News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

HELP: BT client questions

Started by jedifunk, December 02, 2004, 12:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

Can anyone help me understand how to read the info from the BT client.

I understand how firewalls work (and I've openned my ports so I'm go to go), but am wondering about how I'm getting info from peers and seeders.

For instance, at the moment I'm DLing the 10-5-95 show.  There are currently 50 peers also getting this show.  I'm only DLing at a rate of 4 - 8 KB/sec, but upping at over 15 KB/sec.  Looking at the peer list many are grey out and at 0KB/sec.  I'm assuming many of these are people behind firewalls that I can't communicate with, but according to bt.etree.org there are 5 seeders, 2 of which are behind firewalls.  Looking again at my peer list, I'm not connecting with any of these seeders, why is this?

Now at the moment, I am interested in info from all 50 peers, but am only getting info from 4 of these 50, again at a rate of approx. 6KB/sec.  And now I'm Upping at over 20KB/sec.

Also, I joined the party late.  I've only just started DLing this, while this show has been available since this afternoon (long enough for at least 3 people to finish DLing).  So my logic would tell me that I should be able to DL faster since there are more people seeding the full show.  Is this incorrect logic?

I tried to read thru the info from the BT website, but it doesn't really tell me what I'm looking for.  Also what do the "l" and "r" symbols next to peoples IP address mean?

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just curious as to how this really works (and a little frustrated at the slow DL rates).

Glad to be getting shows but frustrated at the same time.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

guyforget

Heh - I really dont know that much about the protocol itself.  And I dont use the same client as you, so I dont really see all of that information...
-AD_

jephrey

It sounds like azureus...  I also don't know what the l and r means, (democrat or republican?).  But this is just what happens.  Even those who have it completed and are seeding may not have a slot for you or are uploading at a very slow rate...  With that many peers, it takes a while for info, even from 5 seeds, to get to the 50 others.  I have had shows with 2-3 peers go faster than ones with many.  Just give it time.  The seeds don't drop off that quickly.  Usually, nice people who see that they're uploading to someone will not take down the torrent.  Just get a few under your belt and you'll have a better idea.  It also wouldn't be bad to get like 3 going at once just to see how they're handled.  It's pretty cool.

-Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.