News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R15/W01: 12-07-1995 Niagara Falls Convention Center, Niagara Falls, NY

Started by Augustus, April 02, 2012, 06:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runawayjimbo

12-07-1995
Niagara Falls Convention Center
Niagara Falls, NY

I

Old Home Place - It's a fine warmup tune and it's played well enough but it just doesn't grab me the way an opener should.

The Curtain - Now this is how you get me moving. A couple of very minor slip ups but overall a pretty solid version with tons of energy. And as much as I love me some With, I do love the slam-right-into-the-next-song approach they were putting up in '95. Right into...

AC/DC Bag - Keeping the energy going. Trey's having some fun with his solo and then ~6:45 he starts that flurry of notes while Fish beats the shit out of his kit. They build some nice tension until they blow that shit up ~7:25. Fiery version.

Demand - That's weird, in my other source Trey says something like "This is for that hipster kid in the brand new turquoise kicks who shits on everything we do in the lots. He's been screaming for this all tour."

Rift - Fish is all over this right out of the gates. Trey's first lead is relatively tame but then Leo starts flying over the keys so Trey gives his second offering a little more pep. 5 songs in and you can tell the boys mean business.

Slave - I dig early Slaves. This one's fairly typical for '95 which is to say it's awesome - great soaring jam that's danceable and introspective at the same time. Even a couple of mildly sour notes from Trey aren't enough to knock me off the cloud I'm on. Alright, let's go grab a burrito. Wait, what? The show's not over? Fuck me.

Guyute - There was a time when I really liked Guyute, but somewhere along the way it just started to annoy me. Trey has a couple of bumpy moments ~4:20 and ~5:10 but they keep it together and end it well enough. Here's hoping they bring some heat after the first breather.

Bouncing - Ugh. I don't hate Bouncing on principle, but that's a rough spot for me following the pig. If only there was something to get this set back on track...

Possum - BOOM! I just had to drop everything I was doing and turn it up. They bring it right out of the gates with a high energy and playful intro and remind me why I liked this song in the first place. They start the clinic in tension building around 6:45. Mike gets all active around 8:15 and they push it deeper and then hit a couple of nice mini-peaks ~8:45 and again ~9:40. Holy shit this just keeps going. They are so locked in, bobbing and weaving in unison and when it's time to hit the big peaks ~10:30 and again ~11:55 everyone knows it. A+ version.

Hello My Baby - Fun cap to a very solid set

II

Split Open and Melt - Now that's how you start a set! Super tight composed sections and they waste no time diving into the darkness 5 mins in. In a Gadda Da Vida themed leads from Trey starts pretty early and ~5:40 he commits to it but just for a couple quotes and then it's back into the deep. Sweet baby Jesus that is some serious tension. Builds up to a nice peak ~15:00 and then dissolves into a kinda chunky Split theme before closing proper. I could have used a little more release, but that was still dope.

Strange Design - Love this song.

Taste - Like Guyute, this is another song that I used to enjoy that I've grown weary of (although not to the same extent as Guyute). I do like hearing the transition the song makes over the years. This one is fine, it's just kinda there and I'm happy to have heard it and glad to move on.

Reba - Holy shit, I feel like I'm on speed just listening to this thing. And even at this breakneck pace they still nail the composed sections. Nice little groove that's pretty chill even though they're all coked out. They take their time building the jam, Pop Goes the Weasel, all sorts of fun shit thrown in here. Nice peak ~10:50 and again a minute later. But they keep pushing it until they find the good shit at ~13:15. No one knows how it ends so they just let it fade out so people can find their faces.

Julius - No time to waste, they just keep the energy coming. Page starts off with some nice work and I love the little shuffle Trey adds behind him. Fish voices his approval. Pagezilla owns this shit. Solid version.

Sleepy Monkey - More fun! What'd someone throw a glowstick in Fish's mouth or something tssst tssst.

Sparkle - Another song that's usually a throwaway for me but delivers here. They start as fast as they would end today.

Mike's Song - Sickness. A little I Feel the Earth Move theme from Page as they get into the jam. Is Trey teasing something around 3 mins? Sounds very familiar, almost Spy Hunter/Peter Gunn-ish. It's '95 so of course there's more second jam which means more awesomer. Trey switchs to mini-kit and then Mike finds a sweet little line ~7:40 that I absolutely love. Trey goes back to guitar and you can hear Weekapaug creeping in. Melts seamlessly into...

