News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R13/W03: 11/18/96, Mid South Coliseum, Memphis, TN

Started by birdman, October 23, 2011, 10:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

After listening to absolute crap the last two weeks, I decided we all needed some perspective on what "Worst of" really means. Here it is, my most hated 1.0 show. I walked out of this one disgusted and so began my first jaded period. I honestly dont think I've ever gone back and listened to this whole show. Although, I have heard the "Simple" a few times since it was on the Vegas bonus disc. I expect this to be loads better than the last few weeks picks, but see if you can garner up some hate for this one.

Monday, 11/18/1996
Mid-South Coliseum, Memphis, TN
Set 1: Cars Trucks Buses, Timber (Jerry), Poor Heart > Taste, Billy Breathes, Chalk Dust Torture, Guelah Papyrus, Ginseng Sullivan, Reba[1], Character Zero
Set 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Simple -> Swept Away > Steep > Scent of a Mule, Tweezer[2], Hello My Baby[2], Tweezer Reprise[2] > Llama[2]
Encore: Waste, Johnny B. Goode[2]
[1] No whistling.
[2] Gary Gazaway on trumpet.
Notes: Reba did not have the whistling ending. Tweezer through Llama and Johnny B. Goode featured Gary Gazaway on trumpet.

tagged 256 http://www.sendspace.com/file/sd9ibd

lossless  http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=549304

Thanks to Aug for upping these for me
Paug FTMFW!

Lifeboy

I got this show on disc not too long after I would have considered myself somewhat knowledgeable about Phish, and I remember how I decided that it was by far my least favorite show I had. I think I gave away the discs to some random kid at school, and told him "you're probably gonna hate it" or something like that. :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

mattstick

I can think of a few shows that are worse from Fall '96.

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Lifeboy

Quote from: mattstick on October 23, 2011, 10:25:37 PM

I haven't listened to Fall '96 in quite some time, but I think I remember 11/11 being less than spectacular.

Can't think of any other shows off the top of my head.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

birdman

Quote from: mattstick on October 23, 2011, 10:25:37 PM

I should note this is my most hated "attended" show. There are plenty of worse 1.0 shows out there.
Paug FTMFW!

mattstick

I like 11/11 too. 10/16/96 is worse than this one.

Lifeboy

cactusfan

the Simple is excellent. never heard the rest of the show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Lifeboy on October 23, 2011, 11:55:54 PM
Quote from: mattstick on October 23, 2011, 11:08:05 PM
I like 11/11 too. 10/16/96 is worse than this one.

Ah yes, 10/16.

Show sucks.

10-16-1996 is the worse Phish show I have ever been in attendance for.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

G. Augusto

Quote from: cactusfan on October 24, 2011, 12:12:22 AM
the Simple is excellent. never heard the rest of the show.

Also, this is really the first 2001 where the really took a chance with it.
This is the version that made the 12-06-1996 2001 so funky.

DoW

I'll have last week and this week up by mid week
I can't seem to make it through last weeks pick.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

G. Augusto

We have a real HATER here, folks. His name is Birdman.
I'm not sure if it's 'cause I haven't heard this show in almost 5 years or that I started it as soon as I finished Ram's 2011 pick, but I enjoyed it immensely.
This is the high energy Phish that I love.
Granted, the show on paper is not all that exciting and this did follow two fantastic shows at the Kiel and in Omaha (also followed by another monster show), but it is cracklin' with energy and risk.
Hopefully, you change your stance on it after a revisit, Bird.

CTB - Played often during the Tour. Trey on the mini-kit. Fine start.

Timber - Hadn't appeared this early in a show since 10-06-1989, where it had opened. Unlike last week's pick, this one was concise but purposeful.

Heart - Dexterous solo by Trey. Page gets a tad caught up on his, but nothing big.

Taste - Not a Taste fan, but this one is extremely tight with some great leadwork by Trey. They absolutely NAIL the ending.

