News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP George Herbert Walker Bush

Started by pcr3, December 01, 2018, 02:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pcr3

Opened up my phone for some reason and saw this news. I was drawn to see tv coverage of Bush, and I feel it is a great loss. I feel like I learned the word benign by thinking of this man (at the time I would learn that type of word). I also feel a certain amount of guilt by probably most remembering him via Dana Carvey's impersonations on SNL. One of note...

"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

alcoholandcoffeebeans

came through my alerts while working at the bar from USA today.

era's are ending, big time... let's hope ours gets better.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

mbw

Was just cranking my favorite song of his on my commute home yesterday.

mattstick

Media next 48 hours: Hey let's all gloss over the war mongering in favor of 90s nostalgia! Cool!

Hicks

One of the worst things about Trump, and to a lesser extent his idiot son, is that they make a guy like GHWB look decent in comparison. 

Make no mistake, as head of the CIA and a man deeply entwined with the Saudis and who knows what else, he was far from benign. That he could convince you that he was just shows how adept he was with propaganda and subterfuge. 

But really just being responsible for W is enough for me to feel no sorrow for his death. 

How many people suffered and died so he and his cronies (Cheney, Baker, Sununu etc.) could advance their agendas?
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

Good riddance was the first thing that came to my mind.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

G.H.W. Bush is a man of several stories.
Born into privilege, he served in the war and was properly afforded the label of war hero. He very nearly gave his life for our country back then and that is commendable. After the war, he rose to power and is both fairly praised and vilified for his work. Oh, wait... I'm not sure why he was praised. Anyone who runs the CIA has his share of blood on his hands. As president, he ushered out the Cold War and in the era of blood for oil.

His sons are a couple of nightmares.

He was beloved by his family and many who knew him but that won't lead me to mourn the man.

ETA:
This from Clinton emphasizes his merits and I think belongs here-
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/bill-clinton-george-hw-bushs-oval-office-note-to-me-revealed-the-heart-of-who-he-was/2018/12/01/e32966de-f56e-11e8-80d0-f7e1948d55f4_story.html

PIE-GUY

I'll say one nice thing.... at least he could take a fucking joke. He even invited Dana Carvey to the White House to do his impression. Trump just lashes out. No sense of humor at all.

Otherwise, yeah. The bush family has not been good for this country no matter how you slice it.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul