News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Jimi Hendrix Thread

Started by susep, September 30, 2006, 06:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cactusfan

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 18, 2015, 11:42:07 AM
I'm sure susep's aware of this but a doc is coming out the end of the month on Hendrix and the Atlanta Pop performance - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/watch-hendrix-play-fiery-purple-haze-in-clip-from-new-doc-20150818

Cool little vid of Purple Haze included on there.

nice. this show was released on CD way back when on the Stages boxset. good stuff. contains possibly his best version of the star spangled banner.

susep

Quote from: cactusfan on August 18, 2015, 11:48:17 AM
I'm sure susep's aware of this but a doc is coming out the end of the month on Hendrix and the Atlanta Pop performance - http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/watch-hendrix-play-fiery-purple-haze-in-clip-from-new-doc-20150818

nice. this show was released on CD way back when on the Stages boxset. good stuff. contains possibly his best version of the star spangled banner.

I would take the Woodstock(which was played 46 years ago this am) or Berkeley versions any day over 'lanta.  Pretty psyched for the LP release of Jimi's 'lanta set, due out on 28Aug.  Really dig the SCM, Stone Free, Straight Ahead et al.  I too have the Stages set on disc, psyched for a more complete release although I read they left off Hey Baby because it was a poor performance.   
Personally I'd rather see the concert footage un-edited with interviews and special features as bonus highlights. 

mopper_smurf

Quote from: susep on August 18, 2015, 12:20:24 PM

I would take the Woodstock(which was played 46 years ago this am) or Berkeley versions any day over 'lanta.  Pretty psyched for the LP release of Jimi's 'lanta set, due out on 28Aug.  Really dig the SCM, Stone Free, Straight Ahead et al.  I too have the Stages set on disc, psyched for a more complete release although I read they left off Hey Baby because it was a poor performance.   
Personally I'd rather see the concert footage un-edited with interviews and special features as bonus highlights.

I concur. I love the Stages box set BW.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

cactusfan

something about the concision of the atlanta version really gets me, plus the series of notes he hits at the very end of the song leading into the transition does something to my brain i can't explain.

susep

Quote from: cactusfan on August 19, 2015, 11:54:56 AM

something about the concision of the atlanta version really gets me, plus the series of notes he hits at the very end of the song leading into the transition does something to my brain i can't explain.

nice will def check it out.  I did see a snippet of the vid while he's playing it, he looks over his shoulder to see the fireworks exploding above. 

sls.stormyrider

QuoteJimi didn't need set lists, dance steps, stage backdrops and lighting cues to connect with his audience.

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

susep

^^^nice, how is it?  will shop for a vinyl copy after work. 

mopper_smurf

Quote from: susep on August 28, 2015, 08:37:46 AM

Not bad, not great as a show. B of B-.
Sounds pretty good. Beware of an audio shift in All Along the Watchtower - they had to use the camera crew's audio for the first bit (the multitrack kicked in a bit too late).
My pre-ordered vinyl wasn't in the shop yet.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

susep

Quote from: mopper_smurf on August 28, 2015, 12:58:21 PM

Sounds pretty good. Beware of an audio shift in All Along the Watchtower - they had to use the camera crew's audio for the first bit (the multitrack kicked in a bit too late).

certainly not one of his higher tier shows for sure.

susep

Quote from: susep on August 28, 2015, 01:43:55 PM

picked up a vinyl copy, listened last night.  impressed!  nice transformation from the previous Stages version.  much better mix with 16 out of the 17 tracks played whereas Stages omitted 6 tracks.  I do like the Stages essay better, the new release has many new, great pics that are fun to look at.   
Hear My Train A Comin' is a superb version, very trippy and well played.  I wasn't a fan of this cut on Stages however with the Eddie Kramer re-mix, its reborn. 
The whole show rocks. 

mopper_smurf

Quote from: susep on August 30, 2015, 11:45:01 AM
Quote from: susep on August 28, 2015, 01:43:55 PM

picked up a vinyl copy, listened last night.  impressed!  nice transformation from the previous Stages version.  much better mix with 16 out of the 17 tracks played whereas Stages omitted 6 tracks.  I do like the Stages essay better, the new release has many new, great pics that are fun to look at.   
Hear My Train A Comin' is a superb version, very trippy and well played.  I wasn't a fan of this cut on Stages however with the Eddie Kramer re-mix, its reborn. 
The whole show rocks.

Soundwise it's a major upgrade. Eddie Kramer has amazing ears and mixing skills. Vinyl should be here tomorrow.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

mopper_smurf

45 years ago today ... RIP.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

susep

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram