News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

iPod n00b question

Started by khalpin, January 17, 2013, 06:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

I just got a used iPod 3rd generation as it's compatible with my new car stereo.  All I want to do is to plug it into my computer and copy shows from my Phish mp3 hard drive onto the iPod. 

There doesn't seem to be a "music" folder on the iPod when I navigate to the iPod's drive in Windows Explorer.  Only a "Recordings" folder (and Calendars, Contacts & Notes).  I've tried dragging tracks to the root folder and to the Recordings folder, but when I unplug the iPod, it says there is no music on it.  Am I just an idiot?  Or is this even going to work for me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Augustus

Try making a playlist in iTunes.
File > New > Playlist

Add the shows to the playlist.
Go to "your iPod" in the left-hand column.
Sync playlist.

khalpin

Thanks, man.  That looks like it did the trick. 

Hicks

Personally I manually manage all of my music so I never sync my ipod.

If you do it that way you can just drag music from your itunes library into the ipod icon and it will show up there.

If your music is already in itunes that will be quicker. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Does anyone know how to get an Ipod shuffle to play 'gaplessly'? I used to use my ipod shuffle all the time for phish shows and it would flow seamlessly from one song to the next. I recently updated Itunes to the newest version when I had to clear out and reboot my laptop and now the Gapless Playback option is gone and the ipod forces a gap between every song, thus ruining the segues.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

mistercharlie

Quote from: mehead on September 14, 2015, 09:10:22 AM
what the hell is an ipod?

It's kinda like a phone, but it doesn't take pictures or make calls.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mopper_smurf

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 14, 2015, 09:44:07 AM

:-D

I retired my MP3 thingy many moons ago and use my phone as a portable device instead. May I suggest you do the same?
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mattstick

I still rock a few iPods.  Got a 160GB one for the car, a 16GB for gym/running. Sweaty iPhones aren't cool.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mopper_smurf on September 14, 2015, 10:02:06 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on September 14, 2015, 09:44:07 AM

:-D

I retired my MP3 thingy many moons ago and use my phone as a portable device instead. May I suggest you do the same?

Sadly, I don't have a smart phone. I have a phone that I pay around $50 a year for and it doesn't do anything but call and text.

mistercharlie

Quote from: mattstick on September 14, 2015, 10:50:02 AM

I still rock a few iPods.  Got a 160GB one for the car, a 16GB for gym/running. Sweaty iPhones aren't cool.

Are you able to set gapless playback?

mattstick

My iPod Classic does gapless playback on headphones but puts a little blip when it's connected through my car system.
My iPod Nano also does gapless.

Maybe make sure that crossfade tracks is turned off?

mistercharlie

Quote from: mattstick on September 14, 2015, 01:26:21 PM

My iPod Classic does gapless playback on headphones but puts a little blip when it's connected through my car system.
My iPod Nano also does gapless.

Maybe make sure that crossfade tracks is turned off?

It's turned off. I've never turned it on, but it seems like it might sort of solve the problem by crossfading the songs.

edit: crossfade didn't fix it either. Maybe it's time I get a newer old ipod.

mistercharlie

I found my wifes old 3rd gen 2GB Ipod and it plays gaplessly. The Battery is shot and will only hold about an hours worth of charge, but I've got a portable re-charger that I can plug into it to make it work in the car, so my problem is temporarily fixed.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: mistercharlie on September 15, 2015, 08:01:22 AM
I found my wifes old 3rd gen 2GB Ipod and it plays gaplessly. The Battery is shot and will only hold about an hours worth of charge, but I've got a portable re-charger that I can plug into it to make it work in the car, so my problem is temporarily fixed.

Nice. I be there are tons of dirt cheap old iPods floating around.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy