News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

GDead Thread

Started by VA $l!m, August 26, 2005, 06:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gumbo72203

Quote from: rowjimmy on September 12, 2018, 09:33:10 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 12, 2018, 09:28:33 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on September 12, 2018, 07:57:15 AM
Quote from: Gumbo72203 on September 11, 2018, 11:25:27 PM
Quote from: VA $l!m on September 07, 2018, 08:09:29 PM
yeah, it keeps rollin... finished 3-31-73 today.
i mean, He's gone>truckin>Otherone>spanish jam>RIDER...seriously.
and now im in the middle of 4-2,,, HC Sunshine>space> bobby Mcgee>WRSpre>eyes >China..... sheesh.

this tour feels alot like Phish97 when they dropped premade lists.  Theres just so much open ended exploration.
MOre than once ive checked deadbase when i  heard a segue that seemed uncommon and it was like the only time they ever did those songs back to back.

Yo what?  I knew about 4/2/73 with that wild HCS but I don't think I've listened to that 3/31/73 show before....   there was one other time I think Rider appeared in a goofy spot and I want to say it was Fall '72 but I'm not sure, and I want to say it came out of Dark Star or something big like that.  Fuck, that's going to bother me now...

You need a Deadbase, friend.
Questions like this are quickly answered.

The website was taken down years ago AFAIK and yeah, I need a physical copy haha.  I didn't think they made them anymore though.

Books are your friend.

Oh I love books.  Dude, make sure you check out that 9/24 sequence.  The jam into China Cat is SO dancey and groovey.  Phil has a bassline I might steal for a song, it's just so infection haha.  He lays on one note and just plays this incredibly bouncy, dancey rhythm. Amazing. 

Early 70's dancey Type 2 Dead is the fucking best

EDIT:   Oh man, that transition was ridiculous.  It's nearly unnoticeable.  As smooth as China is into Rider.  Wow.  Sometimes I forget how absurdly, absurdly good this early 70's stuff was; once the bad drugs really got a hold on them they took a hit on their nimbleness as a band.  But this is god-level. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

rowjimmy

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mattstick

Yo what?  I knew about 4/2/73 with that wild HCS but I don't think I've listened to that 3/31/73 show before....   there was one other time I think Rider appeared in a goofy spot and I want to say it was Fall '72 but I'm not sure, and I want to say it came out of Dark Star or something big like that.  Fuck, that's going to bother me now...

Your post was bothering me, so I got out my Deadbase and learned that outside of 3/31/73 there is no electric I Know You Rider that doesn't follow China Cat until 11/10/85.

mattstick

Marmar

found a bunch of uncirculated dead shows in this box...and some ratdog....stay tuned
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

VA $l!m

Quote from: mattstick on September 13, 2018, 08:44:28 PM

Your post was bothering me, so I got out my Deadbase and learned that outside of 3/31/73 there is no electric I Know You Rider that doesn't follow China Cat until 11/10/85.
you made me curious so i was looking as well. pretty crazy it looks like it only happened 3 times total outside of acoustic sets.
as for what Gumbo's thinking of, my best guess is maybe Cumberland? outta darkstar 9-27-72. but who knows, lol.

random aside: one of the other weird ones i found around that time was 2-26 Lincoln show has the only time 1/2 step came outta Eyes. I just had a feeling when i was listening to it that it sounded like a transition i'd never heard before and sure enough after looking it up it was th eonly time it happened, lol.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on September 14, 2018, 12:22:14 AM

you made me curious so i was looking as well. pretty crazy it looks like it only happened 3 times total outside of acoustic sets.
as for what Gumbo's thinking of, my best guess is maybe Cumberland? outta darkstar 9-27-72. but who knows, lol.

random aside: one of the other weird ones i found around that time was 2-26 Lincoln show has the only time 1/2 step came outta Eyes. I just had a feeling when i was listening to it that it sounded like a transition i'd never heard before and sure enough after looking it up it was th eonly time it happened, lol.

Random aside:  I happened to listen to Lincoln last night and it is still as glorious as the day I first heard it.  That shit is my jam!

VA $l!m

Quote from: Caravan2001 on September 14, 2018, 10:11:36 AM
Quote from: VA $l!m on September 14, 2018, 12:22:14 AM

Random aside:  I happened to listen to Lincoln last night and it is still as glorious as the day I first heard it.  That shit is my jam!
yeah the thing that really got me this last listen was how hot the first set actually was. i mean the 2nd set is a given, but check out Jerry/Billy locked in especially in some of those first set songs.

Gumbo72203

Slim and Matt - see my post on the previous page.  Turns out I was thinking of 9/24/72 where it goes Dark Star -> China Cat -> Rider.  I was close haha

Also, I listened to RJ's suggestion of 9/11/74 Seastones -> Eyes -> Wharf.  What a ride.  You can tell the band is puddled something fierce. 

If you haven't listened to 9/24/72 in a while... mannnnn what a show.  The 4 minutes of jam after the Drums break in Dark Star is exactly what I love most about the Dead. 
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

VA $l!m

found my spindle of Sick Bits Matrixes the other day id totally forgotten about, and have started plawing through them for my daily listen.  :music:

Some real fun stuff so far, and currently making my way through 6-9-76 Boston, first post hiatus E Coast show/ 1st St stephen since 71, etc.
Funny thing listening to all the audience request shout outs in this one, and when someon called for Rider it got me thinking that they didnt end up bringing it back in 76... so i checked DB and sure enough they only China/Rider once (12-29-77) in all of 76, 77, 78. 
Seems crazy when think of how much of a standard it was for the majority of their career.

VA $l!m

just finished up 8-3-82 Starlight (sick bits) - amazing show. check it out if you havent recently. guarantee youll be melting by the Stella Blue. 
https://archive.org/details/gd82-08-03.matrix.chappell.30705.sbeok.flacf

Caravan2001

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 19, 2018, 02:42:42 PM
just finished up 8-3-82 Starlight (sick bits) - amazing show. check it out if you havent recently. guarantee youll be melting by the Stella Blue. 

Will give this one a replay.  Been a while.

jam>

Old tape I had back in the day. Good show and the first I think for 82. The space is more like a coherent jam. I dig that.

Caravan2001

Yeah dude...just gave this matrix a spin.  It's amazing.