News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Have you heard about...? (Politics edition)

Started by VDB, November 30, 2010, 10:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDB

If the objective was to highlight the irrational, literally violent reaction someone might have to the drawing of a cartoon, then I'd say the event was a raging success. It's similar to the poking of a hornet's nest in that the outcomes are fairly predictable. It's dissimilar in that you can't fault a hornet for acting like a hornet.
Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

Can I just point out the amount of times Jesus Christ is mocked in public forums, whether that may be images or complete blasphemy. You don't see anyone showing up guns a blazing. I'm not condoning the idea behind this event, I think people need to find better hobbies or just grow the fuck up. But I can't imagine the same type of condemnation would be garnered towards an event centered around the mockery of Christ.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

runawayjimbo

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 04, 2015, 02:54:49 PM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 04, 2015, 11:52:44 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on May 04, 2015, 10:51:19 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 04, 2015, 10:18:41 AM
I must need another cup of coffee because I coulda swore you just implied we should place limits on speech.

I certainly did not imply that.

I certainly did imply that the organizers of said event are hate inciting bigots carrying forth their hate beneath the banner of free speech and that it's a shame none of them were hurt for their cause.

Yeah, that is a real shame more people weren't hurt.

Your time away has allowed your rj decorder ring to rust.
Taking me literally reads like you've a comprehension problem.

No, it was quite clear what you were doing: being deliberately provocative to make your point. And while your sarcasm was not nearly as insensitive as intentionally taunting people's belief system, it pains me to see people (generally, not limited to your comments) inclined to focus as much/more on the fact that the group was being dicks rather than on the fact that 2 dudes were trying murder 200 yahoos who were participating in a racist lady's bad joke.

I agree with you that Pam Geller is a certifiable bigot and that her actions should be wholeheartedly condemned. I admit that, like VDB, I would get a not insignificant amount of pleasure in hearing that someone teed off on those disgusting WBCers. But I am absolute in my belief that free speech - particularly the speech of vile assholes - is essential to a free society and must be protected. The world needs assholes: they make it easier for everyone else to say "Don't be like that asshole."
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

sls.stormyrider

Yes, the shooters were assholes. No doubt about it.

but what is the purpose of having an event just to provoke those assholes, knowing that they will come with guns blazing.

not quite yelling fire in a crowed theater, but almost
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mbw

If you're gonna stir shit, don't be suprised when some gets on you.

pcr3

"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

runawayjimbo

Quote from: slslbs on May 04, 2015, 09:50:32 PM
Yes, the shooters were assholes. No doubt about it.

but what is the purpose of having an event just to provoke those assholes, knowing that they will come with guns blazing.

not quite yelling fire in a crowed theater, but almost

Maybe that's really the saddest thing to me: that we live in a world where we have actually come to fucking EXPECT that people will seek to shoot or blow up others even when (physically) unprovoked. That it's become so goddamned commonplace for people to murder others for the heinous crime of drawing that people seem to immediately legitimize the murderers actions by saying things like "well what did you think was gonna happen?"

Also, for the record, the "you can't yell fire in a crowded theater" thing is a total myth.

Quote from: mbw on May 04, 2015, 10:12:49 PM
If you're gonna stir shit, don't be suprised when some gets on you.

I wouldn't be surprised if shit got on me. I would be surprised if someone tried to murder me because they really didn't want me to play with shit.

VDB

I regret to say that this discussion has shades of "if you didn't want to get choked to death by the cops maybe you shouldn't have been selling untaxed cigarettes" (or pick your variant). Except that selling untaxed cigs isn't actually a constitutionally protected behavior.
Is this still Wombat?

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

runawayjimbo

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on May 05, 2015, 08:19:25 AM
I regret to say that this discussion has shades of "if you didn't want to get choked to death by the cops maybe you shouldn't have been selling untaxed cigarettes" (or pick your variant). Except that selling untaxed cigs isn't actually a constitutionally protected behavior.

Don't wear a short skirt unless you want to be raped.

rowjimmy

The first set of assholes do not get a pass just because more assholes showed up with guns.

Undermind

Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

VDB

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 05, 2015, 09:02:41 AM
The first set of assholes do not get a pass just because more assholes showed up with guns.

I don't think anyone's giving them a pass. Just pointing out that it's possible to condemn both and necessary to condemn the gunmen more than the cartoonists.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 05, 2015, 08:40:52 AM

Did you guys just equate the behavior of our police departments to islamic terrorists and rapists?  Weird.

phil

Quote from: mbw on May 05, 2015, 09:41:29 AM
Quote from: runawayjimbo on May 05, 2015, 08:40:52 AM

Did you guys just equate the behavior of our police departments to islamic terrorists and rapists?  Weird.

Our police departments? You mean the armed thugs who shoot children?
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?