News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Album Listened To?

Started by August, May 21, 2006, 02:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Been going through a lot of new stuff I've picked up recently and some old ones that hadn't made their way through yet. This is the last few weeks of listening at the Budd house.

Allman Brothers Band, The - Brothers Of The Road (Arista - AL 9564)
Allman Brothers Band, The - Seven Turns (Epic - E 46144)
Bruce Cockburn - The Trouble With Normal (True North Records, True North Records - TN53, TN 53)
Buddy Holly - The Buddy Holly Story (Coral - CRL 57279)
David Bowie - Scary Monsters (RCA Victor - AQL1-3647)
Derek & The Dominos - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs (Polydor - 2625 005)
Duke Ellington And His Orchestra - The Duke Ellington Carnegie Hall Concerts January 1946 (Prestige - P-24074)
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus (Island Records - ILPS 9155)
James Brown - Sex Machine Today (Polydor - PD 6042)
James Moody - Moody's Mood For Love (Cadet Records - LPS-613)
Jimmy Smith - Livin' It Up! (Verve Records, Verve Records - V6-8750, V6/8750)
John Lee Hooker - Live At Soledad Prison (ABC Records - ABCX-761)
Kiev - Falling Bough Wisdom Teeth (Suspended Sunrise Recordings - none)
Kiev - Ain't No Scary Folks In On Around Here (Not On Label - 824767465724)
Led Zeppelin - Coda (Swan Song - 79 00511)
Leo Sayer - Endless Flight (Warner Bros. Records - KBS 3101)
Max Sedgley - Happy / Two Way / Slowly (Irma On Canvas - IC 209)
Miles Davis - Basic Miles - The Classic Performances Of Miles Davis (Columbia - PC 32025)
Miles Davis - We Want Miles (Columbia - C2 38005)
Nirvana - Bleach (Sub Pop - SP034)
Ray McKenzie And His Orchestra - Remember When: Count Basie's And Duke Ellington's Greatest Hits (FM Veri Sonics - VS-104)
Richie Havens - Mixed Bag (Verve Forecast - FTS-3006)
Rolling Stones, The - Emotional Rescue (Rolling Stones Records - XCOC 16015)
Rolling Stones, The - Made In The Shade (Rolling Stones Records - COC 79102)
Snoop Doggy Dogg* - Doggystyle (Death Row Records (2) - DRR 63002-1)
Supertramp - Breakfast In America (A&M Records - SP-3708)
Thelonious Monk - Pure Monk (Milestone Records, Milestone Records - Milestone 47004, MSP-47004)
Tragically Hip, The - Fully Completely (MCA Records - 0254704109)
Wes Montgomery - Wes Montgomery (MGM Records - GAS 120)
Yehudi Menuhin & Ravi Shankar - West Meets East (His Master's Voice - ASD 2294)
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mopper_smurf

The Tubes - What Do You Want From Live
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

susep

I love the Afro-Cuban.

This album didn't live up to my own hype.

Prime BB.

Not bad however I like live Messengers better, see below. 

Hot band, this album cooks.

Aug, I think you would like this one.  Grant Green does some nice stuff on this one. 

Nice roots here, track 2 on side 1 is quite good.

Just in case. 

picked this up today new for $13.00(I used some bullmoose points;).  Not the greatest fidelity as it is sourced from an FM recording(also imported from England) however the playing, like you would expect from this period is fuego.  Really hoping MOV will release this Summer's Miles at Newport box on vinyl. 

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mopper_smurf

:phish: - Amsterdam

The Aristocrats - Tres Caballeros
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Mr. Natural

Sonic Youth - GOO  (June 26, 1990)

This got re-released a few years ago with 8-track demos on disc 2. I fuckin' love this album. When it came out, I had heard about the band, but hadn't heard them. There was a bit of a stink about this being on a major label, but once I saw the videos for KOOL THING and DIRTY BOOTS, I knew I'd dig it.

And I found this photo a couple years ago ...

Plus, as I looked for ^ photo, I found a lot of parodies of it, too.

We were all ready to pedal like hell to get that rocketship into orbit

Mr. Natural

Robert Wyatt - ROCK BOTTOM  (July 26, 1974)

I've read about RW a lot - knew he was in Soft Machine, knew he was English avant-rock royalty, knew he had been in a wheelchair since "the accident;" but I didn't know what that accident was. I had listened to a little bit of Soft Machine, but, not knowing what to really listen for, it didn't make a deep impression on me. He seemed to have quite a discography, so it seemed a bit daunting to 'get into' his music. Then I heard his cover of "At Last I Am Free" on the radio and decided to track some of his music down. This album was the first one to come in for me at the library.
He gives a background to the album in the liner notes ("the odd history of a piece of music" he titled it). I couldn't believe it, but I looked it up and it all appears to be true.
Damn.
This is quite a point to jump into his music on. I've only listened to the album once, but I was able to read along the lyrics and situate them into his life at the time. I look forward to spending some more time with this one.

