News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1TB USB Flash Thumb Drive launched at CES

Started by Superfreakie, January 09, 2013, 11:43:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfreakie

http://www.batangastoday.com/1tb-flash-drive-unveiled-at-ces-2013-kingston-datatraveler-hyperx-predator-3-0-worlds-largest-capacity-usb/27170/

Quote1TB flash drive unveiled at CES 2013, Kingston DataTraveler HyperX Predator 3.0, world's largest capacity USB

By Angel Cuala on Jan 9, 2013

A 1TB flash drive was unveiled by Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., during the Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2013), called the DataTraveler HyperX Predator. Given the size of this USB, this is an amazing device having a capacity of 1,024 GB.

As noted in the press release at Kingston.com on Monday, January 7, 2013, this Kingston DataTraveler HyperX Predator 3.0 1TB flash drive is the world's largest capacity USB 3.0 Flash drive, with speeds of up to 240MB/s read and 160MB/s write. It has also achieved SuperSpeed USB 3.0 certification.

"Our new DataTraveler HyperX Predator 3.0 allows users to store their entire digital world on a portable USB 3.0 Flash drive," Andrew Ewing, Flash memory business manager, Kingston, was quoted in the report, with the device also to be made available at 32GB and 64GB versions.

"The large capacity and fast USB 3.0 transfer speeds allow users to save time as they can access, edit and transfer applications or files such as HD movies directly from the drive without any performance lag," Ewing added. The 512GB version of this USB is now available, but the 1TB flash drive will be available at Q1 2013.

For the size of this 1TB flash drive, the dimensions are 2.84″ x 1.06″ x 0.82″ (72mm x 26.94mm x 21mm) excluding the attached key ring, and will be 3.49″ long (88.53mm) with the key ring on it. In addition, its shock-resistant zinc alloy metal casing serves as the protection of the device from the environment.

The size may not really be amazing, since it is close to the average size of an ordinary pocket-sized flash drive; but with the superb capacity, this 1TB flash drive is very much useful to people who work on huge-capacity videos or graphics files, or even to gamers traveling with their entire library, among others.

As of this writing, Kingston has not announced the price of the 1TB flash drive; but since their 512GB version is worth $1,750, it can be therefore assumed that its price will be more or less doubled. Sounds expensive?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

antelope19

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

DoW

obviously, that's awesome but the price will still need to come down a lot for it to be reasonable for music storage.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

Superfreakie

Quote from: DoW on January 09, 2013, 11:49:55 AM
obviously, that's awesome but the price will still need to come down a lot for it to be reasonable for music storage.

give it about 5 years.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

mattstick

DoW

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 09, 2013, 12:02:40 PM
Quote from: DoW on January 09, 2013, 11:49:55 AM

give it about 5 years.
agreed.  I'm also hoping that by then cloud storage is more affordable as well.
Music is meant to be heard
***Support Bands That Allow Taping/Trading***

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Brian%20V.%22&sort=-publicdate

mattstick

Crashplan has unlimited Cloud Storage for $3/month... did you want it cheaper than that?

twatts

Quote from: mattstick on January 09, 2013, 01:21:26 PM

Crashplan has unlimited Cloud Storage for $3/month... did you want it cheaper than that?

LOL!  Are they going to let me back-up my 6tb PH collection there???

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will
I want better than average skill
I want a million dollar bill
And I want it all in a Pill

mattstick

Sure.  Why not?

I have ~ 600GB of GD MP3s on Crashplan.

twatts

Quote from: mattstick on January 09, 2013, 02:08:27 PM

Sure.  Why not?

I'll have to check it out...  Until then, I'll use Jason Sobel and Jeff Mitchell as my back-up...

Terry
Oh! That! No, no, no, you're not ready to step into The Court of the Crimson King. At this stage in your training an album like that could turn you into an evil scientist.

----------------------

I want super-human will

Caravan2001

Superfreakie

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on January 09, 2013, 03:24:02 PM

Sure.  Why not?

I'll have to check it out...  Until then, I'll use Jason Sobel and Jeff Mitchell as my back-up...

Terry

I'm in the same boat. Uploading +60TB to a cloud is just too much.

twatts

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 10, 2013, 12:14:30 AM

Sure.  Why not?

Terry

Where is my 1x petabyte drive?!?

Terry

----------------------

I want super-human will

mbw

Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on January 10, 2013, 01:24:57 AM

Sure.  Why not?

Terry

Terry

What's a petabyte, Walter?

mistercharlie

Quote from: mirthbeatenworker on January 10, 2013, 01:55:05 AM
Quote from: twatts likes ghoti on January 10, 2013, 01:24:57 AM

Sure.  Why not?

Terry

Terry

What's a petabyte, Walter?

Well played!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.