News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Upgrade Play back system...

Started by AfterMidnight, February 17, 2011, 10:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AfterMidnight

Currently have a pair of Klipsch SF-1 floors and a Denon AV1610.

I'm running everything from hard drives > macbook pro i5 > 1/4 Aux cable > 1610. I'm looking to ditch the analog cable find a better connection. Any suggestions???

ph92

Quote from: AfterMidnight on February 17, 2011, 10:32:29 AM

I'm running everything from hard drives > macbook pro i5 > 1/4 Aux cable > 1610. I'm looking to ditch the analog cable find a better connection. Any suggestions???
Honestly to my knowledge there isn't much you can do besides get a headphone amp/dac with the output capabilities. This is how I have my desktop setup:

Optical>DAC>RCA>Source Selector>Speakers
                                                       >Headphone Amp>Headphones

Unless you get a USB device with some sort of RCA out or something the only audio option you have with most all laptops is the 1/4" aux jack
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

twatts

I want one of these:  http://www.esi-audio.com/products/drdacprime/

But for you, I would start by running the TOSLINK out of the macbook into the TOSLINK input of your Denon.

Terry

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

ph92

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on February 17, 2011, 01:35:59 PM

But for you, I would start by running the TOSLINK out of the macbook into the TOSLINK input of your Denon.

Terry

There is optical out on macbooks? or is it the output through the headphone out, cause I have seen that before.
Make America Melt Again!

twatts

Quote from: phishhead92 on February 17, 2011, 01:55:37 PM

Terry

There is optical out on macbooks? or is it the output through the headphone out, cause I have seen that before.

The headphone jack on MacBooks are 1/8TRS Standard/Toslink in/outs.

Terry 

Headphone/optical digital audio out port
Connect external speakers, headphones, or optical digital audio equipment. The headphone / line output jack accommodates optical digital audio output, analog audio output with a 24-bit, 44.1-192 kHz D/A converter, digital audio output up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-192 kHz sampling rate and supporting encoded digital audio output (AC3 and DTS). For analog headphone / line output a standard audio cable with 3.5mm metal plug should be used. For digital audio, a standard toslink cable with a toslink mini-plug adapter can be used.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1596

Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

ph92

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on February 17, 2011, 02:43:16 PM
Quote from: phishhead92 on February 17, 2011, 01:55:37 PM

Terry

The headphone jack on MacBooks are 1/8TRS Standard/Toslink in/outs.

Terry 

Headphone/optical digital audio out port
Connect external speakers, headphones, or optical digital audio equipment. The headphone / line output jack accommodates optical digital audio output, analog audio output with a 24-bit, 44.1-192 kHz D/A converter, digital audio output up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-192 kHz sampling rate and supporting encoded digital audio output (AC3 and DTS). For analog headphone / line output a standard audio cable with 3.5mm metal plug should be used. For digital audio, a standard toslink cable with a toslink mini-plug adapter can be used.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1596

Well, solid. This opens up alot of options for you. You can get a DAC of some sort (for when your home/at work, it will not be portable). Pretty much all DAC's have RCA outs so that should be the best quality you need!

I could potentially build you a fully featured DAC. PM me if you are interested and we can talk parts and how I might go about doing this. The DAC I would build you would probably be worth $300-400 if it was made by a manuafacturer, I can build it for probably around half that. But I will have to do all the math out. Most manufacturers sell their DAC's starting at around 150 for a simple desktop model (low features, not very good quality).
Make America Melt Again!

Marmar

I'd like to get my hands on a Prodigy 7.1HiFi....

That would be a nice addition to my rig.....
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.