News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

8/31 - Dick's Sporting Goods Park - Denver, Co - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by PIE-GUY, September 01, 2013, 01:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Itsnotanexperience

This CDT is truly an amazing jam - one of my favorite jams they've ever played.   The only change I would make is to trim the ending by about two minutes, otherwise I think it's out-fucking-standing.   I really disliked most of the summer tour for many reasons, but this version and the jamming sounds authoritative.   Fish really shines but even Trey brings the right mix of restraint and attack.   Page and Mike are money throughout.

I will take this and the Tahoe Tweezer with more frequency, please.  Size, it seems, actually usually does matter.  More 20+ min jams please.   Are there any bad 20+ min jams in 3.0?

I think not.

sophist

Quote from: Itsnotanexperience on September 13, 2013, 12:09:25 AM
This CDT is truly an amazing jam - one of my favorite jams they've ever played.   The only change I would make is to trim the ending by about two minutes, otherwise I think it's out-fucking-standing.   I really disliked most of the summer tour for many reasons, but this version and the jamming sounds authoritative.   Fish really shines but even Trey brings the right mix of restraint and attack.   Page and Mike are money throughout.

I will take this and the Tahoe Tweezer with more frequency, please.  Size, it seems, actually usually does matter.  More 20+ min jams please.   Are there any bad 20+ min jams in 3.0?

I think not.
That Albany '09 Ghost and 7 Below is a steaming pile of shit.
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: sophist on September 13, 2013, 08:22:45 AM

I think not.

Fair enough - and agreed.

sophist

sophist - the herpes sore of 3.0 hating, just when you think an outbreak is out of the question - BOOM. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VDB

I think not.

I wasn't going to use the term "steaming pile of shit" but I was going to point out the same thing. It's largely a sprawling blend of meandering and wankage and does little for me.

Can't wait for Gumbo to chime in on this one.
Is this still Wombat?

Lifeboy

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 13, 2013, 02:39:28 PM

I think not.

I wasn't going to use the term "steaming pile of shit" but I was going to point out the same thing. It's largely a sprawling blend of meandering and wankage and does little for me.

LOL, I almost responded with "paging Gumbo"

But I agree, ppl creamed their jeans over that Ghost and 7 Below, only because they were 20+ minutes... but they were flat-out awful. I admit, I was even blinded by the awfulness bc of the timings, but when it wore off, I quickly realized that both jams were just awful.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: Lifeboy on September 15, 2013, 08:16:28 PM
Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 13, 2013, 02:39:28 PM

I think not.

LOL, I almost responded with "paging Gumbo"

But I agree, ppl creamed their jeans over that Ghost and 7 Below, only because they were 20+ minutes... but they were flat-out awful. I admit, I was even blinded by the awfulness bc of the timings, but when it wore off, I quickly realized that both jams were just awful.

All that said and my bold declarations notwithstanding, I still find the CDT to be fucking sick and I'm somewhat confused more people don't enjoy it.   The interplay between everyone is excellent;  Trey actually sounds like he's doing what he wants without much tentative play and fish is ridiculous.    There's some gorgeous melodies in there and some serious, GOOD, permagroove work.   All in all - really great jam, and not just for 3.0.   I find it superior to Dick's '12 and at least on par with the 2010 super version.

Marmar

Personally......I find the transition from Chalkdust > Jam at around the 9-10 minute mark when Fish shifts into gear to be the definition of what Phish was (is) all about.....

No BS, just shift into space gear and bounce among galaxies.

It seems as if they are almost trying to really "find" themselves again from time to time. I kinda get why they were so anti-20+ for so long now after hearing the evolution of the Jam in 3.0 Phish. They couldn't hook up before.....now they seem at least a little more willing to have those musical conversations with each other. Hopefully, like riding a bike, it will continue to gradually come back to them and we can coin that leap as just :phish:

The whale still needs to get put back in captivity......just sayin......

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: Marmar on September 16, 2013, 10:59:37 AM
Personally......I find the transition from Chalkdust > Jam at around the 9-10 minute mark when Fish shifts into gear to be the definition of what Phish was (is) all about.....

No BS, just shift into space gear and bounce among galaxies.

It seems as if they are almost trying to really "find" themselves again from time to time. I kinda get why they were so anti-20+ for so long now after hearing the evolution of the Jam in 3.0 Phish. They couldn't hook up before.....now they seem at least a little more willing to have those musical conversations with each other. Hopefully, like riding a bike, it will continue to gradually come back to them and we can coin that leap as just :phish:

The whale still needs to get put back in captivity......just sayin......

Agreed, totally.

All in all, I realized while I was listening to this version that they sound fucking tight and bold and worthy of our/my time again in their improv and that it had me moving for over 20 minutes.    I hate the longass ending as it's so pathetically long, but I also recognize that's a live show staple of sorts and it does little to take away from my overall satisfaction of the entire jam.   

VDB

I enjoyed the CDT on first listen but I haven't revisited since. Keep meaning to.

INAE, what do you mean by "2010 super version"?
Is this still Wombat?

Hicks

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 16, 2013, 12:45:56 PM
I enjoyed the CDT on first listen but I haven't revisited since. Keep meaning to.

6-25-10
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: Hicks on September 16, 2013, 12:56:40 PM

6-25-10

But of course. That one was a nice unexpected treat.
Is this still Wombat?

Marmar

EVERY...and I mean EVERY worthy jam they have ever played has that total group gear shift at one point in the song that takes it to the next level of type II and beyond.

I dare you to find one that doesn't have one. My ears are trained on it at every show....to listen for that group shift.....cuz when it happens, BLISS.

Itsnotanexperience

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on September 16, 2013, 01:02:09 PM
Quote from: Hicks on September 16, 2013, 12:56:40 PM

6-25-10

But of course. That one was a nice unexpected treat.

Sorry - I can never think of the date for that one.