News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by converse29, December 12, 2006, 02:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

^ good read.

Indeed some crazy stories in there.

McGrupp

Been really digging Ryan Holiday's stuff lately. Got turned on to him via Tim Ferriss' podcast. Ryan is all about stoic philosophy. His writing is great, filled with lots of historical anecdotes. These books have really helped me to think about the way I live differently.

The Obstacle Is The Way

Ego Is The Enemy

Definitely recommend checking these out if you're into philosophy, history, or self-improvement type stuff.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

PIE-GUY

Quote from: VDB on November 30, 2016, 07:00:17 PM
Recently finished Keef's autobiography:

Needless to say, there are some great stories in here. But what I took away the most was what a dedicated and talented artist he really is. And what a phenomenon the Stones were/are.

Guitarists might also appreciate those moments where he talks about how some of his more iconic riffs and guitar bits were developed. Apparently he messed around with a lot of different tuning and whatnot based on tips and tricks derived from how some of the old bluesmen did things. As I was reading these passages, it made me wonder how that might have affected Trey in trying to pull off Exile on Main Street. Then I went back and rewatched the set and, sure enough, Trey is switching guitars quite often between songs.

Read this when it first came out. Great stories. Also remember reading a review of it that ended with the line, "spoiler alert: he survives!"

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PGLHAH on December 03, 2016, 11:35:09 AM

Needless to say, there are some great stories in here. But what I took away the most was what a dedicated and talented artist he really is. And what a phenomenon the Stones were/are.

Guitarists might also appreciate those moments where he talks about how some of his more iconic riffs and guitar bits were developed. Apparently he messed around with a lot of different tuning and whatnot based on tips and tricks derived from how some of the old bluesmen did things. As I was reading these passages, it made me wonder how that might have affected Trey in trying to pull off Exile on Main Street. Then I went back and rewatched the set and, sure enough, Trey is switching guitars quite often between songs.

Read this when it first came out. Great stories. Also remember reading a review of it that ended with the line, "spoiler alert: he survives!"

Same, totally loved every minute of this read.
I've ripped on Keith's talent and style in the past but this really opened my eyes to how tuned in he was with the music and what he was trying to create.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on December 03, 2016, 05:41:16 PM
Quote from: PGLHAH on December 03, 2016, 11:35:09 AM

Same, totally loved every minute of this read.
I've ripped on Keith's talent and style in the past but this really opened my eyes to how tuned in he was with the music and what he was trying to create.
agree, great book
I see his style as more to create a feeling or a groove than to do a great solo. He explains it well, and was one of the best at that.

In an interview somewhere, Trey said that he learned a lot from both Keith and Mick Taylor when learning Exile, especially the open tunings (from Keith)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Quote from: slslbs on December 06, 2016, 03:44:50 PM
In an interview somewhere, Trey said that he learned a lot from both Keith and Mick Taylor when learning Exile, especially the open tunings (from Keith)

Do you mean learned directly, to prep for the show, or just "learned from them" indirectly by learning the material?
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

indirectly, studying the album to prep for the show
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

Recently finished:

If you're not familiar with this series (there's also an edition for A Live One), these are little books that talk about classic albums and the artists who made them. Pretty educational -- I've enjoyed Bitches Brew for years but knew little about its production. And more than just being about the album itself, the author here also spends a considerable amount of time talking about Miles and jazz in general, which helps to establish the context around and leading up to the creation and release of Bitches Brew.
Is this still Wombat?

jam>

Quote from: rowjimmy on March 29, 2016, 08:42:53 AM

Got the hardcopy last week and I'm about to finish it. Dude covers so much ground- some very familiar, some completely foreign to me- it's amazing.
I'm really enjoying the book and am looking forward to interviewing him for HFPod.

Finally reading this now and I'm hooked. It's required reading in my opinion.

mattstick

Quote from: VDB on January 17, 2017, 03:09:13 PM
Recently finished:

If you're not familiar with this series (there's also an edition for A Live One), these are little books that talk about classic albums and the artists who made them. Pretty educational -- I've enjoyed Bitches Brew for years but knew little about its production. And more than just being about the album itself, the author here also spends a considerable amount of time talking about Miles and jazz in general, which helps to establish the context around and leading up to the creation and release of Bitches Brew.

If you dug that you should dive into this one:

Listen to This Miles Davis and Bitches Brew
by Victor Svorinich

https://www.amazon.ca/Listen-This-Miles-Davis-Bitches/dp/1628461942

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/listen-to-thismiles-davis-and-bitches-brew-miles-davis-by-ian-patterson.php

jam>

Guyute

Throwing it back, actually first time reading this:
Good decisions come from experience;
Experience comes from bad decisions.

About to open a bottle of Macallan.  There's my foreign policy; I support Scotland.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

^^ I love that book.

Quote from: jam> on January 19, 2017, 09:02:22 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on March 29, 2016, 08:42:53 AM

Got the hardcopy last week and I'm about to finish it. Dude covers so much ground- some very familiar, some completely foreign to me- it's amazing.
I'm really enjoying the book and am looking forward to interviewing him for HFPod.

Finally reading this now and I'm hooked. It's required reading in my opinion.

gonna start this in the next few days.... anyone wanna throw anything else on this subject matter out there for me to read?
I can always use new books.  :-D
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

mattstick

I quit reading Heads sometime around '86 in his chronological timeline. Maybe I will jump back in this weekend.