News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

06/18 - TWC Music Pavilion - Raleigh, NC - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by Undermind, June 18, 2011, 11:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Undermind

06/18/2011
Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion - Raleigh, NC (Walnut Creek)
Soundcheck: Babylon Baby, Blues Jam

Set I:
Cars Trucks Buses, Peaches en Regalia, AC/DC Bag, Guyute, Possum, Halley's Comet ~>46 Days, Divided Sky, The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, Run Like an Antelope

Set II:
Twist, Rift, Prince Caspian> Esther, Been Caught Stealing@, Piper> My Friend My Friend> Kill Devil Falls, Split Open and Melt> Golgi Apparatus, First Tube

Encore:
Good Times Bad Times

@ Last Time Played 12/28/98 (298 Shows)
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

mehead

at work so no streamage for me....2nd set looks interesting to say the least

how was it thru the sharts?
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Multibeast12

barnesy305

roggae

Who sang been caught and what is that effect they used? The perry ferrel filter?
Clearly it's all awful.

barnesy305

roggae

Clearly it's all awful.

Declan

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2005, 10:00:20 AM

I've been racking my brains, running through my record collection in my mind to tell you what records are my secret shame and I've decided i have none. I love everything I own and am proud of it. Music should bring joy, not guilt.

postjack

Quote from: Undermind on June 18, 2011, 11:09:21 PM
06/18/2011
Time Warner Cable Music Pavilion - Raleigh, NC (Walnut Creek)
Soundcheck: Babylon Baby, Blues Jam

Set I:
Cars Trucks Buses, Peaches en Regalia, AC/DC Bag, Guyute, Possum, Halley's Comet ~>46 Days, Divided Sky, The Ballad Of Curtis Loew, Run Like an Antelope

Set II:
Twist, Rift, Prince Caspian> Esther, Been Caught Stealing@, Piper> My Friend My Friend> Kill Devil Falls, Split Open and Melt> Golgi Apparatus, First Tube

Encore:
Good Times Bad Times

@ Last Time Played 12/28/98 (298 Shows)

CTB was a welcome opener, its not summer tour unless you get a CTB while the sun is still out. Peaches was totally unexpected and a nice treat. I could be wrong, but I think Trey isn't playing the opening notes correctly, strumming chords instead of actually playing the crazy notes. But he hit the peak well (3.0! peakz). Halley's had a little jam then a solid segue into 46 Days, which rocked hard and really whipped the crowd up. I went to the bathroom during Divided Sky. Curtis Lowe was welcome, standard 'Lope to close it out.

Now set II was special. After Charlotte, I'm wondering what the hell Phish would do tonight to make the show worth a damn. Charlotte was such a rock show, so many bust outs, such high energy. The answer to my question once again reminded me of why I love Phish, because they do have such a range, and they do have the ability to make any given show special in a completely different way. This set was characterized by a really, really outstanding SOAM jam. Murky, dark, down in the fracking muck. The most thrilling part of the jam for me was this one moment when Mike slowly stopped playing, Fish started playing the "wrap up" drum beats, and you could tell the whole band was waiting for Trey to return to the SOAM theme or even start a new song. Instead Trey started riffing, and brought the jam in a new direction! :banana: I was captivated and thrilled. SOAM also brought some of the best CK5 work in recent memory. Eventually they did return back to the SOAM theme, and it was solid and celebratory and righteous. If you only listen to one song from the show, listen to the SOAM.

Twist was slow and good, Rift was messy. The jam out of Prince Caspian was actually pretty cool and worth checking out. Esther is neat and all but as a song it doesn't really grip me. Definitely fit the weird swampy dark feel of the set though. First Tube was super high energy, had the whole place jumping, as was GTBT.

Some dude next to me in the pav puked everywhere. Awesome.

All in all I feel super lucky to have caught both Charlotte and Raleigh. Since Charlotte was the tour closer type show, characterized by bust outs and large doses of Phish silliness, I am really curious to see what Portsmouth will bring. I'm thinking it will be more like a Charlottesville Fall 09 type of tour closer, and that is fine with me, since they will open SBIX with Harpua.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

postjack

On a side note, best walk out house music I've ever heard came in the form of "Build Me Up Buttercup". Crowd is walking out and singing the song, with some singing the main lines, with others singing the responses ("why do you build me up" "build me up!" "buttercup baby just to let me down" "let me down!") with everyone joining in the big "i need you! i need you! more then anyone darlin..." etc. a special moment of communal doowop rapture.
Quote from: phil on July 06, 2011, 07:09:31 PMI hate every band except phish.
Quote from: sophist on April 29, 2011, 04:31:54 PM::cancels summer Phish show plans to achieve psychedelic warrior status::

aphineday

Quote from: postjack on June 19, 2011, 02:07:52 AM
On a side note, best walk out house music I've ever heard came in the form of "Build Me Up Buttercup". Crowd is walking out and singing the song, with some singing the main lines, with others singing the responses ("why do you build me up" "build me up!" "buttercup baby just to let me down" "let me down!") with everyone joining in the big "i need you! i need you! more then anyone darlin..." etc. a special moment of communal doowop rapture.
Sweet, and thanks for the review man, sounds pretty well rounded. Pumped to hear the SOAM.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

sophist

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!