News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

'The Hobbit'

Started by mistercharlie, October 17, 2010, 08:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprobeck

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 21, 2010, 02:16:55 PM
Quote from: sprobeck on October 21, 2010, 12:38:29 PM
I liked the Gobblins songs the best!!  :rawk:

That song's rawesome!

Yeah they have two that are really great. One in the cave and the other after the party as "escaped." The posted clips cuts the second one which is a shame.  Not a huge deal though. It's still there!! Gotta love any tune that begins with a wolf howl!!
fresh back from the mental institution and FEELING FINE!!!!!!!!

rowjimmy

Quote from: khalpin on October 21, 2010, 01:12:38 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 20, 2010, 12:03:10 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 20, 2010, 11:44:41 AM
It's much more of a "kid's book" than the LOTR trilogy, but still a great read.

True. Having read it a bunch of times, I told the story to my daughter as a series of bedtime stories last year...
I was planning on doing that myself.  How old is(was) your daughter?  And did it keep her interest?

Not sure... she was 6 or nearly 6 at the time... It definitely held her interest but that's largely due to my awesome storytelling skills and my glossing over the lesser details. She remembers it reasonably well and, when she saw the Rankin/Bass cartoon she knew The Hobbit as that story Daddy told her.

twatts

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 21, 2010, 08:31:53 PM

True. Having read it a bunch of times, I told the story to my daughter as a series of bedtime stories last year...
I was planning on doing that myself.  How old is(was) your daughter?  And did it keep her interest?

Not sure... she was 6 or nearly 6 at the time... It definitely held her interest but that's largely due to my awesome storytelling skills and my glossing over the lesser details. She remembers it reasonably well and, when she saw the Rankin/Bass cartoon she knew The Hobbit as that story Daddy told her.

I can't wait until Cody is old enough to enjoy Fantasy like I did...  That's a very good idea to read the Hobbit as a "serial"...  Especially with all the songs!

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

rowjimmy

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on October 21, 2010, 11:41:22 PM

I can't wait until Cody is old enough to enjoy Fantasy like I did...  That's a very good idea to read the Hobbit as a "serial"...  Especially with all the songs!

Terry

It worked pretty well but, I didn't read it. I recited the story from memory. This means that the songs were left out of that telling. I had thought that, if I do it again, I might pull out the book and sing the songs.
Or maybe I'll open my sealed copy of this:

http://goo.gl/8VNA

rowjimmy

btw... they have announced some more casting and confirmed that Martin Freeman will play Bilbo!

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/10/22/the-hobbit-first-casting-announced/

The rest are people you may not have heard of. I've seen the guy playing Thorin in Robin Hood (the bbc version of late) and some of you may have seen the guy playing Dwalin in 24.

Either way, shooting begins in February...

Psyched.

khalpin

Then it would no longer be a collectible.  NOOOO!!!!

ph92

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 22, 2010, 07:48:23 AM
Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on October 21, 2010, 11:41:22 PM

Terry

It worked pretty well but, I didn't read it. I recited the story from memory. This means that the songs were left out of that telling. I had thought that, if I do it again, I might pull out the book and sing the songs.
Or maybe I'll open my sealed copy of this:

http://goo.gl/8VNA
my dad has that album tucked away somewhere(vinyl of course), i remember we played it during xmas when i was like 10

o wait just playin, my dad has the one where its only songs, no poems.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

willsteele

That dude is perfect for Bilbo.

Wonder who is up for Beorn.  Or will there be a Beorn?
I'm the one who's gonna have to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

rowjimmy

Quote from: willsteele on October 22, 2010, 09:38:53 AM

If there were anything that could be cut out... It would be Beorn. But I hope not.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 22, 2010, 11:25:23 AM

If there were anything that could be cut out... It would be Beorn. But I hope not.

He was cut out of the Rankin/Bass cartoon, but I'm betting Peter Jackson will have him in the movie, he payed lots of attention to the LOTR books.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 22, 2010, 02:47:04 PM

He was cut out of the Rankin/Bass cartoon, but I'm betting Peter Jackson will have him in the movie, he payed lots of attention to the LOTR books.

*cough* Tom Bombadill *cough*
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

qop24

Quote from: Hicks on October 22, 2010, 02:49:09 PM

wasn't he in an extended version or am i totally making that up
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on June 14, 2011, 11:26:55 PM
Trey actually is totally inspired with ideas up the ass

Quote from: kellerb on July 06, 2011, 07:16:17 PM
When you're on droogz you don't remember which eye's supposed to be lazy

mistercharlie

Shit! I forgot about him.  :oops:

And he was pretty important in the books. So maybe Beorn won't be in the movie.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Quote from: qop24 on October 22, 2010, 02:50:45 PM

wasn't he in an extended version or am i totally making that up

Nope, you made it up.

rowjimmy

This.