Weekapaug - The segue was going smoothly enough until Fish kinda drops the ball when they make the change into Paug. Still, in keeping with the theme of the show, a tight and energy-filled Paug ensues and the kids boogie in the aisles. And then, as if they haven't given you enough already, they go into...

DDLJ - Fun way to put an exclamation point on the night.

Amazing Grace - Pfft, this was so much better when they did it without mics. Still a couple of shushers though, which is my favorite part of any acappella tune anyway.

E

Uncle Pen - I'd usually bitch about this as a solo encore but after that show, I'd have been happy if they came out, took a dump on stage, and said "Suck on that, fuckos!" A well played Pen puts a cap on a great show.

This thing has it all: super tight playing, exploratory jams, setlist variety. December '95 really was the shit. Obvious highlights for me are the Bag, Possum, Melt, Reba and the Mike's > Paug. Add to that a sick source and this thing's an easy fucking A. Thanks, Aug.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

phil

12-07-1995
Niagara Falls Convention Center
Niagara Falls, NY

I

Old Home Place - ZOMG they sing about charlottesville!!!!11!!!1!! But I do dig this tune.

The Curtain - Fun, tight, concise.

AC/DC Bag - Fun, high energy. Set the tone for the rest of the set, you can tell Trey is feeling loose

Demand - Would have been cool if I was there, on tape it's not something I feel the need to listen to more than once

Rift - well played. I like this song.

Slave -  New favorite Slave? This one is ridiculous, acrobatic, soaring, whatever you want to call it. It feels like they're taking time to really build this one up and up and up until it peaks, at which point it would probably be accurately described by something out of one of gumbo's posts

Guyute - I like these fun early versions. It feels like it gets away from them in the middle but they bring it back together nicely and finish strong.

Bouncing - I'm with jimbo about the placement. Not a bad song, not a bad version, but it is not where I saw them going after that guyute. oh well.

Possum - It makes me sad that I'll never witness a possum like this. This is what I feel like Phish is missing these days. This possum is spontaneous, yet carefully constructed. Tight and loose at the same time.

Hello My Baby - was played (sung?).

Set II review to follow
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

twatts

There is a very distinct Thriller jam during the Possum... 

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

runawayjimbo

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 04, 2012, 04:13:58 PM

Terry

Whereabouts? I've listened a couple of times since you posted this and I still don't hear it.

Caravan2001

Listened to the first set and half of the second last night.  Wow, this show rules.  I have only heard it few times previously.....sick. (btw, this isn't my actual review  :wink:)

twatts

Quote from: runawayjimbo on April 06, 2012, 12:00:23 PM

Terry

Whereabouts? I've listened a couple of times since you posted this and I still don't hear it.

gotcha...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

Superfreakie

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on April 07, 2012, 01:10:53 AM

Terry

gotcha...

Terry

ooof, that's dirtay!
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

McGrupp

Quote from: Superfreakie on April 07, 2012, 02:12:10 AM

Terry

gotcha...

Terry

ooof, that's dirtay!

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

runawayjimbo

Terry

gotcha...

Terry

Oh, I get it. You are a twat.

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Caravan2001

Great show.  Listened once last week and then again on the way up to Radiohead with the OR paug crew....

Set 1

1. The Old Home Place -  cool little warmup.  Nothing  special but that's ok too....
2. The Curtain- Excellent, highly charged and tight version.  Sweet transition into->
3. AC/DC Bag- They slam into this from Curtain and unleash a beefball of a jam.  A top version for sure.  Rivals 12/30/95 imo.
4. Demand - pretty cool.  They should bring this back.
5. Rift- great high speed version.
6. Slave To The Traffic Light- surprising placement, even more surprising playing.  This one goes deep, much deeper than one would expect for mid-first set.  The goods.
7. Guyute- very well played and I was still a fan of this song during this time.
8. Bouncing Around The Room- pre- set break bathroom time.
9. Possum- an all time version for sure.  It just does not quit.  Mucho bueno is an understatment.  Set highlight, along with Bag and Slave.  Rocking!
10. Hello My Baby- classic Fall '95!