Billy - Kind of a downer in this slot. Mike gets a little lost during the end and Trey pretty much plays the solo the way it appears on the album, which I love. Such a great and unconventional solo.

Chalk - Back at it. This set actually has some good flow, despite the BB. Plenty of fire throughout the jam. Two great moments of tension followed by proper peaks. Band takes it out with one more peak followed by another nailed ending.

Ginseng - Breather.

Reba - 9 songs in and the first real sign of meatiness. OK composed sections. Trey kinda just stops playing during the first "chase" sequence between him and Page. Decent jam. Not much of a memorable version considering the many A+ versions found during '96. I find the 10-21 to be quite underrated from this Tour. No whistling.

Zero - Couple of cool licks by Trey during the verses. Kicking solo alert! *LUV* the '96 versions all hard-like with the vocal outro. "Take it easy".

I liked the first set as a whole. Pretty typical for a Fall '96 1st set, but is absolutely bursting with energy which is lacking these days.

2001 - As mentioned above, this one is really the 1st version to get out there and pretty much started the "long" 2001 movement. A 3:30 intro ( :-o) and band kicks in nice and fast. Fish is pretty active as far as 2001 goes. They finally drop the first note at 7:10 in (take that, 3.0) and the crowd eats it up. Page takes his turn on the Rhodes on the second time around playing over Trey's wah chording. Great versions.

Simple - Trey laughing a bit. Harmonies are sounding pretty tight. Love the standard Simple jam out of it. Plenty of tasteful and thoughtful playing by Trey. Loop ~7 in and onto the mini-kit at 7:40. Back to the guitar less than 3 minutes later which is what really separates this Simple from other Fall versions. They return to the jam, but it's now out of standard Simple territory. Trey starts his massive bends @12:15 which starts leading toward the epic meat of this jam. A truly majestic jam follows. Loops and space for the last minute. One of the Top 5 versions right there and a BEEF combo weighing in at 30 minutes to open the set.

Swept/Steep - Segue works well into this pairing. Loop still playing during Swept Away. >>>

Scent - I can see how this trio of songs could drain it out of you, Bird and I've never met someone that hated Scent as much as I do until I met Birdman, BUT....this versions RIPS! Fast tempo with a maniacal Page solo. Trey starts him with some simple vocal mimicry and then gets funky with his notes. Crowd clapping along (except for Bird.) They finish the Duel and Trey gets a little tripped up with the fast ending. Extended vocal section by Mike. Great version.

Tweezer - Boom. Buho walks out around 5 in. Band lays a nice, solid groove down for him. Doesn't really add much, tho. Some guests are better left in the hotel. Kinda meh version.

Hello - Fun, with Buho and a tad of triangle?

Reprise - With Buho

Llama - 3.0 fakeout! FUN FACT! Llama hadn't closed a second set since 10-18-1994 which was also in TN and is also one of Bird's most FAVORITIST attended show!

Waste - yeah, no.

JBG - OK w/ the horn. I'm a big fan of most of the '95/'96 versions, but this one wasn't all that hot save for a brief solo by Trey that was impressive.

Welp, I cannot even HATE on this one, HATEman.
For Fall '96, I give it a B+/B.
For today, it would be a solid A.

whatapiper

I will enjoy this one.  I fall in the camp of people who really enjoy what 96 did for the Phish.  It was also my first year seeing them live so I'm partial for a few reasons.   I have not been able to get through last weeks pick yet so this will be a solid motivator to do so.   I'm also stoked my worst attended has yet to be picked...
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

rowjimmy

I listened to this show and it was not as bad as the rest of the bullshit in the club so far.

The fact that I even listened to it says something.

It didn't do a whole lot for me but it did, at least, sound like Phish back when they still remembered how to play their songs. Honestly, though, I don't think I noticed any actual highlights. It was just sorta playing the whole morning and never really demanded anything of me. Sorta like an easy listening station at the Dentist.