News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Umphrey's McGee

Started by macaronihead, June 19, 2011, 12:44:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoW

I just sort of laugh now when people think there are only 1 or 2 bands out there that don't have the talent to improvise.
I never like to get into it because defending one band usually means being negative towards another and I have no need to do that.
I can't listen to UM 24/7 (I can't and never have been able to listen to any band 24/7).
what UM does, they do very well.  they are a very tight band and they segue very well.  there are a lot of good things going on at a UM show.  I'm not blown away very often at shows, but I was at times Saturday.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

McGrupp

Quote from: DoW on May 06, 2014, 05:21:02 AM
I just sort of laugh now when people think there are only 1 or 2 bands out there that don't have the talent to improvise.
I never like to get into it because defending one band usually means being negative towards another and I have no need to do that.
I can't listen to UM 24/7 (I can't and never have been able to listen to any band 24/7).
what UM does, they do very well.  they are a very tight band and they segue very well.  there are a lot of good things going on at a UM show.  I'm not blown away very often at shows, but I was at times Saturday.

People won't shut up about it on Twitter.

I'm not sure if it was fluff or if the show was that good, but people were all "it was the best musical experience I've ever witnessed".

24 hour rule was not in effect, and drugs were, so... yeah.

There's been like an Umphrey's fan revival or something, over the past few years. The band was good back in 04-06... then sucked for a number of years, then starting in 2010-2011, get way better than before. What happened?
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

DoW

Quote from: McGrupp on May 06, 2014, 09:10:09 AM
Quote from: DoW on May 06, 2014, 05:21:02 AM

People won't shut up about it on Twitter.

I'm not sure if it was fluff or if the show was that good, but people were all "it was the best musical experience I've ever witnessed".

24 hour rule was not in effect, and drugs were, so... yeah.

There's been like an Umphrey's fan revival or something, over the past few years. The band was good back in 04-06... then sucked for a number of years, then starting in 2010-2011, get way better than before. What happened?
"best musical experience of my life" is a bit of a stretch, but that's only because I've seen a ton of good music over time.

I don't know what it is.  I don't know if people go in with lower expectations or the shows are easy and convenient (no hassle getting tickets and cheaper tickets) but I'm finding that people at smaller shows are just there for the music and love the music.  it is a great feeling when on a night like Saturday when everyone is leaving happy (drugs or not) and you don't hear people complaining.

you obviously have to like what they do, but they do it well.  they are tight.
I haven't relistened to Saturday so I don't know how it holds up but I'm real glad I went and saw that.

VDB

Quote from: DoW on May 06, 2014, 10:53:14 AM
I don't know what it is.  I don't know if people go in with lower expectations or the shows are easy and convenient (no hassle getting tickets and cheaper tickets) but I'm finding that people at smaller shows are just there for the music and love the music.  it is a great feeling when on a night like Saturday when everyone is leaving happy (drugs or not) and you don't hear people complaining.

Could be something to this. Could be also a matter of perception.

Intimacy (and even simply volume) can make a show feel more energetic and satisfying. Why does the show usually suck more on the lawn than under the roof? One big reason, to me anyway, is you just feel more removed from the performance.

I'm pretty certain that if I saw Phish perform the exact same show from Jazz Fest at the tiny Athens club where I saw Dopapod last month, I'd have fewer things to nit pick about.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Quote from: DoW on May 05, 2014, 07:43:16 PM
I know this board doesn't have much umphreys love but UM Bowl was freaking awesome.

05/03/2014 • The Capitol Theatre • Port Chester, NY
Set 1: Gents, Skin the Cat, Onward & Upward, Mad Love
Set 2: Rebubula, All Things Ninja, Crazy Fingers, #5, Brain Damage > Eclipse
Set 3: Stew Art Event
Set 4: The Haunt > The Triple Wide > Wife Soup, Flamethrower > FF, Space Funk Booty > Mulche's Odyssey
Encore: Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang, Much Obliged > Glory

I splurged and got VIP which came with free Lagunitas while they lasted.  well VIP was really undersold while GA was really oversold.
VIP also had a real cool thing that you can go to the side of the stage in a little raised area and watch the show from there.  sound wasn't good and you couldn't see Waful's lights from there but it was real cool just watching the band.  (lately my favorite shows have been Boston musicians playing in a lot of project oriented bands and I just enjoy watching them interact on stage).
great night and the Cap is freaking awesome.  nicest staff in new england too.