Total Time [1:09:40]

Set 2

1. Split Open And Melt- This is sick!  Great opener and they are out for blood from the first beat!
2. Strange Design- get it out of the way I guess, but kind of a buzz kill.
3. Taste - I like the old style.  Hicks doesn't.
4. Reba- great version.  Love the way it builds and builds.  They try to cover up the gaff at the end but it doesn't really kill the version for me.
5. Julius - trying to rescue the Reba botch...more goodness, this is a good version
6. Sleepy Monkey- needed a break...
7. Sparkle- double break....
8. Mike's Song > show highlight here.  Mike just slays.  This version  takes no prisoners.
9. Weekapag Groove- This also rocks.  Also a set/show highlight.  Fall '95 at it's best
10. Amazing Grace- yep

Encore

11. Uncle Pen- a Soldier's Joy for sure....

This is a great, great show and I can imagine it was a blast to attend.  My wife said it was empty.  I have only heard it a few times, and prolly just the second set.  I loved it.  Great pick. Give this one an A-....

Pholy M. Pia

Playing catch up here.

Old Home Place - Odd choice for an opener. Sets a fun mood nonetheless, and they sound crisp.

The Curtain - Good stuff here. Very polished sounding version. Excellent vox from Page on the "babies' mouth" before the instrumental bit. Mike and Fishman are super aggressive.

AC/DC Bag - Straight into the :rawk: ! The jam starts out low and cool. Nice rhythmic tweaking for several bars before a nice swirly chaos into a sharp peak around 7minish. Noisy build to the end. Good stuff is also here.

Demand - Quirky! A little rough vocally, but otherwise a talent attack. Fishman gets octopodal on that shit.

Rift - Tight and fast.

Slave - Nice rendition, more odd placement, no complaints here.

Guyute - Never been much of a fan, but it didn't hurt to listen.

Bouncin' - I've heard this song before.

Possum - Wow, what an exercise in Possuming! Amazing delayed gratification. Very salty.

HMB - To end the set

SOAM - Good one. Very intense!

Strange Design - See Guyute

Taste - Now that I'm more familiar with the earlier versions with Fishman's intro vocals, I'm finding I prefer it in ways. At least when he sounds half decent, as he does here. Short tight playing of this one.

Reba - Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Julius - Fires it back up for some extended rawk noodling. Boogie down.

Sleeping Monkey - See Strange Design

Sparkle - See Reba

Mike's - Far out. This is a monster Mike's with some very complex layering going on toward the tail end. The mini-kit section is dope as it let's Mike, Page and Fish really get into it. Decent wrap into>

Weekapaug - This one is all over the place with the theme's that shift and flow with precision.
Also coolness with the DDLJ.

Amazing Grace - Nice

Uncle Pen - Love this one to rip any show to a close.

This show was up and down for me. The intense complexity of the playing is very practiced, and the songs I like are bizarre, mutant versions of themselves. This I like. A lot. There are just a number of songs that  are stumblers for me.
A for playing (A- vocally)
B Flow and setlist choice

"Be in your own movie." - Ken Kesey

Gumbo72203

OMG THIS SLAVE!!!!!!!!!  OMG OMG OMG.

OMG.  Holy ball sack.  In a nut.  Truck.  OMG this Slave.

I seriously just stopped reading so I could come freak about this Slave.  I'm only 5:40 into it, and this has to be THE coolest Slave jam start ever.  Holy shit. 

The groove completely dissipates.  Utter dissolvsion.  Dissolvtion?  Dissolvsen?  Dissolvsion.  So, it glides away as Trey lets a feedback note kind of ambiate, and Page taps the Rhodes, and Fish is on the ride.  BUT, then the real magic.  Fish rim shots.  Fish starts into this double-time-ish uptempo rim-shot-led beat that is just PERFECT.

Trey comes in arpeggiating a chord, as Page pads the Rhodes underneith.  This.  Is.  Fucking.  Perfect.  Holy shit.

You guys just gave me a new Slave to freak over besides 6/23/04.  OMG PAGE PIANO.  YESSS.  FUCKING ASS-HATS ON BACKWARDS!!!!
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again