Kate

I've a seemingly pathological obsession with this album and its Springsteen-esque grit, pathos, and tales of weakness, struggle, and failure, but ultimately redemption, reconciliation, or simply resigned acceptance of the immutable beast within. 

peace, K
Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?

barnesy305

Quote from: Kate on June 17, 2015, 06:28:48 PM
I've a seemingly pathological obsession with this album and its Springsteen-esque grit, pathos, and tales of weakness, struggle, and failure, but ultimately redemption, reconciliation, or simply resigned acceptance of the immutable beast within. 

peace, K

Nice, I'm assuming you've heard his work with the Dead Boys?

mopper_smurf

Peter Gabriel - 06.05.04 Rotterdam

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Mr. Natural

Listening to John Cusack on The Nerdist podcast, and the rest of the press for LOVE & MERCY, I decided to bust out

PET SOUNDS - Beach Boys  (May 16, 1966)

Bought this back in the '90s. I kept hearing/reading about it so much, I figured it would be worth a listen. I love how it shows different sides/perspectives of the same relationship. HERE TODAY is the ex-bf telling the new one to cherish what he's got. I'M WAITING FOR THE DAY is biding one's time until the amour gets over a rough breakup. The regret and disbelief YOU STILL BELIEVE IN ME, the atonement of THAT'S NOT ME, the dumbstruck ecstacy of DON'T TALK (PUT YOUR HEAD ON MY SHOULDER) - a lot of deep emotions being explored. To say nothing of the ace arrangements & performances ...

SMiLE - Beach Boys (never)

At a party in '98, a musician started playing me some of these tracks, but I largely ignored them because 1) we were in the middle of a party, and 2) because I didn't have any interest in the Beach Boys at the time, much less their 'lost recordings.'
Fast forward to '02, I'm going through a big Brian Wilson phase and I discover a website called The Smile Shop. It's got tons of press from the time the recordings were being made, a pdf version of Dominic Priore's LOOK!LISTEN!VIBRATE!SMILE! book, plus reviews of all the Sea of Tunes bootleg releases. The best part was that they had culled, from all the Sea of Tunes CDs, a likely facsimile of what the SMiLE album may have been. Granted it was just one obsessive's opinion, but a friend of mine downloaded it and put it on a disc for me. Thesmileshop.net was taken down once Brian Wilson re-recorded and re-released the album in '04, so I don't know if there's any way of hearing a '66-'67 version of it anymore. Granted, it's not at all as 'finished' or 'polished' as PET SOUNDS; it's still amazing to play "what if ..."   
In hindsight, while it's easy to hate Mike Love and all the naysayers, it must have been crazy challenging to come back from tours singing "Help Me, Rhonda" and "409" to screaming teenyboppers only to have Brian bust out the spookiness of BICYCLE RIDER or the darker material, announcing that this was the new direction. You can kind of hear him going mad on these recordings, which appeals to my more morbid tastes.   

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

blatboom

so the year is freaking half way over. what's worse is I don't think I can even assemble a top 10 to date. there's a few I haven't had a chance to check out and still more to come that I'm really excited about (Beach House, Beirut, Kurt)

what you got?

Viet Cong
Jamie XX
Lower Dens
Sufjan Stevens
Bjork

The Helio Sequence
Other Lives
Thee Oh Sees
:/

barnesy305

Quote from: blatboom on June 24, 2015, 07:38:17 PM
so the year is freaking half way over. what's worse is I don't think I can even assemble a top 10 to date. there's a few I haven't had a chance to check out and still more to come that I'm really excited about (Beach House, Beirut, Kurt)

what you got?

Viet Cong
Jamie XX
Lower Dens
Sufjan Stevens
Bjork

The Helio Sequence
Other Lives
Thee Oh Sees

I don't know about top ten, but I like the new Panda Bear, Jacco Gardner, Alabama Shakes, the new Unknown Mortal Orchestra is interesting but hasn't quite grabbed me yet, and I've been enjoying the latest Breakfast in Fur.

Hicks

Quote from: blatboom on June 24, 2015, 07:38:17 PM

what you got?

Viet Cong
Jamie XX
Lower Dens
Sufjan Stevens
Bjork

The Helio Sequence
Other Lives
Thee Oh Sees

Panda Bear
Jamie XX
The Orb (best album in years!)
BADBADNOTGOOD - Sour Soul Instrumentals

John Tejada
Faith No More
Dan Deacon
Death Cab for Cutie (not sure if they have improved or if I've gotten lamer but I'm enjoying this one)
Jim O'Rourke

Based off the lead singles Tame Impala is a shoe-in and I'm also looking forward to the new Four Tet and Neon Indian.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.