News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

HBO GO

Started by VDB, February 13, 2013, 10:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

The insistence that you have HBO as part of a home cable service stunts the profitability of this (and Showtime's) application. 

I don't have cable tv and I'm not interested in getting cable tv.  Between the local stations, hulu, netflix, and the internet, I'm never lacking in something to watch. 

I'd gladly pay a small monthly fee to use this app, such as the fee I pay for netflix and hulu, but that option is not available.  Instead, they insist that I pay a large monthly fee (a cable subscription+HBO), mainly filled with content that I'm not interested in viewing.

Insistence on an old business model despite the profitability of the new model.  Kinda reminds me of another industry.   

rowjimmy

Kinda makes me not feel too bad about getting my Game Of Thrones through other means...

mattstick

So many people are locked into getting their TV for $80/month through a large Telcom.

The difference between the Cable TV industry and the Music industry is the fact that their core consumers are older, and less willing to steal/cheat their way into getting content, also they have agreements with the NFL.

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

WillBreathes

tipsyfuddledboozygroggyelevatedprimedidedither

nab

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on February 25, 2013, 09:09:29 AM
Forbes article on why HBO doesn't offer a la carte service.

Interesting. 

Though, the article seems to treat delivery of HBO programing as an all or nothing proposition.  Maybe I'm a little slow understanding the absolutes of corporate relationships, but it seems there is a little more room for creative delivery strategies than the article presents.

I think this is also an important point:

Quote from: mattstick on February 25, 2013, 08:42:06 AM

So many people are locked into getting their TV for $80/month through a large Telcom.

The difference between the Cable TV industry and the Music industry is the fact that their core consumers are older, and less willing to steal/cheat their way into getting content, also they have agreements with the NFL.

Though, the music industry has been focused on selling products to those with discretionary income; both older and younger.  The youngest fans still buy the majority of the pop cheese, while the older fans will still shell out $100+ for a Doors box with one unreleased/remastered track.       

gainesvillegreen

I see Carnivale is now being offered in the service, so that is pretty awesome.

One on my lasting memories of that show was the whore who offered her anus to her true love as a sign of fidelity to him, so that he wouldn't tread where other men did frequently.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

VDB

For those who have an Apple TV: HBO GO is now a native app, finally.

I usually put off accepting the constant Apple TV updates because, well, the notification pops up when I'm about to start using the thing. Turns out this latest update was worthwhile. Oh, and Watch ESPN is also now built-in.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

My brother-in-law gave us his HBO GO name and password so that we didn't have to find less reputable ways of watching Game of Thrones. Last night I started watching Carnivale with the wife. I watched it when it originally aired, but she's never seen it. I did preface our watching it with 'Are you ok with watching a show that has absolutely no ending?'.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

VDB

For those who haven't checked out True Detective yet (it premiered on Sunday), you should. HBO has another winner on their hands. Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey are quite good.

Apparently each season of this show will be eight episodes, and the cast, characters and story will change each season.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on January 15, 2014, 10:39:43 AM
For those who haven't checked out True Detective yet (it premiered on Sunday), you should. HBO has another winner on their hands. Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey are quite good.

Apparently each season of this show will be eight episodes, and the cast, characters and story will change each season.

That's definitely queued up for the wife and I to watch.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mehead

I watched it last night.

Brilliant.
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

PIE-GUY

confirmed - great pilot episode - I'm hooked.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: PG on January 15, 2014, 10:52:38 AM

confirmed - great pilot episode - I'm hooked.

I wouldn`t say I`m hooked yet but I will probably be tuning in next week.  I love the idea of new characters each season.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mbw

sweet, forgot about this.  will check it out tonight.