Listening to the show today via archive.org.

So Tony Reali must be a big UM fan? Interesting Around the Horn bit. Also, lol at Bill Plaschke, who I believe they probably did intentionally leave in the dark just for yuks.

Is this still Wombat?

jstepan

ESPN Host Tony Reali Guests With Umphrey's McGee

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/120761/ESPN-Host-Tony-Reali-Guests-With-Umphrey%27s-McGee

Also, did anyone else get the chance to try the headphones and snowcones during the the april run? I got a chance to listen for a few songs with the headphones during the show in detroit. It was a real treat, talk about a sublime listening experience. Audio quality was exquisite and i was able to walk around the venue with no problems. If they do this again, pony up the extra bucks you wont regret it. 

http://umphreys.com/2013/04/headphones-snowcones-on-the-april-tour/
Λ Σ Δ
to Use your head... you have to go out of your mind... Dr Tim Leary

one day we'll figure out the mathematical formula that describes the universe, then, our whole reality will dissolve and a sign will pop up that says 'level two'.

DoW

I think they have been doing the headphones thing for a year or so now (at least the shows I have gone to).
everyone I've talked to using them has loved them.

anthrax

All in all, I was extremely impressed with the professionalism of Umphrey's McGee at Summer Camp.  They were all over this event, playing some 7 different times.  At moments, they were amazing.  From a lights/sound/musical tightness perspective, their live show is absolutely perfect.  When they crunch into their super dark heavy metal stuff, it's music to my ears.  Other times, it's almost too clean and too perfect, if that makes sense.  They are definitely not the next big thing for me, but I really appreciated what they do. 

anthrax

DoW

Halloween in Boston.  can't wait.
I did the UM webcast on Tour Gigs this past weekend.  this band is on fire right now.

emay

Yeah I was at the red rocks show.
im not a big umph fan
it was fun, I enjoyed the motet opening.
My friends that are umphreaks said it was a good show though.
Hollywood Nights was a sick cover haha

DoW

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 09, 2014, 11:09:26 AM
im not a big umph fan
on this board, I thought fun shows translate into the best band ever.  :wink:

I did enjoy the Motet set as well.

iamhydroJen

Quote from: DoW on July 09, 2014, 11:37:40 AM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 09, 2014, 11:09:26 AM
im not a big umph fan
on this board, I thought fun shows translate into the best band ever.  :wink:

I did enjoy the Motet set as well.

Had a great time at this show, but Umphrey's does not disappoint at Red Rocks.  Bummed I didn't get there in time for Moon Taxi though!
"Years later, I found out they'd signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.  The head of Decca, Dick Rowe, made a canny prediction: 'Guitar groups are on the way out, Mr. Epstein.'" - George Harrison

Undermind

From Tourgigs.com
QuoteFor Umphrey's McGee fans:
TourGigs would like to apologize to anyone who tuned in to watch Umphrey's McGee 2000th show live stream from Madison, WI. We have determined that an undetected bug in the server caused lag and delay for many viewers. We know the 2000th show was a special one, so we are going to upload the entire show, song by song, to the Umphrey's McGee YouTube channel so you can relive it whenever you want.
Furthermore, we will be replaying 4 UM shows from the Fall Tour for the next 4 days for free. Beginning tonight at 8 pm CST, we will play the October 25th show from Grand Rapids. The show will be on constant replay for 24 hours, and we will "trim the fat," so you don't have to sit through the dead space before the show and between sets.
All shows begin a 8:00pm CST and run for 24 hours:
November 10: Replay of Grand Rapids (10/25)
November 11: Replay of Boston (11/01)
November 12: Replay of Kalamazoo (11/06)
November 13: Replay of Binghamton (10/29)
Tune in tonight here: http://tourgigs.com/show/umphreysmcgee_falltour2014_live/
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

Superfreakie

Quote from: DoW on July 09, 2014, 09:38:46 AM
Halloween in Boston.

How was it? I'm assuming you went.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.