News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mac Tablet!!! ~ iPad Thread

Started by rowjimmy, July 28, 2009, 12:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 01:43:22 PM
i don't think apple worries too much about competitors

That's a silly statement given their ongoing mac/pc ad campaign don't you think?

jedifunk

not at all... apple isnt concerned with gaining market share, they don't care what MS does IMO.

now maybe in markets that they are the kings in they might care more (cellphone, music)

but overall i think apple does a good job of knowing what they do and doing it better than anyone
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

I think you are overestimating their aloofness.

It would be unwise and likely to send them back into the wilderness that was the Jobs-free years to ignore the competition.

Which is why I don't think that they are doing that.
Google is pushing closer and closer to Apple's turf.

jedifunk

let me rephrase that... i know apple pays attention to the competition, but i think they do a great job of doing their own thing.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Alumni

Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 02:10:11 PM
not at all... apple isnt concerned with gaining market share, they don't care what MS does IMO.

now maybe in markets that they are the kings in they might care more (cellphone, music)

but overall i think apple does a good job of knowing what they do and doing it better than anyone

That's just it. I think Jobs & co see the new tablet (if it exists) as a new market that they can "win." I think they see it more along the lines of the iPod and iPhone than the MBP. $.02
Cause I got a degree

rowjimmy

Quote from: jedifunk on December 29, 2009, 02:25:36 PM
let me rephrase that... i know apple pays attention to the competition, but i think they do a great job of doing their own thing.

They do.

My point is that "their own thing" is seeing greater competition.

mattstick

So will this thing have Flash Memory? 16GB?
Optical drive?

mattstick

I also think that no matter how hard they try on the hardware side, Google and Windows will always fall years behind of Apple.

rowjimmy

My prediction:

Flash or SSHdd
Card slot
No optical drive
wifi
bluetooth
USB?

jedifunk

i agree with RJ on the specs... no optical drive.

and while they may see more competition, i don't think it affects how they decide to do business.  at least as far as what products to release and when.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

UncleEbinezer

I think this will be rather successful product.  The consumers are becoming more and more interested in touch screens and gadgetry.  Iphone, Droid, new touch screen PC's entering the consumer market place, etc.

I see it as a larger itouch.  If it lands in the $500 mark, I'd be on that train.  A Bluetooth keyboard would make this a sweet device around the house.  Recipes, surfing the interweb, etc.  I think a tablet from Apple sounds like a sweet idea.
Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D

mattstick

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/30/rumor-mill-tablet-to-be-large-scale-iphone/

Google China's former head has posted what appears to be insider details about the (possibly) upcoming Apple tablet device. According to Gadget Mix, Kaifu Lee blogs that "an informed friend" told him the Apple tablet looks like a larger scale iPhone with "an awesome UI packed in a beautiful 10.1-inch screen."

Gadget Mix's Tommy Lawson writes that Kaifu Lee's Chinese-language post (Google Translate version) suggests that the tablet will provide eBook functionality, a virtual keyboard, and a built-in webcam, with 10 million units to be produced in the first year of distribution. He adds that Lee's ongoing relationship with Taiwan's Foxconn Technology Group lends weight to his reliability as a source on the subject.

Although this development adds no new features into the tablet rumor mill, it's comforting to know that the possibly mythical tablet is getting more and more plausible by the day.

rowjimmy

jephrey

heard more rumors on the specs too.  Like it'll be an iPhone on steroids...  Lots of multitouch.  This should be fun.  I'm more and more sucked in every day.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

UncleEbinezer

Quote from: bvaz
if you ever gacve me free beer, I'd bankrupt you  :-D