10 PM
Quote from: phan003 on October 09, 2006, 11:30:09 PM
^I don't think thats a word  :wink:

you, sir, have not yet mastered the internets...   :evil:

the internet - it's a series of tubes, right?

i say he [torre] stays for the last year of his contract. pinella or whoever becomes the next manager is gonna be an interim guy until steingrabber feels that donnie baseball is experienced enough to skipper the team.

just my $.02.

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

shoreline99

Quote from: august on October 09, 2006, 11:47:30 PM
Quote from: tet on October 09, 2006, 11:45:39 PM
ok...
i say fire him.
a

at least we agree on something!
Bobby was great.
a

i agree. bobby v was an underrated and undervalued coach. he did a lot with the mets given the talent he had to work with. willie has had the backing of the organization ($$$) to shore up his team...
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

antelope19

Yes, PLEASE fire him.  I would love to see the yankees suck again!!!!!!   :roll:  I am sure Angelos would be all over that.  A nice contract of 5 mill a year would be right up our alley!!!!  GD O's.   :| 
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sls.stormyrider

Bring back Billy Martin :evil:
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

cleech74

"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

tet

well looks like The Boss gave him 1 more year to pull it together - if he doesn't, i bet he won't get a contract renewal at that point so both sides can walk away the winners and Steinbrenner can hire anyone else he want.  I think Bobby V's Japan contract is up next year too...  :banana:
-Phish

ma215

Quote from: tet on October 10, 2006, 04:05:55 PM
well looks like The Boss gave him 1 more year to pull it together - if he doesn't, i bet he won't get a contract renewal at that point so both sides can walk away the winners and Steinbrenner can hire anyone else he want.  I think Bobby V's Japan contract is up next year too...  :banana:

Best decision Steinbrenner has made in the past few years.  I'm all for giving Torre the final year of his contract and seeing what he can do w/ it. Now all the yank's need to do is throw a bunch of the money they would save by not resigning Sheff and Moose at Zito and we would have the beginning of another good season.

sls.stormyrider

spending $ is part of the problem. they have to go for guys that are good in the locker room and perform when the pressure is on, not just the ones that put up the best #s. That's a lesson they should have learned in the 80's (Dave Winfield, Dave Collins, a number of other high priced superstars with superstats that I can't remember, and yes the Billy Martin feuds). But George (despite all his WS rings, he should have more), the NY Rangers front office, and a lot of other teams can't figure that out.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."