News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Just listened to 5-13-05 and....

Started by zenster, May 15, 2005, 04:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenster

And its .....good.

Its straight rock and roll and Trey sounds great!

The recording is really good too!

But ....

Its nothing I havent heard him do before with phish or this band for that matter. (except Abbey Road)

And theres NO FUNK at all. Embarrassed

Its straight up rock which leaves it almost undanceable.

Its like "Nod Rock"

I enjoy this music more in the comfort of my own home
rather than standing there for 3 hours while they vamp on the same 5 heavy metal chords over and over again.

Plus I dont have to look at the other members of the band who basically make me cringe.

Im not saying it sucks but its not as innovative or funky  as I expected from a guy like Trey.

I wont be dancing to this music anytime soon. Its not that entertaining.
Sure its better than almost every rock band out there
but its not pumping my nads to the point where i would go to multiple shows or travel out side my area code to see them.

Its definately not dance music like the old TAB was,  therfore its rendered  mediocre fun in my book.
Great to listen to , but thats all.
I wouldn't take LSD or E  and dance my ass off to it, its just not that kind of music. Its the  nostalga act he was trying to avoid.

The old TAB was so damn funky andcomplex and  sophisticated with the horns and the
30 minute long versions of songs that this music comes up way  short of being inspirational .

The Abbey Road was a nice attempt but came off as a  timid gimick that just didnt do it for me.
Its a great novelty as being the first time I ever heard anyone cover it .  BUT-
When I think back to the music he used to play with the old TAB its basically a trick to brainwash us into believing its amazing

when all it is ...is,
demographically popular songs mearly played to strategically pander to the
white 30 something fan base hes desperately trying to keep after breaking up
the best rock and roll band that will ever live.

You fucked up holmez...

BRING BACK THE STOP START FUNK TREY, the straight rock and roll is a tedious bore....

This is my honest opinion of the MUSIC.
It lacks the FUNK AND SOUL I need to really take it seriously as music that I would dance to.

I feel like the captian of the musical party just sold us out to the corporate gods of Clearchannel....

Its official......... the dance partys over....: (

Have fun on Zooma tour....
Enjoy!

CRAZYED

I agree with you.  I went to the chicago show.....most boring show i've been to in a long time, even walked out before the encore.  I'm glad Phil & Friends is touring in novemeber because i'm not really looking forward to or planning on doing any z00maw00kie fest shows even though they are playing alpine 20 minutes away from where I live.  I'd rather go watch phil cover ASIHTOS. =]

Not tryign to be one of the h8rs either I just listened and couldnt get into it........I just didnt get it.  Cant understand why he re-worked such great tunes like push on til the day, caymen review and the other orgional TAB tunes....

Glad some of you are loving it though!!!

Itsnotanexperience

so zenster - are you saying that pre-cow-funk, phish is not dancey?
or rather, pre-cow-funk, non-bluegrass, rockin' phish, say, circa '94/'95?
(and i'm not asking that like an asshole, i'm just curious as to how you'd
rate the danciness of pre'97 phish)

mattstick

The funk was played out - you gotta move on...  It's fine if you don't like it but this Clear Channel BS is a load of crap.

The haters will all be back by next spring - mark my words.

zenster

*sigh* can you tell im still bitter?

Phish was always danceable to me...

And I dont think that funk is played out but its obviously not in the cards anymore.

Clearchannel is definately taking over , but weather Trey is selling out to them is obviously an adminstration issue.

The haters are here now , forget next spring...

I Love Trey .... his new band is Good , not amazing...

I know I come off a bit strong but like the rest of you guys , I really care about theis stuff so I take it a bit personally, im sure you understand...

Ill go to the local Zooma show in my neighborhood but im not counting down the days in eager anticipation like I would for the old TAB.

Anyways , thanks for putting up with my harsh reviews, I will be more positive in the future.

Sometimes I just need ot vent. : )
Enjoy!

VA $l!m

f-- being positive!
there's too much of that here! :wink:
we need you just like you are for balance!-bitter or not.
IMHO--i think when you called it 'nod rock' you nailed it on the head.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

cleech74

Remember, this is the first thing Trey has tapped into since the official break-up of Phish.  Times are weird in his world of music.   I like listening to the new stuff b/c I like what he has given us in the past, and I love the whole debate of old vs. new.  Not all will be happy, and if you feel like your ear is being pissed in, change the channel.  Goo-goo ka-choo!
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

sls.stormyrider

Just finished listening to 5-14. Trey's playing is great. He is clearly the front man - there are no other soloists. Some good jams. The rhythm section is lacking - the band doesn't make you want to get up and dance. The contrast is striking when Mike comes out - acoustic with BOTT and Waste - encore has a killer Wolfman's. I agree that TAB with horns was a better band but I will keep my eyes, ears, and mind open for the future.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

susep

I've heard funk from this tour in jams coming out of Circles, Push On and others.  Its a different kind of funk, varying tempo with easy transitions into solos.  Circles has great slow, funky groove potential.  Certainly most of the jams I've heard sound better then the Phish 20th. anniv. run, and April and most of Aug.'04.