News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Political Vids/Images

Started by rowjimmy, March 19, 2008, 03:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nab

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 04, 2012, 08:49:49 AM
Quote from: nab on March 03, 2012, 12:32:50 PM

I would argue that corporate interests are inherently interested in maximizing profit and willing to throw in with any political movement that fulfills that end.

I would argue that Rupert Murdoch is extremely conservative and built Fox News to sell that point of view to the masses.

Is it the chicken or the egg:  Did Murdoch set up a media outlet because he truly believes in the message of conservatism as a political movement or because conservatism espouses the laissez faire philosophy that allows him to maximize his profits from a created media outlet.  Or both?

The sticky question here that no one wants to answer is:  What is truth, is it absolute, and can it be accurately reported. 

sls.stormyrider

Agree that there's always a fair bit of grey, but we have seen some pretty interesting fabrications.
Ex
The birthers
The so called death panels
Obama is a Muslim

Yes, we allow free speech and I'm thankful but a "news" organization has a responsibility to do something called fact checking, a procedure that seems to have been forgotten by some so called reporters
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

Quote from: slslbs on March 04, 2012, 05:52:37 PM
Agree that there's always a fair bit of grey, but we have seen some pretty interesting fabrications.
Ex
The birthers
The so called death panels
Obama is a Muslim

Yes, we allow free speech and I'm thankful but a "news" organization has a responsibility to do something called fact checking, a procedure that seems to have been forgotten by some so called reporters

Exactly, there is bias and then there is selling lies while being fully aware that your content has no basis in fact.

That's the difference between Fox and say CNN in my mind.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sunrisevt

Quote from: nab on March 04, 2012, 11:20:08 AM

I would argue that corporate interests are inherently interested in maximizing profit and willing to throw in with any political movement that fulfills that end.

I would argue that Rupert Murdoch is extremely conservative and built Fox News to sell that point of view to the masses.

Is it the chicken or the egg:  Did Murdoch set up a media outlet because he truly believes in the message of conservatism as a political movement or because conservatism espouses the laissez faire philosophy that allows him to maximize his profits from a created media outlet.  Or both?

The sticky question here that no one wants to answer is:  What is truth, is it absolute, and can it be accurately reported. 

I was hoping to avoid the post-structuralist fog by using terms like "real-world" and "practical" ...
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

nab

Quote from: sunrisevt on March 04, 2012, 08:34:18 PM
Quote from: nab on March 04, 2012, 11:20:08 AM

I was hoping to avoid the post-structuralist fog by using terms like "real-world" and "practical" ...

Apparently we haven't had enough conversations yet then.   :-D

But seriously, the terms "real-world", "practical" and "common sense" really only make sense when both people in the conversation share a similar worldview.  They are of little use in mixed company. 

sunrisevt

Yeesh. Fair enough. Awesome avatar.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

gah

I enjoyed reading/following this discussion greatly. Nab, your input on the the paug is always missed while you're off playing in the dirt.  :-P
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

mbw

lotta talk for a picture thread...

nab

Alright, back to the endless repetition of cleaver tag lines then:

VDB

Time for another hilarious foxnews.com poll! Take a look at these brilliant options and their scores. I think this picture speaks for itself.

Is this still Wombat?

kellerb

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on March 06, 2012, 10:16:40 AM
Time for another hilarious foxnews.com poll! Take a look at these brilliant options and their scores. I think this picture speaks for itself.

Is that the first foxnews poll ever where only 8.84% agree with Rush's ACTUAL EXCUSE?

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mbw

Hicks

Racism is a thing of the past.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

VDB

Quote from: PIE-GUY on March 15, 2012, 04:21:58 PM
double-you-tee-eff?????

Not to mention, the pun kinda falls flat when swapping out the original word gives the message the exact opposite meaning.
Is this still Wombat?